Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

Swank Vinyl Exotica

Pages: 1 16 replies

S

I made up a bunch of these CD's to sell at Hukilau and came home with some, so they are now for sell HERE. 32 tracks gleaned from a large collection of exotica records. This batch was picked to cover a lot of ground, and leans more towards the traditional Hawaiian and Tahitian/Polynesian and American Poly-Pop sounds, but there are a couple of the more way out lounge versions too.

If someone would check the download link at the bottom, I'd appreciate it. I can't get to it here at work and can't be sure I have it right.

Swanky gave me this compilation at the Hukilau, it has some great classics and also unknown tunes on it, fun to hum in the car to and learn the lyrics, for future drunken reveries.
It kind of doubles up my Singalong CD concept, but I will avoid any outright doubles on mine...IF I ever get my s#%@ together and actually MAKE it!

As I said, I also plan to make a Book of Tiki CD.
....AND a Paul Page CD, and a naughty Calypso CD, in the hopes that they will find interested buyers....

How long IS that future projects list???

S

I can only imagine Sven's Project List is longer than mine, and mine is so back logged, I'll need to live to be 200! The pile of stuff I need to scan and turn into web pages would have me scanning and cropping and tweaking for weeks alone. Then there is the bamboo bar with built in electricity and microfridge I promised Kiliki ages ago. Piles of records to record and burn to CD. A broadcast I have neglected due to Hukilau. Endless web projects. Too many interests.

I need to organize and prioritize. Make a list and get it done. Scan this pile of postcards this week. That book next... Oh yes! The new computer comes next month and maybe it will speed up the processes. Maybe.

Ah. The modern life. What ever happened to the good old days of working late, then going to the Lodge meeting and getting home late, going to bed and doing it all over again? The decline of the Lodge has sent us all home to slave away the hours on personal pursuits.

[ Edited by: Swanky on 2002-08-07 12:03 ]

M

Would this item be an example of naughty calypso or "not he!" calypso?

J

Wow! That is a wicked album - what does it sound like? Does Bob sing?

:drink:

S

Yes, he sings. Kiliki loves this record, I can barely tolerate it. Supposedly he spent many a time down Calypso Way, and was into it before anyone. But, regardless, it's just rather kitschy to me, and not enough to make me use it on my broadcast or anywhere else. It is available on CD too. Too bad they didn't put out something more worthy instead.

Hey Big Bro, let me know when your getting ready to do that book of tiki CD. I have friends with a couple of different record labels, Epitaph and Cornerstone RAS. I'm sure I could hook you up with a label that could get you regular distribution.

S

I have added a button to make the PayPal using people happier. I don't know why I didn't do this a long time ago. It's much easier than I thought.

M

Swanky,I was going to order the CD through Pay-Pal but your info says "shipping included" but the Pay-pal link added something like $4.55 for shipping. Do you need to change the Pay-pal info or is shipping no longer included?-
Mrconfusedguy

S

Hmmm. Lemme look at that. It is still included. The mug is $4.55 shipping. Thanks for the info.

S

I have it fixed. I don't know if that screws up the other buttons I have made. We'll see. They don't give you any way to troubleshoot these things. You can't send money to yourself, so it won't let you go through the motions to see what happens.

Thanks for your patience.

I don't wanna sound like the copyright police here, but do you have permission to copies of the recordings you're selling? It looks like you're exposing yourself to some legal action by the current holders of the rights to that music if you don't. I know this tends to get overlooked by some folks in these days of download-burn-and-share (and Lord knows I've made quite a few trips to Staples for blank CD-R's), but I think the line has to be drawn at profiting from copies.

"Profiting" is relative, how many will Swanky be selling all in all, 40 or 50 max? And that little money he'll be making is a fair exchange for his years of collecting and then making the songs available to the interested, songs that otherwise would languish in the vaults.
I am all for the artists getting royalties, but for that esoteric, miniscule distribution stuff it's just not realistic. And the artists would not get it anyway: Years ago, after I wrote the liner notes for the Ryko Arthur Lyman Taboo re-issue, I proudly brought a copy to the New Otani in Waikiki and had Arthur sign it, which he did sort of off-handedly: He told me that, (to my embarrasment), he was not going to see a dime from that re-issue!

And some copyright costs simply will keep pop culture buried forever, case in point is the Lilo + Stitch movie, which initially was going to have Blue Hawaii as a title song, and much more original Evis music than it has now, which would have made the film much cooler.
If even Disney can't afford Elvis royalties anymore, who can? The copyright holders will just sit on the stuff forever, and nobody will get to see/hear it, out of greed. All this stuff already HAS made it's money for the involved! Pop culture for the people!

S

What is on the CD is NOT simply ripped off some other CDs and compiled onto this one. I will never do that, and if I do, it will not be sold at any profit. I am asked for a CD version of my station's music often, and I do not offer it. I might give one to a friend or use it as a promo for a DJ gig, but not to sell at any profit.

What's on this disk is all vinyl. I think some of the Alfred Apaka may be on CD somewhere, but I don't own that. I put a lot of my own time and effort into making this disk. Starting with the record collection of a few decades to the hours required to record, tweak and mix the actual CD. I spent weeks just listening to every record to find the few tracks I wanted to use.

I started out with the CD to make a little money to offset Hukilau 2002. At this point, with Kiliki and I loosing well over $1500 of our own money on the event, every little bit helps.

But I justify it this way. 1) I have a lot of my own production costs involved in this. It is not a quick rip and burn job. 2) Most of this material is on record only and few would every hear it. If anything, I might get people interested in reissuing some of it, but I doubt it. And if people start buying old records, who gets that money? Artists? If I sell my record collection, does Alfred Apaka get a cut? Maybe he does off the CD and maybe that CD sells better with my promotion. I look at it like radio. It's a promotion whose good effects on the music in it offset the cost of royalties.

If there is a legitimate issue by a copyright owner, I'll listen, as with the Tiki Gardens LP. But I think the artist was happier knowing people were listening, than anything.

So, yes I care about rights. I am very involved in the issue as an online broadcaster. I have carefully considered it all. I feel I am doing a very good thing, and I dare say the only ones who would argue are the RIAA and other non-artists. It's not as though I am costing anyone a CD sale. No one is losing money beacuse of my efforts. They are gaining the chance to hear this long gone music.

On 2002-08-07 10:31, Swanky wrote:
I made up a bunch of these CD's to sell at Hukilau and came home with some, so they are now for sale...

Man, oh, man...I just ordered mine!

H
Hamo posted on Wed, May 31, 2017 9:16 PM

I was clued into Swank Vinyl Exotica while listening to Episode 50 Part II of Exotic Tiki Island over the weekend. Thanks Swanky for making it available as a free download. It's great!

http://www.swankpad.org/exotica/exotica.htm

Pages: 1 16 replies