Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

tiki not selling?

Pages: 1 19 replies

Has anyone noticed how the latest offerings from tiki farm have not sold out? Given the limited numbers and the popularity of the three artists, i'm surprised that everything is still available (except pizz outrigger). The rest of the Shag hot wheel sets have been available for over a week. Are these items overpriced or is everyone tapped out from Christmas? Even Shag prints don't sell out anymore. thoughts?

Interesting...VERY interesting - I have been wondering the same thing.

It seems to me that the average Tiki buying folk are not millionaires. One can only buy so many prints at $300 before your spouse threatens to sell everything on Ebay when you're not looking. I'd LOVE to have that Outrigger set from TikiFarm, but there's no way I can afford it after Disneys' Tikiroom 40th. I think that most of us have all that we can afford for now. If there is X amount of collectors out there, and Y% of them are tapped out financially or out of room on their walls or shelves, there's your answer.

Just my two Z's

-Z

Thank God The Tiki Bar Is Open
Thank God The Tiki Torch Still Shines...

[ Edited by: Feelin' Zombified on 2004-01-08 12:24 ]

Hola,

With the Shag print, this one seems to not have had the appeal his prints usually do. I bet the others he releases will continue to sell out. It will be interesting to watch.

I haven't tracked 'em on Ebay, are Shag prints selling for less? That would seem to be a good market indicator.

I'm with you regarding the Pizz and Von Franco mugs, I thought they'd be gone in a heartbeat. They are pretty groovy lookin', too!

T

But vintage always sells out. Ain't that right BK.

Hey Geeky,

The Shag prints on Ebay don't seem to be selling at a premium, although this week I sold an early Shag print for over $1000 (and I didn't have to give ebay a commission!) The prints that incorporate tiki seem to be the most desirable. I think the artists are pushing the envelope on what the lowbrow collector can afford. Will Shag, Pizz and Ryden stuff sell for anything in 10 years?
If it doesn't my kid ain't going to college!!

On 2004-01-08 16:33, Tiki_Bong wrote:

Right on my brutha.

On 2004-01-08 16:33, Tiki_Bong wrote:

Yuppo. No worries for the vintage buyer! :)

I watched a subtle shift in prices of the Disney Shag stuff on ebay. Over the last portion of December the initial bid pirces, and the final bid results seemed to go down. Since then, the prices seem to have creeped back up.

Given the number of items available from the "It's All About the Tiki " show, and the prices involved, I'm not surprised there are items left.

If one or two cool Shag mugs appear with no other cool items to compete with them, they seem to sell out immediately.

Throw an Outrigger or three into the mix, and the people who can scrape up the price of one mug have difficult decisions to make.

If I could have, I would have bought the warrior mug, and the set that had the flask.

But I could only afford ( payin rent to tha man sucks, but it has to be done )one big ticket item.

I only got the Outrigger because my wifes former Union fought to get her backwages owed to her by the State of New York. Gotta thank them for that, and the concept of the weekend.

Otherwise it would have been the three set and thats it.

Collect what you love. If I could, I'd get myself a cherry 47 Merc, AND one of those new FORD GT's. Unfortunatley I don't have the 150 Gs to lay down on one. OR EVEN THE 10 TO 15 G's for the Merc....

TG

[ Edited by: TikiGardener on 2004-01-08 22:57 ]

That's why I stick with that good old vintage...always comes cheap and guaranteed.

[ Edited by: Basement Kahuna on 2004-01-08 23:29 ]

'47 isn't vintage???

TG

Oh you mean the mugs thing... Art costs varying amounts. The untold numbers of Leilani Mugs can wait everynow and then...

There was a post ages ago about a website that kept track of current prices for Shag prints, which may still be going. I tried the search facility, but couldn't track it down. Could someone re-post it?

Trader Woody
(Owner of a Shag print bought for $35 new)

D

So does that make "Green Wahine" the poormans Porsche of Shag prints?

Collect what you love. If I could, I'd get myself a cherry 47 Merc, AND one of those new FORD GT's. Unfortunatley I don't have the 150 Gs to lay down on one. OR EVEN THE 10 TO 15 G's for the Merc....

TG

I'd like one of those new Ford GT's too but I think I'll stick with vintage and hold out for an original '66 GT40.

On 2004-01-17 01:13, Shipwreckjoey wrote:

TG

I'd like one of those new Ford GT's too but I think I'll stick with vintage and hold out for an original '66 GT40.

Ever notice how the old muscle cars were affordable to the common person. But now, anything with more than a hamster under the hood, and more style than a soap bar on wheels is only affordable to those with a small countries income?

Hey all (this seems my night for posting), honestly, I desire a lot of the big artist's stuff, but I can't afford to plunk down the cash for it, it's just too expensive now. That's the danger of becoming well known, the people who helped get you noteriety can't afford your stuff anymore. Oh well, gets me to make my own.

I like soup.

On 2004-01-24 21:45, FLOUNDERart wrote:
I like soup.

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM Soup!

#
#54 posted on Sun, Jan 25, 2004 1:03 AM

That's the danger of becoming well known, the people who helped get you noteriety can't afford your stuff anymore.

Not if you have originals from the Artists you helped get "well known." Then, you are in the "money."

Pages: 1 19 replies