Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Interesting Facts about the Creation of 'Tiki' -

Pages: 1 5 replies

The following is the first installment of "Interesting Facts about the Creation of 'Tiki'" (or just plain IFATCOT).

#1 Without opposable thumbs, tiki would never have been created.

#2 - In ancient times, Tikis were carved from wood, stone, or fruitcakes.

#3 - If a carved statue of a god was thrown into the ocean and it sank, it was considered to be stone. To celebrate this fact a small hairless dog would be sealed inside a whole yam and baked in a pit of hot stones. After two days, since everyone refused to eat it, it was dubbed "Tiki" which means "Leftovers" in Proto-Polynesian.

Sabu

On 2004-01-09 10:18, Tiki_Bong wrote:

#1 Without opposable thumbs, tiki would never have been created.

Well, you don't need opposable thumbs to do this. God allowed this, so that monkeys would not rule the world.
Hey Monkeyman! Where did this bar crawl take place?

[ Edited by: Unga Bunga on 2004-01-09 11:32 ]

Here's another photo from Monkeyman's bar crawl. Bummed I did not make it.

[ Edited by: Unga Bunga on 2004-01-09 13:24 ]

OH God! I have to get my ears fixed! How come nobody told me??? A$$holes!

1. The End: Early Proto-Polynesians from the "Antique mall" Islands would vie with each other for the title of "More-Tiki-Than-Thou", manifested by the accumulation of crude ceramic drinking vessels, brightly colored tapa-cloth clothing, carved idols, pictorial representations of communal dining structures and puffer-fish bodies converted into lighting apparatus. This activity revolved around the ritual of creating and consuming vast quantities of a mildly narcotic drink distilled from local fruit stuffs.

This soon degenerated into an all out war of avarice resulting in the demise of the culture due to the neglect of necessary occupations, such as food gathering and other basic economic activities. The final death blow came from a neighboring tribe diluting the original tribe's culture due to a weakening through it's preoccupation with material objects.

The conquering tribe, who's rituals, brightly colored tapa-cloth clothing, stylized avian head-dresses appear similar to the uninitiated into the original tribe's inner mysteries. However, the opposing tribe from the South Eastern Islands were composed of members from the mainly male fraternal organizations of that group, distinguish by the fan-like structures mounted to their canoes.

" Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah!"

-RevBambooBen-

[ Edited by: Atomic Cocktail on 2004-01-09 12:54 ]

[ Edited by: Atomic Cocktail on 2004-01-09 12:59 ]

Pages: 1 5 replies