Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Tiki Bathroom

Pages: 1 11 replies

Aloha, everyone.
Just recently came across this site as I've begun research on my nexy home project - a Tiki themed bathroom!

I am by no means an expert in Tiki couture, which is why I'm seeking out anyone's advice on how to turn me and my girlfriend's bathroom into the most eclectic room in our Hollywood apartment.

Skies the limit on suggestions, but we are working on the typically paltry unemployed filmmaker and actress incomes.
And since its the bathroom, I want to place to be maintainable (not too much grass skirting or sand on the floor).

The room is maybe 5' wide, 8' deep, with a tub at the end opposite the door. A toilet is to your left and a sink to your right as you walk in.

For starters, we're gonna paint the walls a deep lava red. I'm trying to figure out the best color for the ceiling to make it look "open", but still have a night or late evening feel.

Possible run bamboo a few inches below the ceiling, adding some "cross beams" so I can put up parrots.

We're starting from scratch, so, again, any and all suggestions are appreciated...

K
Kanaka posted on Fri, Jan 2, 2004 6:43 AM

You'll have to mount this on the wall!

Scotty

D

There's a book called "Pad The Guide to Ultra-Living" that has alot of fun ideas, Check it out at http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0811826538/qid=1073083813/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/002-3914558-3368808?v=glance&s=books

Yes-Pad is a great book for ideas! I made the toilet seat cover (I chose the male centerfold option) and I'd say that I never had so much fun "crafting"! Definitely pick that book up.

I think that there was a luau-ish themed bathroom in it actually.

D

The author has another book out called "Pad Parties" there is a pretty cool shelf that could be used in a bathroom as well as behind a bar. There are pics and some instructions on how to here:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/0811837858/ref=sib_dp_pt/002-3914558-3368808#reader-page

[ Edited by: DawnTiki on 2004-01-02 16:14 ]

T

What do you mean by making the ceiling look 'open'?

If you have some skills with the paint brush, why not slowly gradate from lava red to magenta to blue as you near the ceiling, then paint the ceiling dark blue and put those glow in the dark stars on the celiling?

The Rev probably has done a "few" wc's in his day. sure he has some ideas.

UJ

A tiki theamed bathroom is a great idea.

I should take photos of my Elvis theamed bathroom/shrine to share with everyone.

Devlin Thompson of Athens, Ga. has about the most jam-packed tiki bathroom I've ever seen. There's more mugs in the bathroom alone than most people have in their entire collection.

On 2004-01-02 17:02, tikifish wrote:
What do you mean by making the ceiling look 'open'?

If you have some skills with the paint brush, why not slowly gradate from lava red to magenta to blue as you near the ceiling, then paint the ceiling dark blue and put those glow in the dark stars on the celiling?

Great idea.
Thanks to everyone else with the other suggestions.
The Tiki toilet dispenser sounds awesome - unfortunately, it isn't made to be mounted on a wall. (I still may try that and then jury-rig it).

Does anyone know if anyone sells faux bamboo? Something plastic, that won't absorb moisture?

Ironically, this now means I can buy one of the cheapest ceiling fans around... the wicker kind. (we need the fan - our litter pan is also in the bathroom)

8T

Just a note of encouragement. YOU CAN DO IT !!! We gave our main bathroom a tropical makeover in only one weekend. It was just the average squat spot before we started and about the same size as yours.
We just used tiki accents where we could and put up palm shower curtain and towels to match. The frilly gold mirror frame has now been painted and covered with split bamboo to look just right. We had some neat 50's deep set frames which we used by putting a couple of old SHAG calendar pages in them. Now our guests really get to enjoy their trip to the toidy. If they get lippy about the decor we hide the t.p. and give em a banana leaf. If you think you don't have just the right accent pieces for the walls, counter or top of tank, be patient and keep looking at the garage sales, fleas etc. You will find the right stuff eventually! Good Luck!!

[ Edited by: 8FT Tiki on 2004-01-04 20:49 ]

I have done a few bathrooms in my past. The last one, I did black Bamboo ceilings. 3 layers of Bamboo,all different sizes tied with coconut rope. The rest of the bathroom was done by other artists. Some cat from Italy "Hand Etched Bamboo" on (or in) floor to ceiling copper grey slate. The sinks, toilet and b'day(sp?) were all hand made by Local Ceramic artists too. There were 3 of these "rooms" in the same room!

I did a "litter box cover" a while back for a dude who played for the Ducks. Paval Trynka? (sp?) Maybe you need to alter the litter box a little too.

Pages: 1 11 replies