Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Coco Joes -VS- Hip MORE new pics!!

Pages: 1 2 3 113 replies

A

Interesting one Kono - haven't seen that before. The original sculpt is definitely HIP, because it's the same girl face as on other HIP hula girls. CJ's and other brands were sometimes painted with a bronze or gold paint to look metallic, especially some of the ashtrays. But as for that one, I guess only the owner knows what it's made of.

-Randy

HOK

On 2004-01-16 02:07, Sabina wrote:
Also, to point out just a couple of other oddities, I'm surprised no one else had mentioned the labels some Coco Joe's still have- like this for example-

Some of mine still have their labels and/or stickers, but others are missing.

Also- here's a set I've assembled-

Secondly, my version of this-

seems to be an unusual casting, perhaps promotional, as instead of the usual "Hawaii" text, mine says "Bearings KAMAN Bearings","Made in Hawaii HIP Original c75", which you can see in these-

and

and

Anyone have the faintest clue what Kaman bearings refers to?

Then there's this- my treasure- no maker's mark but wow, what a ...Tiki...

With Warrior cloth-

and without-

These last two strike me as 'unusal' perhaps the 'hapa' and 'lava' equivilants to 'most unusual mug'.

[ Edited by: Sabina on 2004-01-16 18:11 ]

You are correct about the Kaman Bearing promotional ashtray. We have one outlet here and they specialize in different bearings used for industrial and commercial applications.

I wanted to post these pix in a reply to the topic "authentic pictures of tikis crossing the Pacific", or something similar to that, I can't seem to find the topic using search, so I'll post them here.

cocojelly boats.

ST

[ Edited by: Sneakytiki 2006-05-12 13:31 ]

M

Hi to everyone!

I have two of these figurines sat here next to me,I have searched the internet high and low for what they are,Anyway after much searching i found this place,Started looking around for my figurines and i must say wow you guys have some real amazing stuff! And i thought my two figures were cool.
Anyway.......I have now found one of them Ebay (A HIP ORIGINAL Hula girl ?) but its cracked,I have had no luck whatsoever in finding a pic of the other one though (another HIP ORIGINAL BEACHBOY DANCER ???)
I started off my search in hope of a little info on them and a starting price for ebay now after seeing all of your collections im not so sure i want rid of them!
Great forum you have here.
Any information would be greatly appreciated :wink:

HOK

Aloha, did you check the completed item search on ebay for similar items? Is your beach boy playing the drum (12" tall) or dancing the hula with a pair of uli uli (8" tall) :tiki: HOKU

HOK
HOK
M

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=012&item=220011198074&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMESE%3AIT&rd=1

Thanks for your help on finding my statues.

Thought i would post the ebay link to them so you can check out the actual ones.

Once again thanks for your help! :)

P
Paipo posted on Thu, Nov 9, 2006 2:55 AM

Bumping this in the hopes of some of the missing images being restored.....this is a pretty cool resource for people who collect this stuff (like me)!

E

On 2006-11-09 02:55, Paipo wrote:
Bumping this in the hopes of some of the missing images being restored.....this is a pretty cool resource for people who collect this stuff (like me)!

I JUST WANT TO KNOW which is harder to find would it be coco joe or hip?

thanks

enigma

I'd say Hip.

On the East Coast (US), anyway. I'm always stumbling up on CCJ items,

Swamp

Sorry Paip, I know you have already seen these.

I will take some photos of my collection and post them here, bummer about all the pix we are losing from this site.

I don't add a lot of photos of pieces that are already posted but I've never seen this piece on TC so thought I'd add to the thread.

HIP, Made in Hawaii, 12".

[ Edited by: Sneakytiki 2012-03-10 12:59 ]

I also haven't seen this exact ashtray... Coco Joes?

I see a lot of the original pix are gone so I'll add mine here:

K

Here's my little group. Pretty common stuff, I think.
The first is HIP, 1974. Second is a Coco Joe, #134. Last one is unmarked.

The tiki on the third piece has green sequins for eyes.

Last one is a HIP...Hawaiian Island Product... :)

Related link...... http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=30888&forum=5&hilite=hip

Thank you, Ku!

Pages: 1 2 3 113 replies