Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

20 Inch concrete TIKI $48.95

Pages: 1 17 replies

B

I bought this about 2 years ago, when we first moved to Port St Lucie, from a local concrete garden statuary shop for 40$. It has No markings on it and is different from any of their other statues. Anyone have idea as to origin or maker?

[ Edited by: Benzart on 2004-01-17 14:28 ]

could you post a pic?

-Z

B

Boy, I'm really losing it, Sorry, I took these shots specifically to post.

Thanks

[ Edited by: Benzart on 2004-01-15 10:59 ]

B

I've never seen that one before. I have seen several cement garden Moai but not many Tiki. It's a cool one. No markings at all? Do you still have the name of the shop? It would be worth a call to see if they still sell them, or would be willing to divulge their supplier. I know several folks who would want one for their Tiki gardens, (that's with a small "g" Tiki Gardener) but the shipping on a heavy piece like that might be a killer.

It's cool, I have never seen it as a statue, but it seemed vaguely familiar...my Tiki memory did not fail me:
I had seen it as the "Fish God" T-shirt emblem in the Val-Surf store ad on page 239 in the Book of Tiki.

Now the name makes sense, the head dress could have been viewed as having fish scales.
I have the "Surf God" (goddess?) and the "War god" as little 10 inch plaster stautes.

Val Surf still exists as THE classic Surf shop in the valley. Guess this Tiki must have made it to California, too. No idea who designed it or made it, though.

[ Edited by: bigbrotiki on 2004-01-15 12:21 ]

Wow, that is a way cool piece! We have several Moai in our back yard ranging from 12" to 36" that we have found at various garden centers. This is one that I have never seen before, but would love to find. I want it, I want it, I want it!

B

This one weighs in at 24 pounds. Idon't see the place in my phone book. It is in Fr.Pierce on US1 and I don't remember their name. I'll try to find out and let you know more also if still avail.
It may take a few days.

I

That's a sweet statue. It looks eerily similar to a Chinese kid named Eric that I went to school with.

B

Where is Eric now, Maybe we could make a Mould??

After looking at the pics, it kinda looks an like the green Aloha Hut tiki mug which can be seen on page 45 of Duke Carter's Tiki Quest. If it only weighs 24lbs, is it hollow?

sooo cool... thanks for posting those images!

for some reason he kind of reminds me of a chinese foo dog

B

No it's not hollow, it is solid, Just deceiving and it is more green than shown.

it reminds me of the Steve Crane Ku mug, the mouth is almost identical

B

The place is: Al's Concrete Specialties Inc.
7790 So US Hwy #1
Port Saint Lucie, FL 34952
772-878-4960
http://www.alsconcrete.com
Current price is $48.95 and he does ship anywhere in the US. The web site does not show much, but has their e-mail address. I explained to them that some Tiki Central members would be asking about the tiki, so see if they will discount it.
Good luck

8T

They are advertising on their website that they also have a 60% lighter concrete that they can use. I wonder if they would be able to make the tiki out of that. It would make it cheaper to ship to say...Calif., K.C. or the Great White North Eh?

B

that may me good if they can cast it at 60 0/0 lighter then it could weigh around 10 pounds. Go for it. Ask if he has Other Tikis also

8T

Here are a couple of Moai we picked up this summer from 2 different statuary places here in K.C. The smaller one is sitting in a birdbath which developed too many leaks and was then turned into a sort of terrarium.

Here is another type which is at the local amusement park called Worlds of Fun. Located in the Africa section, it is the only tiki thing anywhere in the park.

D

8ftTiki-Your yard looks like such a pastoral setting,it's no wonder your tikis are napping.

Pages: 1 17 replies