Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Happy New Year, Blue Lady...

Pages: 1 27 replies

K
KAHAKA posted on Tue, Jan 6, 2004 9:04 PM

Blue Lady finds Jack is delicious on New Year's.

[ Edited by: KAHAKA on 2004-01-06 22:09 ]

T

Can you please be more vague.

the eagle flies at midnight

T

I paid 3 99 for one of those!
Did you walk to school or bring your lunch?

K
KAHAKA posted on Wed, Jan 7, 2004 4:52 PM

My apologies for not being as "nerd box" savy as some.

[ Edited by: kahaka on 2004-01-07 17:41 ]

T

I thing the little white box with the red x was more visable.

(what's a 'nerd box')

K
KAHAKA posted on Wed, Jan 7, 2004 8:07 PM

I "thing" you're right. Sorry to bother.

A nerd box is the thing you are staring into right now reading this post. The computer, my friend.

E

I'm a nerd, he's a nerd, she's a nerd, they're a nerd,
wouldn't you like to be a nerd too?

emnerd

don't pay dem no mind KAHAKA, i like yer photo. it has a certain je-ne-ce-qua, but i don't know what it is :P

On 2004-01-07 20:07, KAHAKA wrote:
I "thing" you're right. Sorry to bother.

A nerd box is the thing you are staring into right now reading this post. The computer, my friend.

So when the auto mechanic is using a computer to perform diagnostics on your car, he's a 'nerd'?

She's the GREEN lady! The famous Tretchikoff is known as "The Green Lady". (Granted, she's on the turquoise-y side, but she ain't blue!)

Got mine for $8.00 at a local Goodwill a while back. Made my WEEK. She resides at Kilikopela's house, however, as there just isn't room in mine for her just now.

Wait-a-minnit, nobody asked yet where JACK DANIELS fits in on a Tiki site..? This is RUM country!
C'mon Kahaka, be a good sport, laugh with us: first no image, then flashed foreground, and then the lady is the wrong color...

But wait, you are NOT colorblind, Tretchikoff's "Chinese Girl" you have there IS blue in the face, while the OTHER famous Tretchikoff, "Miss Wong", better known as the "Green Lady", has the green tint. Her portrait is turned to the right, and she bears a Mona Lisa like smile, yours is the pouty one.

Just read on the net that Tretchikoff is senile now, but Uri Geller is planning to produce a feature film about his life. Couldn't think of a greater mix of pop culture icons!

[ Edited by: bigbrotiki on 2004-01-08 18:23 ]

K
Kono posted on Thu, Jan 8, 2004 7:03 PM

I've never found "Chinese Girl" at an acceptable price, but I did find this one:

Anyone know the name of this painting? I'd like to get a "Miss Wong" as well.

D

Kono, I think its called Lady of the Orient or something like that. I am pretty sure I saw it here somewhere. http://www.tretchikoff.co.uk/

K
Kono posted on Thu, Jan 8, 2004 7:28 PM

On 2004-01-08 19:15, DawnTiki wrote:
Kono, I think its called Lady of the Orient or something like that. I am pretty sure I saw it here somewhere. http://www.tretchikoff.co.uk/

Thanks for the link. It's "Lady from the Orient." Wow, Vlad did some very "non-PC" Black Americana stuff!

I can live without a "Chinese Girl" but I really would like to get a "Miss Wong."

T

Tretchikoff is so great... until you see the clowns. THE CLOWNS!!! AAAHHH!!!

I have a few Tretchikoffs at home. But I'll pass on Watermelon boy and the zebras...

Tiki_Bong, say something else mean, it cracks me up.

Bigbro, I'm gonna have to stand by my use of Green for this gal. Maybe it's wrong to do so, but this is the gal people now call the Green Lady. I'm including the link to Mig's pointing out of her being eBayed at a hilarious starting price.

Note: follow the "re-listed" trail on her eBay site! We stopped looking at $169 for the Reserve, I think. Keep going to see how close she eventually got to the standard $75-ish (non-thrift store) price.

https://tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=5956&forum=5

F, unwilling to let it die...

Addendum: I say "standard $75-ish price" because I've seen several recently, in different cities, with that pricetag in "antique" stores (ha!)

TIKI: Now, more than ever

[ Edited by: Formikahini on 2004-01-09 11:13 ]

Welllll, now Kahaka has to make a statement: Is she GREEN or is she BLUE?
C'mon, don't let us scare you off!

I just want to ad this: The cover off Tretchikoff's autobiography "Pigeon's Luck" and the 1974 BBC documentary "The Green Lady" do picture the OTHER Chinese Girl, "Miss Wong".

But I might be wong, too. Maybe the tint in Tretchikoff's Exotica girls VARIED!:

I have this theory because in the lovely book "Just Above The Mantelpiece" by passionate English collector nerd Wayne Hemingway the reproduction of "The Chinese Girl" has a fine blue skin tone, while "Miss Wong" and "Lady from the Orient" have NO green, but almost natural skin tones!
Now my "Lady from the Orient" on my bedroom wall is positively green in her face. Which makes me wonder if the reproductions in the book have fallen victim to an old prejudice that I know only too well from the world of cinematography: Here, green tint in a human face is regarded as CARDINAL SIN (=sicklish), and I always have the greatest difficulty to convince the colortimers to LEAVE IT when I put it it there (by the use of fluorescents or gels). I would BET (but would love to know for sure) that in "Above the Mantelpiece" an overzealous printer has filtered out the green tone from the beauties' faces, which is off course the ultimate irony, since that is their damn' TRADEMARK!

So, since these "paintings" are really massproduced prints, who knows if the skintones fluctuated between green and blue.

Bigbro wrote:
I just want to add this: The cover of Tretchikoff's autobiography "Pigeon's Luck" and the 1974 BBC documentary "The Green Lady" do picture the OTHER Chinese Girl, "Miss Wong".

Ah, then I'll DEFinitely have to admit that that was her name. I love the idea that the colors have changed, and I actually did consider that "anything sickly-ish must be green". I think that's how the Blue(er) gal had come to be confused with Miss Wong.

It's funny, though, how now the green Miss W appears so less frequently in popular culture than her more turquoise sister. Was she printed more? Is her color more shockingly "off", thus she's more fun to have on one's wall? I'm voting the latter.

Now, if only I could have a bigger place so I could hang my Blue(Green) Girl on MY wall, instead of having to admire her when I visit Kilikopela!

Oh, I did some googling to see who called which painting what, and most refer to "'The Chinese Girl,' also known as 'The Green Lady'", some then mentioning "'Miss Wong,' aka 'The Red Jacket'". A couple did call her Blue. An example of the former:
http://www.basilstreet.com/jump.jsp?itemType=PRODUCT&itemID=607

She seems to have mutated with time. Or at least, her name has. But as Bigbro points out, maybe her actual coloring has too!

You know, we've stumbled into something cool here, folks - the shift of the popular name of a painting (The Green Lady) from one painting (Miss Wong) to another (the Chinese Girl). What if "The Mona Lisa" used to be the name of a painting of some Duke's favorite horse? Or "Luncheon on the Grass" used to be of a lovely little CLOTHED tea party? I feel a research paper coming on....NOT!!

K
KAHAKA posted on Fri, Jan 9, 2004 5:00 PM

You guys, you guys... I'm totally a nerd and I think it's funny. I'm nerd boxing every chance I get, but my skills are limited... especially when attempting to post pics!

Sorry about the Jack, Big Bro. My friends and I are all into the tiki- there are collectors, carvers, painters, lamp builders, tattoo artists, and hot rod and kustom fabricators that are all, in one way or another, doing something to support the tiki scene... though none of us are into the fruity libations. Whiskey is what we prefer. Of course we'll have the occasional mai-tai and certainly wouldn't order a beer or a Jack and Coke at Trader Vic's or the Tonga room... (though we might if we're at Trader Sam's- their tiki drinks are kinda nasty!).

K
KAHAKA posted on Fri, Jan 9, 2004 5:07 PM

And, oh yeah, I say she's bluish green, as apposed to greenish blue, but will continue to call her Blue Lady at home. My buddy calls her Car Sick Lady cuz she looks like she's gonna lose it!

Arrgh! That's a very vague statement, I feel I am stumbling thru some green/blueish haze now...will we ever know?

S
SES posted on Fri, Jan 9, 2004 8:43 PM

Maybe the paint he used was a copper based paint and then it developed the blue/green patina which might explain the change over the years with age?

and certainly wouldn't order a beer

If I felt like a beer, I'd order one!!!

K

Arrgh! That's a very vague statement, I feel I am stumbling thru some green/blueish haze now...will we ever know?

All right- forget what I said before. I say blue all the way.

Cerulean?
Ultramarine?
Aqua?
Brilliant?
Turquoise?
Teal?
Colbalt?
Phthalocyanine green + Phthalocyanine blue + Titanium dioxide?

blah

K

ummmm... all of those. :)

Pages: 1 27 replies