Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

George Clooney to play Magnum, P.I.?

Pages: 1 12 replies

S

Saw this link on ain't it cool news, and thought the rest of you would be interested in it too:

http://starbulletin.com/2003/12/31/features/ryan.html

Brother Sulltiki,
Are you going to join us at the Hawaiian Inn? Check the events post.
KG

R
Rain posted on Tue, Jan 6, 2004 6:43 PM

this from the article:

Clooney's name has also been mentioned for the Steve McGarrett role in the long-awaited "Hawaii Five-0" film, though sources say Mel Gibson is at the top of producer George Litto's list.

hm.

Just a little side note. Technically Hawaii 5-0 is already not Tiki, because unlike in the Hawaiian Eye series, the Polynesian part was downplayed, and corny clichees and tourist locations were avoided, to make it more "real". There are single episodes that are an exception, yet generally Hawaii 5-0 is marked by the ABSENCE of Tiki. Not to say that the title track is one of the all time surf sound greats...
But if I consider Hawaii 5-0 not Tiki anymore, then MAGNUM is certainly NOT Tiki, I mean just look at it (shudder).
But I for one do not see Don Ho as being part of Tiki style, either.

R
Rain posted on Tue, Jan 6, 2004 8:36 PM

all true enough, bigbro.

however, now that i live in a cold climate, tropicana, hawaiiana, exotica, and tiki all bring me the same warm fuzzy feeling. :wink:

On 2004-01-06 20:36, Rain wrote:
all true enough, bigbro.

however, now that i live in a cold climate, tropicana, hawaiiana, exotica, and tiki all bring me the same warm fuzzy feeling. :wink:

Isn't it funny how that happens. When I did the same thing as you and moved up north from sunny Florida for a year I felt the same way. So good to be back!
Besides I love Magnum and Hawaii 5-0.

T

Flounder,
I hope that's a picture of your brother-in-law at the end of your post, and not who I think it is! :wink:

i vote for steve buscemi to play barney in the andy griffith movie

BigBro,
I saw your and Don Ho's pictures in the latest issue of Barracuda. What happened?Did the bronze God of Hawaiian lounge music spill a drink on you?
If Don Ho isn't tiki, what about Kui Lee?
Regardless, I think some of Ho's recordings of Kui Lee's songs are right up there with Quiet Village.
KG

[ Edited by: Kailuageoff on 2004-01-07 13:04 ]

S

Cloony = Barf.
sorry, no commentary on tiki or no,
just cloony = barf. hahahaha
spazpea

On 2004-01-07 13:03, Kailuageoff wrote:
BigBro,
I saw your and Don Ho's pictures in the latest issue of Barracuda. What happened?Did the bronze God of Hawaiian lounge music spill a drink on you?
If Don Ho isn't tiki, what about Kui Lee?

That was me and my gal attending the Don Ho gig, and if I would go by THAT night, I would think less of him, he was pretty bad (not good bad)...but I like the guy, his is just simply post-Tiki stuff.
And I like Jack Lord and his gang. But they came on the scene just when Tiki's heyday as Polynesian figurehead was waning.
..and don't ever mention Tiki and Magnum in one breath to me. Just because it is corny and from Hawaii doesn't mean it's Tiki. Magnum is more like Love Boat or Fantasy Island to me, and that's just not my bag.

Off course this is all very academic. As you know, I differentiate between "Tiki" (50s/60s mainland interpretation of Polynesia with Tiki as the figurehead) and "Hawaiiana" (20s-70s Hawaiian tourist culture) with Hula girls, outriggers, palm trees and such.
One can ad to the other, but only to support and not to muddle the style. That's what happend after the 60s and made Tiki indescript.

However, Hawaii 5-0. Magnum and Don Ho never dissappeared from the public arena the way Tiki did. I need the urban archeology dimension of Tiki culture.

M

Well, don't tell Otto it's not tiki, because Tiki News sponsored a 30th Anniversary of Hawaii 5-0 concert with The Ventures a few years ago and Otto wrote the liner notes on the new Don Ho live reissue.

Next thing, he'll be opening for Buffett on the Tiki Time Tour!

:wink:

It's all good. That's why Otto is the party organizer, and I am the academic, we complete each other.

Pages: 1 12 replies