Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

HELP! Need instructions on how to do the overhang on bar

Pages: 1 8 replies

G

Hi everyone. My husband and I are trying to get our plans together for the tiki bar that we are building. We already have the actual bar but need some help on how to attach the "overhang" to the wall and over the bar. We are going to use some type of grass attachment from one of the sites someone has sent me, but we aren't sure as to how to attach the actual overhang part to the wall. Does any of this make sense?!?!?!? If anyone can help or point us in the right direction please let me know. I have pictures of what we have so far if you need them.
Thanks,
Tracey

You need to build a frame and attach that to the wall (screws into the studs in the wall work the best). If it's rather large, use some supports that either go back to the wall or down to your bar(look at all the pics on this site). Then attach the "Grass" aka Thatch, onto the frame. Wo-lah! It's party time!

S

On a similar note...

I am wanting to do a "drop ceiling" in my lounge. I want to have the thatch roof overhead. The room is about 12 feet square. My current idea is to have 4 supports in the corners, and run a frame around the top and then build a low brow truss of 4 "beams" going to the center and 4 beams going from the center to the edge in between just as area to support the thatch and add a few other cross beams here and there. I thought I'd go to the woods and cut a bunch of saplings this spring and skin them and let them dry and use that for all the project. Should be able to find them straight and long enough.

I think I can build it okay. I am just wondering if I should maybe assemble it in the back yard first, before I try it in the room. I am also very worried about how strong the structure will be. I plan to hang some floats in there and other stuff.

Is this just crazy thinkin', or can I build this and make it strong enough? I think I know my physics well enough that it will work okay if I get the corners secured together well enough.

I figure I'll buy one of those round umbrella, palapa, covers for the top and finish it out to the edges with regular thatch sheets.

If you cut saplings, cut them now (winter), while the sap is in the roots in the ground. They'll dry faster. I used to build adirondack furniture, too, in an earlier phase.

S

Thanks for the tip BK. I should hit my aunt's property next weekend. Or hell, my property in the counrty! I would just have to put the top down on the convertible and drive back the 50 miles with trees sticking out. If it's 70+ degrees next weekend, no problem! And I can more antique stores!

Hmmm.... drop ceiling.... maybe try a grid of bamboo, lashed in 12"-15" squares, and literally suspend it from the existing ceiling? That would be a good support for thatching, look really cool, and if done right would support all the flotsam you could hang from it.... I don't know how important the look of the support posts are in your design idea.

Just a thought....

Try this on for size!(for a drop ceiling)

Hook up a 2 hp motor to it and make it sway back and forth just enough to have your guests freak out!!

" Swanky? Your drinks are good man! I could swear the ceiling is moving!!"

(Yes, I've been doing display work again. Lots o fun stuff! Look for it in a "Swank Mall" near you!)

p.s. Sap or Pitch?

while the sap is in the roots

Got a good joke for you BK. Take a peice of wood with a knot in it and say, "I thought it was wood? (point to the knot) and say, It's not!!" (construction humor)

S

Ben, you just got me thinkin'. I was trying to envision some way to make a tropical breeze, maybe mount a fan above the roof..., then I thought, mount the speakers above the roof! Get 'em out of sight and have the music come form everywhere/nowhere. I have to think hard to try to creatively top BK. I can't out collect him...

Pages: 1 8 replies