Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Blue Sea International - HB, CA

Pages: 1 14 replies

H
Hina posted on Mon, Jan 5, 2004 8:03 PM

Hi Gang,
Just hoping maybe someone would be able to shed some light on a strange tiki I picked up at the local antique mall. Marked as:
Blue Sea International
PO Box 2240
Huntington Beach, CA 92647
He's white - Moai-ish with large nostrils and almost appears as though he's wearing triangle shaped earrings? Weird.
I haven't seen this marking before - tried a search here as well as Google with no luck.

Any info anyone can provide on this mfr. would be most helpful.

Mahalo!

~H

T

Hina,

Since I live in HB, I went to PO Box 2240 to see 'wut up'. No one was there.

F

The name Blue Sea sounded like a company that was selling tikis at Tiki Oasis 2 (I bought one). I checked mine and it is unmarked. It does have the triangle earrings and big nostrils. Don't know if it is made by the same company as yours. I am pretty sure their name is Blue Sea. They made tikis as candle holders and they were also fashioned into tabletop water fountains. They are poorly designed as candle holders because the tiki's eyes are half-lidded, leaving these little slits for the light to get through. Mine has 3 triangle-shaped cutouts arranged in an arc on the forehead. It comes with a base to put the candle in. Perhaps they did make mugs, but I never saw any. They are not vintage.

H
Hina posted on Tue, Jan 6, 2004 11:29 AM

Thanks so much for the replies Tiki Bong & Floratina!
Floratina - it sounds like the same tiki for the most part. The large nostrils, half lidded eyes, triangle earrings and markings on the forehead. I'm sure they are cousins of some sort.
I just hadn't seen anything like him before so my curiosity was piqued.
Thanks again!

~H

MB
Mrs. B posted on Tue, Jan 6, 2004 9:42 PM

Blue Sea International is/was a "rep" company.
Haven't seen them in a while, dunno. Pretty darn certain the treasure you picked up at the antique mall, is, as Tina-Tina-Floratina-eeeeeena stated, "not vintage."
That's all I know. :)
Aloha!

F

Here's a phonecam shot of the tiki I am referring to:

Does yours look like this? He looks really put out, doesn't he?

Signed,
T-T-FTeeee :P

"the moai lay here the sleepier i get."

;P

T

On 2004-01-08 15:07, floratina wrote:
Here's a phonecam shot of the tiki I am referring to:

Does yours look like this? He looks really put out, doesn't he?

Signed,
T-T-FTeeee :P

Huntington Surf & Sport was selling these a while back. Oddly enough, they do have some vintage Hawaiiana and a few nice tikis.

S

Tina & Bong,

I've seen these at HSS also. I've always wanted one but they're merchandise is a little pricey for new stuff ($22 mugs). They also make a cool Tiki Time Clock.

The rep for this maker was also at Tiki Oasis either last year or the year before (it's all a blur now).

F

The design could have been better for an item that is supposed to feature a candle's glow. Oh, sure, the nostils gape generously, but those eyes! They are only half open and on top of that, they have those big ole lids. You have to put the tiki up on the mantle or someplace high if you want to see the light emanating from them sorry eyeholes; if you are looking down on the tiki, the lids shield that light from view. I thought I could get past that when I bought it, but...I just can't, man.

Well, I have to admit I bought one when I was buying wax at Huntington Surf & Sport; but hey, George the manager let me have it for $15.

(what the F*$* was I thinking; I feel so ... soiled)

H
Hina posted on Fri, Jan 9, 2004 12:27 PM

That's HIM! Only, no cut-outs because I have the mug version. Mine is also an irridescent white-ish glaze.
Thanks for clearing this up all of you - I guess he wasn't a bad buy at $7?

Not only does he look put out, he looks a little...well...girly with those earrings. :)
Maybe HE is actually a SHE?

I figured he wasn't vintage but I was drawn to the white glaze since you don't see too many white tikis.

~H

F

The tired drag-queen tiki!

Yes, Blue Sea International is in fact a manufacturer based in HB. I sell most of their products on my site
http://www.coconutkiss.com
(look under "Tiki Hut and Home") I sell their clocks, floor vases, candles, mugs, magnets, ornaments, fountains, etc. They are really great people, with a small distribution. HS&S has their stuff as well. I believe they may be at the Tiki Oasis this year, if not, their stuff will be in my booth. Feel free to email me if you have any questions or need me to get anything for you. I had the large tiki fountain on display for one my my events and I loved it so much I kept it!!! Its cool! Hope this helped! Gina

H
Hina posted on Wed, Jan 14, 2004 11:08 AM

Thank you coconutkiss. The fountains are really nice. I do appreciate the info - I'm glad to finally know something about the background of this guy.
Hopefully I can make Tiki Oasis this year. It sounds like a great time!

Thanks again,

~H

Pages: 1 14 replies