Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Richard Cheese at the House of Blues, Anaheim 1/9/04

Pages: 1 7 replies

S

The headliner is Dread Zepplin and Richard will go on around 9:00 pm. Never seen him before but I hear he's a riot.

Anyone OC/LA locals going to this?

Sorry about the late notice but I just found out about this.

Aloha,

STEN :wink:

[ Edited by: stentiki on 2004-01-09 16:18 ]

[ Edited by: stentiki on 2004-01-13 16:06 ]

DZ

Despite having practically worn out 2 of his cds, I've never see Mr. Cheese. However, I've seen Dread Zeppelin at least a dozen times - this is a double bill that is not to be missed!! Too bad I gots other plans already... If anyone here goes, be sure to post a review!

IG

The Maikai Gents and Hot Tub Elvis will be there!

S

What a show!

Richard Cheese certainly lived up to his billing and I was blown away by Dread Zepplin!

Richard Cheese opened up with "Closer" by Nine Inch Nails and there's just something hilarious about a lounge singer crooning the lines "I wanna f$ck you like an animal!"
He brought the house down with Sir Mix Alot's "I like BIG BUTTS and I cannot lie!"

Dick Cheese also performed an Eminem medley a did a great rendition of "Man in the Box" by Alice In Chains. Great stuff! You gotta catch him next time he's in town.

Although Dread Zepplin's been on the scene for about 15 years, I had never seen them before. Imagine Elvis Presley in a train wreck with Led Zepplin. They're set was an incredible hour + trip through Viva Las Vegas and the Houses of the Holy. The highlight for me was their rendition of "The Immigrant Song," one of my all time favs taking me back to my high school daze!

Definitely a must see and just what the Dr. Z ordered!

We even ran into Iuka Grogg at the bar. Good seeing you there, Judd. Hope you enjoyed it as much as we did.

Aloha,

STEN :wink:

P.S. Hey, I finally made it to 600 posts!!!

[ Edited by: stentiki on 2004-01-12 17:47 ]

Sten, glad to see you enjoyed this show. I've seen Dick Cheese live many times in the past 3 years or so and he's very entertaining. Sometime back in 2002, Hula Hula, my wahine, a few friends and I saw him perform at Taboo Cove/Venus Lounge in Las Vegas. My wahine actually danced up on stage with him and after the show I got him to sign my Tiki mug from Taboo Cove!

Good Times....

Yes, definitely good times!

I bet Taboo Cove was a great venue for Dick Cheese (no pun intended!).

We'll have to get the word out early next time he's in HT land so we can get some more TCer's out to see him. Also, did I mention what a riot Dread Zepplin was? Also, a must see!

DZ

With a little advance notice, I'm definitely there! As Stentiki said, Dread Zeppelin is a lot of fun - excellent musicianship combining awesome reggae interpretations of Led Zeppelin and other classic rock tunes (Smoke On The Water, Free Bird, etc.), all sung by "Tortelvis", an Elvis impersonator. (It's actually a lot better than it sounds in print - ask anyone who's seen 'em!)

The music even holds up well on it's own - I've got their first three albums and actually listen to them on a regular basis, not just for the novelty value. (PM or e-mail me if you want me to burn a copy for you...)

I am bummed I missed this. I have seen Dread Dread Zeppelin a few times & always enjoyed the show. What a great lineup to see them with Richard Cheese. Next time, I am there.

Pages: 1 7 replies