Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

eBay: Attention backyard party people!

Pages: 1 17 replies

T

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=29280&item=3577909520

This vintage book has a lot of pretty cool ideas for backyard decoration and party decor... much of it applicable to tiki backyards. Too bad I just have a balcony! (not allowed to build bamboo structures, erect giant parasols, or light bonfires on balcony).

S
SES posted on Mon, Jan 5, 2004 5:32 PM

More owls! What is about books in that time frame? They all feature some sort of owl project.

More owls! What is about books in that time frame? They all feature some sort of owl project.

What is it about owls in general? Every time I check out antique and collectible shops, there's always tons of owl crap! Well, not literally the feces of owls...but there's so many little owl knick knacks. If only I were into owls and not tiki stuff, then my flea market hunting would be so easy.

DZ

Sabu and I have made the same observation about owls - they're everywhere! Many's the time we've been out sale-ing and I've said "If I started collecting owls RIGHT NOW, I'd have a decent collection by the end of the day" and would have been right. Just the other day, TikiHula and I were checking out a few of the local antique malls, and I swear, there were owls in just about every single booth! There was even one booth with NOTHING BUT OWLS!!
What's the deal? Was there a big nationwide "Owl Craze" at some point, and now everyone is dumping their collections (presumably to buy out more tiki stuff from under me)?

M

Owls are very interesting beings. To see one in person is a unique experience. Left a major impression on me, those eyes. The statues/carvings ect.. haven't done the same for me, except for one in "Carving" magazine, very nice.

I think the "Big O Owl Craze" was to scare off the Seagulls back in the 70's. Like many political ploys, this one failed too. (this is not a political thang, just an assumption)

(hey! try this. Mix up a mai tai and put it into a metal container and bbq it with a steak! Makes the steak taste like mai tai and makes the mai tai taste like steak! Let the mai tai cool a bit and transfer into a propper drinking vessel before consuming!)

Along with unicorns, dragons and stuffed animals (plush) my wife started collecting owls, but only the cool looking ones. Hell down here in the thrift / junk stores they ARE a dime a dozen.

eh at least i have my model trains, toy robots and tikis

T

Don't forget mushrooms, people! Owls and mushrooms hit their poularity apex at the same time in the 70's... if you are really lucky you will find the rare owl/mushrom combo piece... like a ceramic owl sitting on a mushroom, or a mushroom tea towel with an owl on it...

I'm sure there must be one out there, and it must carry great mana.

Should I be embarrassed? I have two owls in my kitchen. A cookie jar and a napkin holder. They are from the 50s, one has daisies for eyes and the other one citrus slices. They were just too cute to pass up.

T

Don't be embarassed- owls are very cool birds! I think it's just that so much owl stuff was produced in the 60's and 70's that it's everywhere- and a some of it is junky looking. In the 70's I remember my next door neighbors having a lot of owl stuff- went with the oak furniture and driftwood coffee table :)

After Dr.Z and I found so many owls I was also seriously thinking about starting to collect them.... :D :lol:

A Tiki Cheers To You

[ Edited by: Unga Bunga on 2004-01-08 13:02 ]

I made several macrame owls when I was a kid -- my mom probably still has them!

T

Were you a Girl Guide? Because I am sure that's where I was forced to make my macrame owls as a child, as I recall... wooden beads for eyes and all!

On 2004-01-09 05:39, tikifish wrote:
Were you a Girl Guide?

Nope, but I was president of my 4-H club!

I think I made one in 4-H and another one at school. Both of them had ceramic eyes and beaks. Hoot!

T

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3265991459&category=29805

Behold, the owl and mushroom salt and pepper set.

M

It seems that there is a connection between Tiki (or Hawaiiana at least) and Owls by way of the Menehune...

Info from the WordIQ site:

(The Menehune)...are afraid of owls. When they become too mischievous and cause too much chaos, the owl god, Paupueo, sends all the owls to chase them into the forest.

More info from this link:

In Polynesian mythology, Paupueo is the owl god. He sends his owls after the Menehune when they become too uncontrollable. The owls chase away the Menehune, who are frightened of owls.

There you go...now we can all justify collecting owls. :)

ModMana :drink:

S
SES posted on Fri, Jan 9, 2004 8:02 PM

So the mods are the owls here.
:D

Thanks modmana ... I'm feeling better about my owls :)

tikifish ... I'd have to say those mushroom/owls salt and pepper shakers are about the cheesiest thing I've seen. Very funny!

Pages: 1 17 replies