Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Oceanic Art Books?

Pages: 1 4 replies

Hi all. I was wondering if there were any Oceanic Art books that any of you would recommend. I'm looking for books with a lot of detailed pictures of traditional patterns and carvings so I can give my future art projects a more authentic and less "western influenced" look. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

I have 2:

-Oceanic Art by Anthony JP Meyer
Out-of-print, but you can still find it on Amazon.

-Oceanic Art can't recall the exact name, but it's from the Detroit Institute of Arts.

I like both, but I'm still looking for more. I'd like to find a book on Tapa...

-Z

I'm always searching for these books as well when I'm out thrifting, but don't have the patience to search thru all the books. I guess they will just fall into my lap some day.

K
Kono posted on Mon, Jan 12, 2004 6:24 PM

Surely not the best, but can be picked up cheap. It's got 71 color plates. I've had it for a while but was actually reading the text for the first time today. It was published in 1966 so some of the anthro theories may seem a little out of date but it's a good read. It's a small book but the pics are good; museum pieces, nothing in the field. Did I mention it's cheap?

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0600367029/qid=1073956537//ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i0_xgl14/103-7383448-8301422?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

Thanks for the recommendations! I almost bought one the other day at a used book store, but they were asking $65 for it and it was a bit on the slim side. These sound much more reasonable. I'll check 'em out.

Pages: 1 4 replies