Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Which is older? - flat or concave bottom on Bali Hai Man mug

Pages: 1 3 replies

I bought a Bali Hai Man mug a couple weeks ago at a flea market. The bottom is roundly concave and I'm wondering how old it might be and if it is the first version. It's detail is very crisp, its in great shape with only minor paint rubbing at the ends of the bone and it has the OMC sticker. I got the dealer from $18 down to $12 for it; he actually cited what several on ebay were bidding at (I phoned a friend and checked his facts) and $12 seemed like a good deal. I hadn't even wanted one of these till I saw it up close and personal. Man, what a neat thing to look at! Did I make an impatient purchase or did I do OK?

The only difference I can tell between the new Mr. Bali Hai mug and the old (shown on pg. 131 BOT) is the new one has "Shelter Island, Calif." on a dark backgrond and the old one says "San Diego, Calif." on a light background. I don't know the exact age of the one shown in BOT (I'm assuming the original).

K
Kenike posted on Sun, Jan 4, 2004 4:32 PM

Mine has a concave bottom and an OMC sticker so I'm assuming it's an older one.

:drink:

T

As far as I know the concave bottom version is older than the flat bottom one. But, both are OMC I think.

Pages: 1 3 replies