Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Protecting your Tiki Collection?

Pages: 1 9 replies

D

besides avoiding bigbadtikidaddy's drunken roommate ~ what do YOU do, if anything, to safeguard your tiki collection?

i have been thinking about using "quake hold" putty ~ anyone have experience with this stuff?

any ideas?

**Poly-Pop ***

Bartender, make mine a glass of WATAHHH!!!!!

[ Edited by: PolynesianPop 2013-02-04 20:24 ]

Quakehold is the thing, I started using it after the Northridge earthquake cost me a couple of mugs.
My pal Doug Miller (see PAD p.130) had found a whole shelf of LUAU Beverly Hills glassware with the logo Tiki on it, in assorted sizes, just a week before that, and he lost most of it in that jolt.

'Quakehold'....that's like Blu-tack, right?

What about cleaning? Does everyone just dust them or should they go carefully into the sink with some soapy water every once in a while?

Trader Woody

Trader Woody wrote:

Trader Woody,
I always wash my mugs with soap & water when I first acquire them. Afterall, they were uses in a restaurant at one time or another. Just be careful when it comes to mugs with 'cold' paint on them. I know someone who had tried to wash a black Harvey's Sneaky Tiki mug and the cold paint came right off!

Once I've washed them the first time a periodic dusting keeps them looking good.

*** The Polynesian Popster ***

[ Edited by: PolynesianPop on 2002-08-07 14:44 ]

M

I'm actually fond of the dust on my collection, particularly on the fish floats. Makes the place feel old.

-martin

DZ

I've found that a can of 'compressed-air' is really effective for dusting mugs, especially those with a lot of raised detail. It also works well on velvet paintings, but only if used GENTLY.

I also actually prefer the dust of old on my mugs. It allows me to capture that feeling of transporting back in time and wondering about the secrets each and every one of these treasures hold.

when i find a new mug i always look in the inside, and the dirt tells you what the last person used it for, like pencil sharpenings, or dirt and tide marks if was used as a vase or little circles in the muck where coins have been.

i hope my wife never reads this post coz she'll really laff at my tiki obsesion.

Pages: 1 9 replies