Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Schwinn Sting-Rays

Pages: 1 9 replies

T

Well, these may not be Tiki, but they are definetely Retro. I restored 5 of these (with the stik-shift) and are gonna look kool parked next to my Tiki bar when I am done building it. Rememeber the Dyno "Taboo Tiki" bike? I missed that one, but these are superb also. Don't recall what they look like? Banana seats and more. Visit my webpage:

http://www.geocities.com/thegarz/mybikes.html

I don't normally sell these, but enjoy sharing and helping others with their projects...

E

Dude, where's a picture of you?

Anyway, I had a bike just like these when I was about 10. It had green paint, a gold-flecked banana seat and a 3-speed shifter only. I think it may have been a knock-off, but was totally cool. We used to race 'em down the street and pop out a "drag chute" made out of a garbage bag. I always envied the guys who got their Dads to stick extra-long front forks on theirs!

:), em.

I have a few non-schwin street bikes like those. I found a guy who sells parts pretty cheap out of California.

Not trying to be crude, but we used to call those shifters "Nut Busters".

IMHO they are the next best bikes to beach bikes.

J

extended front forks were definitely cool, so was a steering wheel in place of handlebars. Screaming around city streets, no helmets, and eating sh** regularily!!! How I survived childhood is unknown.

S
SES posted on Sat, Jan 10, 2004 11:11 PM

I had a turquoise bike with a flower seat that I rode all over the place.

Red Stingray with a silver sparkle banana seat. I remember my brothers teaching me how to ride. First push off from big borther, and I close my eyes I was so panicked. Right off a curb and into wipeoutsville.

It was my equivalent of a dog, we went everywhere.

I was crushed the day I came out of school only to find it stolen.

TG
http://www.exotic-tiki-gardens.com

T

Ok, I guess I am not as photogenic as my wife and brats...here's a link to my pic..

http://groups.msn.com/SchwinnTalk/thegarzsbikes.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=137

Man, I really enjoyed reading those bike stories...keep'em coming!

I used to have an Apple Krate (until my older brother sold it, the schmuck!) I loved that thing, even though I was teased constantly. In those years, if you didn't have a 10 speed, you were some kinda loser. Which, strangely enough was one of the story lines from tonights episode of The Simpsons.

-Z

T

Tiki Gardner: Ya, I had my Coppertone color Sting Ray stolen back when I was nine (1972!). It was traumatic, but hey, I worked hard and got another one...maybe that's the reason why I collect these...I think I have 15 or 16 bikes out in the shed...
Zombified: How times have changed! Nowadays, the average 10 speed you can get for $10-$15 at any swap meet...nobody wants them! Sting -Rays are the koolest bike around, as seen by their recent upswing in prices...just check ebay if ya know what I mean...

I remember having a bike like one of these, but it had a big fat squared off redline slick in the back. Yeah, like i was going to do a dragster burn-out in the first grade. Toughskins with plastic knees and a horizontal striped turtle neck shirt, construction-type boots and a Ricky Ricardo 'doo! (off-topic slightly)

Pages: 1 9 replies