Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Vintage Tiki Comic Books

Pages: 1 9 replies

A

Yes, that's right, Vintage Tiki Comic books."Dennis the Menace at the Polynesian Cultural Center" 1979. The artists had obviously visited the PCC in order to create this book. It's pretty cool.

This is the comics version of Dick Van Dykes
"Lt.Robinson Crusoe, U.S.N." 1966 Has anyone seen this movie? Dick Van Dyke plays a Navy aviator crash landed on a South Seas Island populated by Headhunters. He hides out in a big stone Idol and tricks the Islander into thinking he is their ancient God.

TC member Hawaiian Dick produces the excellent "Hawaiian Dick" series, are their anymore?
Mahalo,
Al

[ Edited by: Alnshely 2009-04-02 22:42 ]

I saw Lt. Robin Crusoe, U.S.N. when it came out (1966) but I only have sketchy memories of it -- lots of (animated) fireworks at the end that got set off accidentally or something.

Around the same time I had a Dennis the Menace comic book that I recall more vividly -- Dennis and his family on vacation in California. I'm sure it went far in forming my mental image of California.

T

I remember the movie and if I am not mistaken he is rescued off the island by the military in the end.

And if I remember correctly (hopefully the braincells are not all destroyed) the wahine was suppose to be like a Girl Friday.

I thought he was suppose to marry her but he got rescued instead.

UJ

those are great!

this isn't a comic but a cartoon: Lilo & Stich.
I've seen the movie and the cartoon series, I think it's a cool idea and hopefully it will introduce kids to the polynesian culture. Three things that I noticed about it though.
Lilo looks like a Muppet, kinda disturbing.
Her older sister is drawn with freakin HUGE legs! It makes me think if the creater is either a Crumb fan or has the same fixation as Crumb does. One episode I caught a few weeks ago (couldn't sleep late for some reason) Lilo's sister was xmas shopping and went to a Hawaiian merchant looking for some "shrunken heads". he looked at her and then replied "That's not Hawaiian, it's south American." I thought it was odd, but true. But why mention it in a cartoon for kids? I mean the kids probably never seen shrunken heads, but I just thought it was odd.

*** WARNING: I'VE BEEN DRINKING TONIGHT ***
Meaning I may not make sense in today's posts.

T

On the DVD of L&S the animators say the chief animator drew everything with circles. Everything is really round. The ships, the people the cars etc.

UJ

that would explain alot.. esply the noses.

[ Edited by: filslash 2009-04-04 15:20 ]

S

Not vintage and mentioned above, but B. Clay Moore/Steven Griffin's Hawaiian Dick is awesome. Clay is TC member "Hawaiian Dick."

It was a three-issue mini series last year and recently collected in a trade paperback called "Hawaiian Dick: Byrd of Paradise" that includes some extra strips, sketches, and a great illustrated drink menu for the bar where Byrd hangs out.

It's been described as "tiki noir." It's a noir-ish detective piece set in Hawaii in 1953. It's full of tikis.

I think it would appeal to all tiki freaks.

Read more about it at http://www.monkeyfun.com/hawaiiandick/

Also, they have a new four-issue mini series "Hawaiian Dick: the Last Resort" coming "soon," again from Image Comics. I can't wait!

[ Edited by: sjarvis on 2004-01-02 23:33 ]

Z
Zeta posted on Sat, Mar 28, 2009 7:58 PM

Can anyone upload some pictures of the comics described above here?

A

Links fixed.
Mahalo,
Zeta

Pages: 1 9 replies