Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Rattan table, fo' FREE, or best offer

Pages: 1 24 replies

H

During an overexuberant thrifting excursion with Sabu, I picked up this swell rattan dining table for four (no chairs). It doesn't fit in my new apartment, so I'm a-gonna pass this little sweetheart on to someone else who will give it the loving home it deserves. I don't know enough about rattan furniture to really say much about its condition -- it's definitely not mint, but I think it's probably held up pretty well. There's a spot near the base where the decorative binding is starting to come undone, but that could be fixed quite easily. The substantial glass top has scratches here and there, but no dings.

If you'd like this little honey off my hands, all you have to do is throw an offer my way. Here's the catch: no money offers. I'm kind of a dumb bunny that way -- money bores me. Make it something weird, like a sampler pack of Jell-O pudding cups, or a how-to book on macrame. My expectations are low. If I only get one offer, it's yours free, and you don't have to make good on your offer. Oh, here's the other catch: you have to come pick it up from Doctor Z's in Redondo Beach, and you should do it quickly before he gets tired of looking at it and tosses it.

Burn it!

I think I'm interested. What do you want to trade for it?

H

Hmmm... whatcha got? I'm all out of Trader Joe's chocolate-liqueur cherries, mmmm those are good. Or donuts, I still haven't had a proper Krispy Kreme yet.

Boy, I better go get some lunch.

Sheesh! Donuts for a rattan table. Great deal Chiki!!
If Chiki bails, I'll gladly take a hamburger and the table.

H

On 2004-01-05 18:06, jungletrader wrote:
If Chiki bails, I'll gladly take a hamburger and the table.

I'm confused... are you offering to give me a hamburger, or is your offer that you will let me buy you a hamburger? 'Cause if it's the latter, that's a sucky offer. I'll still consider it, though.

Humu - if I thought I could stuff it in the trunk of my Mustang, I'd come get it right now. We're actually looking around for a nice vintage rattan set for the lanai (what I have out there now is CRAP). I think i'm gonna sniff out some estate sales, etc and take my time. Spring's still a long way off. Mahalos for the offer though.

Oh man , I'm gonna have to pass. Thanks for the offer.

Humu squared, you'll have to buy me a hamburger AND give me the table. I'll be down in mid Feb.

T

If I had know you were giving it away AND providing free burgers too I'd have strapped it to the top of my car when I was down there! :wink:
Seriously though, I think you deserve some cash for it from someone...ok...or maybe a really nice dinner and drinks :)

L
laney posted on Tue, Jan 6, 2004 10:21 AM

Humu, if you don't get rid of it by this weekend, let me know. I can pick it up when I take my friend in Redondo some home made soup. I have something you'll love.

Although, if you like the table, have you thought of having the glass top cut? It is inexpensive, and easy for any glass/mirror shop to do. Then it may fit your place.
Let me know!

On 2004-01-04 20:52, RevBambooBen wrote:
Burn it!

Get the glass cut, then Burn it!!! (burn it!! give it some sort of finish!!! It looks lame the way it is!!! All fine and dandy! Arrrrrr!!!)Fire! fire! Hey Beavis? Ya Butthead?! Ha, heh, ha, heh! Or, a faux stain??

p.s. if you really want to burn it, we'll be doing another BURN real soon!!! Scrafice!!! Sacrafice!!!

H

Cutting the glass is a great idea, but I'm afraid I just don't have room for it. I'm using the dining area of my new apartment for my home office & sewing area -- no room left over for a table, even a small one. Sounds like the table will be all yours, Laney... go ahead and contact Doctor Z to make sure he or his brother will be around when you are in the neighborhood.

Ben -- it's a good thing you went into bamboo and not marketing! You're still my second favorite pyro, though, right after my brother.

I love how there's a whole thread - which I am anxiuosly following! - on what Humuhumu is going to do with a cheap table she found while out thrifting. Will it be traded for a burger? For the chance to buy someone ELSE a burger? For booze? Will it go out with flaming glory, while Bamboo Ben dances around the fiery blaze?

Or will Laney strap it to her car and drive away...

If the latter is indeed the case, DO post what the "something you'll love" is, H! I am inexplicably drawn to knowing this table's ultimate fate.

the potential I saw with this was doing a carved round piece of wood to cover up that wicker. A marquesan theme or a hut/palmtree/beach/volcano scene.(think velvet painting) Or heck. a round velvet painting in there. Got to take advantage of that glass top.

L
laney posted on Wed, Jan 7, 2004 5:05 PM

I just thought of sticking a cheezy plastic plant in there-I love cheesy plastic plants. This would be a great outdoor table.

And, Formikahini, you crack me up!

But....(insert old soap opera organ music) This weekend is shaping up to be a busy one. My Mom has surgery today with a long stay in the hospital, I work almost every night but Saturday! Saturday! Saturday! for Monster Trucks, and my sis/best friend comes in from Mass on Sunday!
And I want that table because I DO have something perfect for Humu-I know she'll love it!
(more organ music) what will the fate of the table be?

It's alright....I just found a burger.

May many a hamburger grace that table at Laney's.

H

Chiki -- yeah, the glass is nice, really solid. I liked the unusual shape of it.

Laney, do you know when you would be able to pick it up? If I don't get rid of it via TC, then I'll have to eBay it or Craigslist it anyhow; I'm sure Doctor Z won't mind if you can't get it for a couple of weeks (right Dr. Z??? let me know if that's wrong).

I don't think it's fair to consider the proposed burger-gifting and burning as actual offers, so it's all yours for free. "Something perfect" sounds intriguing, but it may remain a mystery.... (cue the dramatic music: duh duh DUUUUUUH)

DZ

On 2004-01-07 17:56, Humuhumu wrote:
I'm sure Doctor Z won't mind if you can't get it for a couple of weeks (right Dr. Z??? let me know if that's wrong).

A-Okay by me! It's just bein' used to store stuff on in my spare room for the moment - I doubt that'll change for a few weeks...

FYI - Cocktails at the Castaway Lounge are included for the new owner if they pick le table up on a weekend...

Doctor Z
Mix-maestro of the Castaway Lounge,
Redondo Beach, CA

[ Edited by: Doctor Z on 2004-01-07 19:17 ]

M

I'm with Formikahini, good thread. So if I'm following this correctly if I had a truck in South CA I could have a free table, a free burger and free drinks at the Castaway Lounge? And a crispy creme or I gotta come up with that?

On 2004-01-04 20:52, RevBambooBen wrote:
Burn it!

When you's all visit a Zen Zone, you will understand my theory on Burn it. (....and no, this has nothing to do with tiki Bong!)

[ Edited by: revbambooben on 2004-01-08 21:15 ]

So -

We've been left hanging in the lurch (what's a lurch, and where is it?) too long!!

What is "The Fate of the Thrifted Table"? (Sounds like new Nancy Drewmuhumu mystery)

is it gone yet? i've got three authentic tickets to see led zepplin. They went on sale the day john bohnam died. What Luck! Or how about an authentic digital photo of don ho and myself. I'm in the market for a new kitchen table! It would be the perfect finishing touch on my new tiki pad. I'll pick it up today! PLEEEEEEAAAAASSSSSEEEEEEEEEE pick me!!!!

[ Edited by: tikipunk on 2004-01-28 00:08 ]

L

I've been so busy lately, sorry, it's been on the back burner but if punk can get it, it's yours! You're right out that way anyway! enjoy! PM Humuhumu

Thanks Laney!!!

Pages: 1 24 replies