Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Help on Value of a ten FT Akua Ka'ai Totem pole

Pages: 1 9 replies

Hey all,
New to the list and need a little help, On a recent trip back to NJ I found a 10 ft tall (Approx) Tiki totem. I took the guys card, and gave the promise that I would call back asap. I recognize that it is not a chainsaw tiki of today and I would place its age at aroundearly sixties to late fifties. (due to the structure that it is housed in.)
I think it may be my best find ever, little help on what one might offer on such an item.
thanks for the help!
Rustbeltcat

F

Ebay. $1 no reserve

G

A vintage tiki price ....HMMMM LETS SEEE????I charge anywhere from $200 a ft and higher for a new one. 200 x 10 + a six pack of Hinano= $2007.99

Soooo, if you can get it way under that, It's a STEAL BRADDAH! specially if it's a OA, Bumatay, Guanko or our new memba Ben who did da Tropics art work!

Star LOWWWW. Offer him $400, if he laughs tell him you'll throw in a 6 pack of Hinano(Tahitian beer).....My customers always get me on that one!

I say run ova and get'em befo' someone else here beats ya to da TREASURE!
Make sure you post pics if you get it!
good luck!

Hmmmmm seems that I am in for a treat! I'm off on a road trip back to eastern PA to go and get him... Wish me luck! What is the best way to ID the maker/carver? did the early carvers sign or initial their works? IE on the bottom or back???
Bottoms up!
Rustbeltcat

S

You just have to know the style of the carvers and know the types the made to figure out who did it. With a picture, we could take a stab at it.

Show me a picture, and I tell you who carved it (or supplied it). Tikis were hardly ever signed.
Hmmm, judging from your area, we could be talking about a Mauna Loa, Detroit, or Kona Kai, Philadelphia, heritage...

Hey Man, I wish that it was from Mauna Loa, The only tiki remnants that I've found from there is a couple of small rocks style glasses, they are neat in that they are from there, but they dont have a Tki on them, just an english style captains hat with an orchid.
I saw this guy out by roadside america(The ten footer) on a trip back to NJ to visit my folks.thanks to all that replyied, I'll keep you informed on further develpoments
Rustbeltcat

On 2004-01-15 00:29, bigbrotiki wrote:
Show me a picture, and I tell you who carved it (or supplied it). Tikis were hardly ever signed.
Hmmm, judging from your area, we could be talking about a Mauna Loa, Detroit, or Kona Kai, Philadelphia, heritage...

i don't believe you will find it to be from the philadelphia kona kai.. i have stumbled upon those guys already!! too rich for my wallet though... anyone interested in the whereabouts?

Well we now know how rb-cat's quest ended- with a full score!

I knew the Kona Kais were out there, but also guessing how expensive they would be kept me from wanting to find out more...now I got to!

yeah i wanna know- where are they?

Pages: 1 9 replies