Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

What else does everyone collect?

Pages: 1 29 replies

B

The "What does yr "Significant Other " collect?" post got me thinking about all my other areas of interest over the years. We moved into a huge 4 bedroom House, and I still managed to fill it up with all my old belongings, only needing to buy another couch, and a new queen sized bed. Back in High School I collected Chuck Taylor All Stars, had maybe 20 pair, untill my feet grew 2 sizes. Then it was Horror genre Comic Books. 100's of Yo-Yo's, 100's of Action Figures, 100's of Pez, Bobble Heads, Lava Lamps, Shot Glasses, Hot Sauce, Diecast Ford Focus ZX3's, Horror Novels, Halloween Masks, and Assault Weapons. Then theres the Media. About 1500 CD's, 2500 VHS Movies, 250 DVD's, LP's, and old CED Video Disks. But, aside from the movies and CD's, it's been kinda back burner now, and I've narrowed my sights to settle on Tiki mugs and vintage CockTail Shakers. Seeing it all unpacked and displayed properly, makes me wonder how it all fit in a crammed Basement apartment.

[ Edited by: badmojo on 2004-01-06 15:47 ]

Aloha BadMojo~

Here is a thread that has some insight as to what else some of your fellow TC'ers collect, as well as what some of them do for a living. It's kind of a two-fold answer to the question/subject of the thread "Beside tiki....".

Another thread with the same question but didn't get as far as the above thread.

Thanks for the question, since I'd like to see what some of our newer members are into.

L

1930's machine age stuff, mostly tubular chrome furniture. Thanks to my wife it's mostly in the garage.

T

I collect f'd up hangovers...

(need one?)

T

On 2004-01-06 13:23, Tiki_Bong wrote:

(need one?)

Through in a couple of z's and it's a deal!

On 2004-01-06 13:23, Tiki_Bong wrote:

(need one?)

I collect hangovers as well but mine aren't f'd up, their in perfectly good shape.

I collect, among other things:

vintage bowling shirts
tiki mugs
rotary phones
turquoise kitchen stuff
1960s comedy records
And, of course, Miata accessories. :D

My problem is that if I happen upon 2 or more of something, then I start a collection. Some of what I collect:

Detroit-oriented items, old advertisements, old cookbooks / instructional books (1920s-1960s), old ashtrays, advertisement clocks, tabletop radios, kitsch items (like those heavy acrylic grapes that sit on coffee tables), matchbooks, cigar bands, old postcards,etc., etc. ...

Because of a lack of space, I have to store most of it.

"Made of Wood and Dressed to Kill"

http://www.samgambino.com

[ Edited by: Sam Gambino on 2004-01-06 14:29 ]

From when I was but a wee little one:

-about 150 PEZ (someday I should sell those)
-4 huge boxes O'Star Wars toys (about 1/2 are in boxes- even as a 7 year old, I was geeky enough to think, "Ooo! collectable")
-200+ mini liquor bottles (from my Dads' travels- and I was PISSED if they were opened)

As an Adult:
-Vinyl (new or old... maybe 3 or 4,000)
-Books, Books, Books
-Vintage posters, especially early 20th century Otis Litho Magic Ad posters & B-movies.

-Z

Thank God The Tiki Bar Is Open
Thank God The Tiki Torch Still Shines...

[ Edited by: Feelin' Zombified on 2004-01-06 14:51 ]

A heck of a lot to do with Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's The Lost World, and in particular the 1925 film version of it. This memorabelia is probably my most intentional collection, with the rest being just a lot of junk I pick up.

Original 8-bit Nintendo games and, in a similar vein, recent remakes of 80's toys (eg: the new He-Man and Skeletor figures, and Unicron if I had $100 to spend on toys).

Any neat Disney Villains, Tim Burton or Universal Studios Monsters stuff I find at flea markets.

Misc. Steampunkish toys and figures.

Aesthetically pleasing Japanese pop-art (eg: candy packaging, toys, etc.).

Fossils, mostly from around these parts.

Postcards of antique photographs, especially related to the Canadian Rockies.

Victorian and Edwardian fantasy photography in any way, shape or form I can get it (eg: books, silent films, online). Also Gustave Dore and Pre-Raphaelite artwork.

Interesting and/or aesthetically pleasing antique books, especially if they are stuff like Jules Verne or H.G. Wells.

Bullwinkle and Rocky related odds and ends.

I also collect League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, Neotopia, and Johnen Vasquez (Johnny the Homicidal Maniac, Squee) comics.

E

Pirate software.

em

B

On 2004-01-06 11:59, SugarCaddyDaddy wrote:
Aloha BadMojo~

Here is a thread that has some insight as to what else some of your fellow TC'ers collect, as well as what some of them do for a living. It's kind of a two-fold answer to the question/subject of the thread "Beside tiki....".

Another thread with the same question but didn't get as far as the above thread.

Thanks for the question, since I'd like to see what some of our newer members are into.

Thanks for the link SugarCaddyDaddy, I kinda assumed this would be a Re-Post, but felt it was an honorable one, as opposed to another "Moai Tissue Dispenser".

[ Edited by: badmojo on 2004-01-06 15:49 ]

Floaty Pens - I'm searching for one featuring a "Reef Girl" from Reef Footwear. I would trade a Rolling Stones guitar pick from my other collection.

I have been a serious collector of coffee cans for years....here is a sampling: https://tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=3154&forum=6

Scrap Bamboo. Can't seem to part with the stuff. Got boxes upon boxes of scraps. Maybe one day I'll start doing mosaics with it all. Who knows. Just can't seem to part with it! It's Bamboo, Man!!

Shrunken heads! Can't get enough of 'em.

H

PEZ dispensers. I counted them last night, I've got 184. I'm not an agressive collector; I've never bought one from eBay or a thrift shop or anything. I only pick them up when I see them in the wild. I still have ones from when I was a kid in the 70s.

M

I have to admit that I've never really thought about it before, but my wife is not really into Tiki the way I am. We both collect a lot of things...vintage clothing and furniture. She really digs asian figurines from the 40's and 50's.

K
Kenike posted on Wed, Jan 7, 2004 2:48 PM

If anyone is into collecting old rum bottles I'm selling this one on Ebay.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=13916&item=3264637310#ebayphotohosting

:drink:

T

i collect shriner artifacts (and i have a side job with the scottish rite...trying to pave the way for a female fez).

i also love 40's clothing/style. and i dig the blaxploitation genre...trying to collect all of those movies. my favorite is black belt jones (i have the clamshell case to go with that vhs...shhhhyeah) i also am proud of my things with two heads poster...one of rosey grier's and ray milland's finer acting roles in their lives. :)

[ Edited by: tikicleen 2009-05-07 12:15 ]

UJ

When I was a kid I collected:
Rocks, Trains, Robots, Star Wars, and cooties

When I was a teen I collected:
Comics, trains, star wars, and more cooties than kisses.

As a college kid I started to collect:
tiki and "score time" with my girlfriend.

Now as an adult I collect:
Tiki, Arrowheads (from west texas), 50's -60's items, psychedelic music, model trains, star wars, bowling balls and "score time" with the wife.

H

On 2004-01-07 18:42, Unkle John wrote:
bowling balls

Boy, I'd hate to help you move!

UJ

lol no kidding!

actually they are part of my lawn art project... i think i have about 35 of them

Cephalopods espc. Squids, octopus

UJ

On 2004-01-07 21:34, Slacks Ferret wrote:
Cephalopods espc. Squids, octopus

Cthulhu.

Who is Cthulhu? The best answer to this question is found in Lovecraft's tale "The Call of Cthulhu". Cthulhu is a monstrous entity who lies "dead but dreaming" in the city of R'lyeh, a place of non-Euclidean madness presently (and mercifully) sunken below the depths of the Pacific Ocean. Cthulhu appears in various monstrous and demonic forms in early myths of the human race. Racial memory preserves Him as humanity's most basic nightmare. Cthulhu is the high priest of the Great Old Ones, unnatural alien beings who ruled the Earth before humanity formed, worshipped as gods by some misguided people. It is said that They will return, causing worldwide insanity and mindless violence before finally displacing humanity forever.

Mo-Holler.

[ Edited by: Unkle John on 2004-01-07 22:02 ]

Dustbunnies and almost-empty kleenex packets.......oh, and clutter of the general variety.

A
S

Vintage clocks and radios. Knoxville postcards from the 50's and 60's. And I took quick pictures of some of my vintage lamps HERE And of course, records. But not tiki. ; )

All my lamps were bought at thrift stores for under $6. Those were good old days...

The Swank Pad Broadcast - If it's Swank...

[ Edited by: Swanky on 2004-01-08 16:34 ]

At various times I have collected:

creamers shaped like cows
the eiffel tower in any form
happy apples
mechanisms from music boxes (for use in performances)
sushi menus (the kind that are in plexiglass stands on tables in japanese restaurants)

currently collecting:

records (4,000?)
thrift store paintings
thrift store cookbooks
tiki mugs, coco joe's, etc.

Oh, one collection I almost forgot about:

Those clear static stickers- like the ones Taco Bell puts on their windows during a promotion. I snag the small ones (maybe 2"x2") and put them on my turntable lids. This all started 12 years ago when I was in a grocery store and the salad bars' sneeze guard had a static sticky that read: NO SAMPLING, PLEASE. I couldn't resist. Right now I have my eye on Taco Bells' classic Dr. Suess stickies, but they're on the inside of the drive thru window. Dang.

-Z

Pages: 1 29 replies