Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Ben Davis...

Pages: 1 14 replies

Our own Benzart....are you ready?

B

Why,Yes,I Guess so,Thanks.
I was sitting here looking at the page and thinking how to start a new threadand by god it Popped up right in front of my eyes...Magical???I am scanning more Trop Tikki as I write, Computer does not like it one bit though.The Tropicana got some of my best work as far as Tiki goes. Theywere really great to me and treated me royally. they brought me out to Vegas 3 years in a row, the first for only 6 months and then 3 months and then1.

B

I'm scanning and uploading more as we speakI really AM Thinking about trying to carve some small pieces,just to see what I can do.
I had a lot of bone removed from my meck and both thumbs.There is Heavy metal in my neck with 5 screws holding it all together.So when mymdoc says"you got a screw loose" he means littraly..I always overdid the work and am paying for it now.
For instance that "Big Red Tiki"at 12 ft, only took me 6 days to complete. his elbows are 5ft tip to tip.
http://www.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=67b0de21b343a0cdc48b Here is the link to about127 pictures,a lot tiki

[ Edited by: Benzart on 2004-01-10 21:46 ]

[ Edited by: Benzart on 2004-01-10 21:47 ]

S
SES posted on Sat, Jan 10, 2004 9:22 PM

I was typing to suggest this in creating tiki ASAP and it was there when I looked! BK is fast......

Hope the screws stay tight so you keep working.
Love the carvings!

G
GECKO posted on Sat, Jan 10, 2004 9:35 PM

Very well done. Where is the first tiki at? I love the tiki in da 2nd pic. Heres a new carver for you east coast peopo dats looking for a different style.

Aloha from Honolulu Ben.

B

Ahhh,TheMaori, with the Tattoos all over the fasce and body.Very much my favorite style.
I haven't carved for about 10 years, been totally out of it.I tried jewelry ,,but even carving wax was too difficult. I've had some major patchwork done and I think its time to try it out.
Basement Kahuna, Thanks for starting this thread. I can't tell you All how this site has affected me since I stumbled into it yesterday morning.Thanks.
If anyone wants a picture of any of these, Feel free to take it,Carve it and Sell it if U can. I'll even helpif poss.

gReat sTuff, so nice to see original tikis. I can't beleive that huge 12 footer took you only 6 days. gOod luck with the carving!

B

Gecko...Your work is very top knotch, really like it.
All the tikis in the Tropicana album (I will be adding More) were done at the Tropicana Hotel, Las Vegas. A few years ago when they changed to a "Victorian" theme, the Tikis were auctioned Off and I hear Mostwent to employees. If you want to know further, seek out the Head of the Landscape department there, Don Davis (no Relation).He is a nice guy and may know where each one went.
Thanksagain

B

Last one for tonight, Goin ta bed.
Check yous guys in the morning

Great stuff! (Great history!!!)

And, a very cooooool Name to boot!!

(Baxdog, this is going to put a stop to you calling us Benz! Ha!)

Your work is absolutely beautiful! The lines of all your carvings are so smooth and graceful. I especially like the dolphin tables where the head is poking up above the glass 'water."

A refeshing new look at tikis and tropical work... once again, beautiful work and mahalo for sharing it with us!

H

I really love your stuff, Ben. In particular, I think it's great how you were able to stylize the traditional designs just a bit to make them your own, without making them cartoony. Really nice. I bet you would be able to create some really cool things in a number of different mediums, if it turned out that the carving is a no-can-do thing now.

Here is Charles with his new drum made from Honduran Mahogany.

Here he is with his new Taiaha made from a south Americaan Hardwood whose name I can't remember but was really Hard and Heavy,
. I added no stain and what you see is the natural color.It was someting like Cocobola or such.

Hear is the head of another Maori I did 12 ft tall.

Here is his stisk Drum and 2 PelicansI wish I had taken more and Better pictures of these

[ Edited by: Benzart on 2004-01-13 08:42 ]

B

To RevBambooBen, I think this will only Begin MORE "Benz???" names, just watch.

T

Look what I found in the archives, look at the shutterfly album of stuff from Benzart, that is some great stuff.

Pages: 1 14 replies