Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Which do you prefer in a Mai Tai? Myers or Mount Gay?

Pages: 1 10 replies

D

Assuming we're using Trader Vic products in the Mai Tai. Which one of these rums do you like better?

I was at a bar tonight, and just had a Myers and O.J. and it totally refreshed my memory on how great Myers is. I haven't been using it for a while because it gets kind of expensive.

I know there are a lot of 'special' rums out there, but I'm looking to get a rum that is available at any local booze merchant.

DonHoNYC~

You may want to check out this past thread on some of the favorite rums of your fellow TC'ers. You may see some names of rums that are available in your hometown.

Just my 2 coconuts worth.

I'm not even using any of the Trader's products at the moment. I find the Fee Brother's Orgeat to be Magnificent and My Own Home Made Sugar Syrup is Just as Good as Vic's (you just gotta figure out the right amount of Lemon Juice... I would tell you what it was, but it's kinda like a Learned from Experience kinda thing). After that... I guess Myers and Mount Gay are fine. That's what I usually use unless I've got really special company comin' over. Like I say, though... Myers AND Mount Gay.

[ Edited by: Traitor Vic on 2004-01-04 01:35 ]

K
Klas posted on Sun, Jan 4, 2004 3:13 AM

I'm using Appleton Dark for the Jamaican part and El Dorado Demerara instead of St. James Martinique for my Mai Tais with IMO a nice result :drink:

C

Myers dark and St. James Martinique here ...

is it noon yet?

Gosling's Black Seal and St. James Martinique.

I had some Newfoundland Screech left over from a party on Friday so I tried it in a Mai Tai with, I thought, quite palatable results.

I's the b'y...

T

I use St. James with either Appleton or Coruba (but I'll use Myers' if I 'm out of the others). I don't use Trader Vic's Mai Tai mix at home, but when I'm traveling and I don't want to buy Curacao and Orgeat I like it fine. If I was using the mix I would use Appleton, Coruba, or Myers' in that order depending on what's available.

Is using Appleton Extra in a Mai Tai a waste? I love it straight so I usually save it and use Appleton V/X or Special in a Mai Tai. Trader Vic used very old, expensive rum in the original Mai Tai.

T

Between Meyers and Mount Gay, I'd go with the Mt. Gay for the body of the drink, but I am a fan of the Meyers float on top of my Mai Tai, so my answer is: BOTH!

M

I usually use Appleton v/x and St. James, but I don't see any reason not to use great rum in a Mai Tai- the amount of mixer is small enough that the rum flavor always comes through loud and clear. In a drink with loads of mix, say a Coronado Luau Special, the premium stuff is a waste IMHO. I've been experimenting with few others in the Mai Tai and had great results. Planter's XO, Sea Wynde, even Lemon Hart make a great drink. No Myers's for me, though- too much caramel flavor for my taste. But- watch how fast my resolve crumbles if that's the only rum available!

D

Thanks for the input folks. I tried Appleton Reserve tonite. Best so far. Think I'll be switching to that from Mount Gay.

Pages: 1 10 replies