Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

"down with love" movie review

Pages: 1 7 replies

Just saw the comedy "down with love" with Rene Zellwigger and Ewan McGregor..loved it!

If you like the whole lounge/space-pop thing, this movie (and the soundtrack) will apeal to you! The costumes, apartments (especially Catcher Block's swinging bachelor pad) are too cool!

I really liked how when they show the charactors in a car, the traffic out the rear window is stock early 1960's traffic footage!!

The burlesque/strip club scene is also way cool..dig the space helmets the strippers wear!

[ Edited by: feelin' zombified on 2004-01-12 21:22 ]

Ah, Mick...

If'n it wasn't you were in my band, and I gotta see you in about 6 hours, I'd lay into you like a DI on a new recruit.

But seeing how you're the best bass player I ever had/heard, I'll let it slide.

In the future, post non-tiki items in "Beyond Tiki".

(you bringin' beer and Schnapps tonight?)

TM1

sorry Staff Sergeant Bong!!!

Nah, I was hoping you would mix up some Mai-Tais for us!!!

I highly agree with Tiki Mick. I wasn't expecting much when I went to see Down with Love" especially considering they were messing with one of my favorite genres. But they actually pulled it off.

It reminded me a lot of Sex and the Single Girl (1964) with Natalie Wood and Tony Curtis. (If you love lounge/cocktail, go rent it! Great title song by Fran Jeffries and there's a car chase on the newly opened 405 freeway in Sepulveda Pass. Oh, and don't forget the scene with Ms. Wood half naked in bed.)

Atomic Cocktail also especially liked the club with the space girls dancing on stage. Wasn't it called The Astronauts Club or something like that?

[ Edited by: vintagegirl on 2004-01-12 22:12 ]

my wahine who is a junkie of such genre films claims the movie cribbed heavily from a doris day / james garner film.

i thought the vibe was generally accurate; the art direction was not really historically accurate - the clothes etc seemed more of a decade era than from a specific year. perhaps that was the intention, more of an homage than a re-creation.

the casting that was brilliant was david hyde-pierce taking the role normally filled By tony randall back in the day. and putting tony randall in as a honcho.

j$

Vintage girl, that sounds like a killer movie!! (the natalie wood movie)

What ever happened to Fran Jeffries, anyway?

I saw her in the original pink panther movie, (1964 I believe) singing "meglia sta sera" (it had better be tonight) with people dancing and lot's of bongos in the background...very cool!!!

...my wahine who is a junkie of such genre films claims the movie cribbed heavily from a doris day / james garner film.

i thought the vibe was generally accurate; the art direction was not really historically accurate - the clothes etc seemed more of a decade era than from a specific year. perhaps that was the intention, more of an homage than a re-creation...

I think the makers were influenced by a lot of films, Obviously, the Hudson/Day films (with Zellweger trying her darnedest at a breathy Doris Day impersonation) and such films as the 1966 Tony Franciosa/Ann Margaret "The Swinger" and "Boys Night Out" with Randall, Garner and Kim Novak from '62.

As far as being accurate, considering most American "period" films can't even get the decade right they did a pretty good job-at least they hit the 60's. Yeah, so maybe Astrud Gilberto's "Fly me to the Moon" wasn't out in '63 and Courreges "Space" designs were later. At least they made an attempt at period (and design wise it does all fit together.)

I was expecting to be under-whelmed at the least but was pleasantly surprised. I found the film to be a lot of fun (and Thank GOD! Ewan Macgregor didn't scream out songs as in "Moulin Rouge"!)

By the way, Daniel Orlandi the costume Designer on "Down with Love" just designed the upcoming "historical" film "The Alamo"

" Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah!"

-RevBambooBen-

[ Edited by: Atomic Cocktail on 2004-01-13 11:48 ]

Pages: 1 7 replies