Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

A couple of Californian punk questions

Pages: 1 18 replies

First off, does anyone know what happened to the magazine Flipside? Is it still going? It suddenly seemed to vanish off the radar and I never heard a reason why.

Second, does anyone have any inside info on the Dead Kennedy's Jello vs DK's debacle? I'm finding it difficult to understand who's the good guy/s with all the mud being slung around.

Ta,
Trader Woody

[ Edited by: Trader Woody on 2004-01-15 04:57 ]

TraderW,

Yeah Flipside! I remember picking up my copies on Melrose at a store called Punks Not Dead in the very early '80s.

(man, a lot of braincells under the bridge since then)

A Tiki Cheers To You

[ Edited by: Unga Bunga on 2004-01-15 10:24 ]

I picked up an issue of Flipside back around 1997/1998 with a cover headline that said something like "Final Issue" or "Farewell Issue." Don't know if it was ever resurrected. Fun stuff.

-Weird Unc

havent thought about that zine in a while. i still have one or two issues somewhere.
as far as DK goes, hard to sort out the data. have read both arguements, from the Alternative Tentacles website and the (new DKs) Dead Kennedys website, and it all boils down to ownership rights and each camps' word.
either way, why bring back the Dead Kennedys without Jello. seems like a pointless move by some some punks wanting to cash in.
just my two cents, whatever happens, i hope that the new band is not allowed to give the Gap rights to Holiday in Cambodia for one of their commercials.

[ Edited by: tikitanked on 2004-01-15 15:22 ]

I'll ask this guy I work with, he used to write for Flipside.

I tlaked to my coworker. He used to write record reviews for Flipside. He says that it just sort of faded away. The owners ( a husband and wife team ) slowy disappeared from view.

I guess when the last issue came out, they said that there was going to be one more issue. But that one never materialised.

He says he thinks they still live somewhere in Pasadena.

Thats all I could come up with...

TG

Thanks TG. I'd always managed to get my hands on copies of Flipside over here from one source or another, then suddenly they all dried up. I wasn't sure if it was just their foreign distribution that had screwed up. It's a real shame it's gone as it was always a whole lot more fun than MMR. No more photos of 'Rodney on the Roq' posing with yet another nubile girl band.....

Tikitanked - I hear you re. the Holiday in Cambodia Gap ad. The whole idea fills me with horror.

Trader Woody

Tikitanked - I hear you re. the Holiday in Cambodia Gap ad. The whole idea fills me with horror.

Trader Woody

Would Too Drunk to f... be better? (that would be even better theme for FCUK?)

or for Gap Kids...I K*ll Children?

[ Edited by: Kon-Hemsby on 2004-01-16 02:51 ]

Maximumrock'nroll was always the standard down here...I probably used to spend the better half of my money on 7" singles from that mag. We (our band Neato at the time) also sold our tapes and tees in MRR. I also used to distribute Lookout Records stuff and Positive Force Records stuff at our shows. Lookout? Well, what can you say...Operation Ivy, Isocracy, and (gulp) Green Day (played with them/was involved in a huge wiffle ball war with them way back in 1991). Positive Force was that 7 Seconds/Bedlam Hour/Youth of Today type stuff. The good news? Maximumrock'nroll is still around. The bad news...I'm getting too old.

I thought it would be appropriate to post my nine hundred and ninty ninth post, on this "Punk" topic.

Hey what ever happened to 999??? Did they slip and fall on their polish?

Hey, anybody remember Search And Destroy? Chris D. (from Divine Horsemen/The Flesheaters) was managing editor I believe? Based in LA?

[ Edited by: Basement Kahuna on 2004-01-16 10:06 ]

Also, what happened to Flipside records? I still have some old Babyland, Paper Tulips, some others... I occasionally find copies of their rocords on eBay, but I miss these guys.

On the DKs front, anyone know about East Bay Ray's exotica-lounge band Frenchy? I'd love to hear something about them.

One of my closest friends founded Flipside. He said they got screwed by their magazine distributor and never got paid a ton of money they were owed from sales, and despite several fundraising concerts they did not have enough $$ to continue putting out the mag.

got some 999 on vynil, i think i remember hearing something about them playing as recently as a year ago.
babyland is still great live

[ Edited by: tikitanked on 2004-01-19 01:14 ]

Yep, 999 are constantly doing the rounds on the pub-punk scene over here in the UK. They looked pretty old 25 years ago, so I imagine they look positively ancient now! You can feel safe in the knowledge BK that you'll never be as old as 999....

Didn't Search & Destroy become RE-Search, the book company? (Incredibly Strange Music & a lot of other interesting books) Maximum Rock and Roll was/is great for the ads and some of the interviews, but some of the scene reports were tough going to say the least!

Trader Woody

Didn't the lead singer of 999 join the Stranglers for their last few tours? This's getting too off topic... The next time I go over to my parents, probably in a month's time, I'll look through my old Flipside mags. I seem to remember that Flipside released a movie about teenaged-runaway-rock-n-roller-girls-gone-bad in the mid eighties, too.

On 2004-01-19 12:56, freddiefreelance wrote:
Didn't the lead singer of 999 join the Stranglers for their last few tours?

I think it was the singer from the Vibrators who joined the Stranglers. The Stranglers actually have a pretty big following still over here and play quite large venues. In a way they were the most successful of all the old punk bands.

Trader Woody

T

On 2004-01-20 02:02, Trader Woody wrote:

I think it was the singer from the Vibrators who joined the Stranglers. The Stranglers actually have a pretty big following still over here and play quite large venues. In a way they were the most successful of all the old punk bands.

That's surprising because I always found them more mainstream sounding (hard arena rock). They are probably my least favorite of the original UK punk bands.

I saw the Vibrators recent revival tour and they were great!

Pages: 1 18 replies