Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Bel-Mateo bowling Thu 1/15 (SF bay area)

Pages: 1 20 replies

A

According to a certain history source, "a sort of bowling has been popular among Polynesian Islanders for at least several centuries." So it is very topical to suggest a bowling nite here on TikiCentral.

Naomi and I were thinking of heading over to Bel-Mateo bowl in San Mateo next Thu 1/15. It's league bowling until 9, but then open til midnite. So we thought anyone interested in joining us could come by our place in Belmont first, for a little pre-bowl lubrication. Then we can head down the hill to the bowling alley with one of the last great googie signs around. We also could all make a stop at the Villa Hotel, former plaza-mate to the Lanai restaurant.

Unhappy with the clutter in your own home? Come see our amalgamation of junk and you won't feel so bad! Also come see the Lanai tiki and our giant Tiki Bob!

More details later, but post here or email me if you wanna come, and I'll make sure everyone who contacts me gets the directions.

This is the San Mateo and Belmont in the San Francisco bay area, for anyone who didn't catch that in the subject title.

-Randy

M

We'll be there with balls on! Er, bells.

T

I'm in...I'll bring my biggest balls! :P

And how are the newlyweds? You guys are too cool, and if I was in the area......

A

Thanks Chiki! Hey, recognize this guy? This is where he lives now.

About Thu nite, tomorrow I'll send directions and our home phone to everyone who replied here or directly to me by email.

I'll probably get home around 7:30 on Thu, so people are welcome anytime from then on. We might have a snack or two available at our house, but not dinner. Libations will be provided.

-Randy

Digin' the Bel-Mateo! I'll do my best to make it.
Aloha,
:tiki:

B

Hey Randy, I'll try to make it over there, but I have class in San Jose until 9:30. I probably wouln't get there for another hour, so don't count on me for bowling. If you send me directions I'll do my best to swing by. Thanks.

M

Great to see everyone last night. Mucho mahalos to aquarj & Naomi for being stellar hosts and showing us their beautiful home. I'd prefer it if my total bowling incompetence would remain a secret. Thank you.

Let's see some pictures!

Holy Cripes! I think this was my 1000th post!! I was planning on doing something special, but it kind of snuck up on me. That's OK- thanking Randy & Naomi is special!

[ Edited by: martiki on 2004-01-16 16:22 ]

B

Hey Randy & Naomi, I'm sorry I missed this(damn school night), but I'd love to see the photos.

A

Hey, that was fun! Nice having some people over to our (unnamed) home, and also getting to show some of the local sights in Belmont/San Mateo. We should indeed go back and visit Ali at the Villa bar when he finds his shoebox full of Lanai recipes. I'll probably stop by and give him a Grog Log sometime just for fun.

Hope to post some pics this weekend.

-Randy

Hey, it was great to see some new faces last night!

We got thrown out of the bowling alley at midnight, even though we hadn't played all the games we'd purchased. Next time we ought to go to the Serra Bowl in Colma, which is open 24 hours.

T

*On 2004-01-16 15:47, cynfulcynner wrote:*the Serra Bowl in Colma, which is open 24 hours.

So is the Holiday Bowl in Hayward. If you go, be sure and stock up on beer at 1:45 because they'll let you drink it after 2.

M

Well, we lost all of 25 cents each on the missing game. I more than made up for it in 50 cent Miller High Lifes! You really forget how bad that beer is. Then you drink it in plastic cups. shudder

H

Hey, I like Miller High Life! It's the champagne of beers, you know.

Sounds like you guys had a lot of fun.

Nice! It's a beer Trifecta.
:tiki:

[ Edited by: Tiki Royale on 2004-01-16 17:02 ]

M

It's a shitty beer trifecta!

Humu2, I'm going to pretend I never saw that.

T

Fo-toes...fo-toes...fo-toes...fo-toes...were are they??

And congrats to Martiki on your 1000 post!!! ....you blabber-mouth!! :D

Mahalo...and don't forget to visit the huge Tiki Gallery at:
http://www.tradervic.com
http://www.tikiroom.net
http://www.tikimug.net
http://www.tikimugs.net

[ Edited by: TikiHula on 2004-01-16 18:36 ]

M

Here are some photos in this link:
http://brucesphotos.videopic.net/show_collection.php?id=100389

thanks Benzart for the suggestions-and everyone else!

A

Here are some pics now, mostly credited to Naomi, who is unfortunately absent.

Sorry this is blurry. L-R standing are TikiRoyale, aquarj, Frenchy, Mig, [Tiki Bob], mrsmiley, Mrs. and Mr. Martiki, TikiHula. Limptiki and Cynful in the front.

Here's a little Bel-Mateo sightseeing. Old matches, the door to the Totem Room, and a booth inside.

And the keglers!

Cynful, with Frenchy and Mig

Martiki performs his ball massage ritual, as mrsmiley celebrates a gutterball.

Tenpin troop.

The beautiful sign outside. Strange, at the time I didn't notice that TikiHula had blowtorches built-in to his shoes. But maybe that's because my eyes were possessed by the devil.

-Randy

T

Yep, I guess you didn't know that my real job is as a lighthouse- I spin around on my back with my feet up in the air :D

M

I think you must be the stunt double for Michael Jackson in the Billie Jean video.

Pages: 1 20 replies