Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

mystery Toby candle holder!

Pages: 1 3 replies

E

Won this thingie on eBay, and I am mystified. I bid on it because I was pretty sure it was a mug that had been tricked out as a candle holder by one owner or another, and was all prepared to restore its former glory. Not so sure though. It has epoxy or something on the upper rim holding the candle tray in place. The screw to jam the candle onto comes loose, but the holder won't budge, not surpisingly. The weirdest thing is the finish. Ever gotten a mug that has this matet streaky crap brown finish that comes off with paint thinner? I am praying there is glaze underneath (just did a test rub on the bottom so far), and am contemplating getting some acetone to try to dissolve the epoxy.

Or on the other hand, if someone has seen one before, tell me quick so I don't bugger it up!

aloha, em.

E

Er, "matte" brown finish that is...

This is a TOBY Tiki, a little different, but from the same company than the ones shown on page 183 of the BOT.
I have it as a lighter, but you can pop out the lighter part and I can see how a candle holder base would fit right in there.
And it DOES have the same paint job. But it also says in clearly stamped letters
"Toby Designs c 1962, Made in U.S.A."
on the bottom...

E

Aloha Sven,

Thanks to that image in BOT, I knew Toby turned that design into all kinds of things. This definitely is a Toby, has the same info on the bottom. It is strange that the mugs had such a nice glaze, but this candle holder has something resembling thin wood stain slapped onto it. Still, I love that design!

:), em.

Pages: 1 3 replies