Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

South American Scorpion?

Pages: 1 15 replies

During the holidays I visited a little bar in Stratford, Ontario called the Albion. They have a signature drink called the "Consuela" which my fiancé said I just HAD to try. It's served with a long straw in a shallow pottery bowl that has two handles. I had to watch the bartender make it, since she wouldn't give me the recipe.

It's not exactly Tiki, but tasty all the same. I haven't got the measurements quite right yet, since she didn't measure anything, just swirled it into the bowl.
This is what it had:

Banana Liqueur
Coconut Rum
Long Island Iced Tea mix in a bottle
Tequila
Bar Lime
Bar Lemon
Coke

Has anyone heard of this? I think I've found an online source for bar lime and lemon, but wanted to make some at home. Does anyone have a good recipe?

I thought I'd share this with the board! If it turns out well, I may use it in my home bar!

Aloha, eh
-Tikiwahine
"The things that come to those that wait may be the things left by those who got there first"

Well, if it tastes good....but just going by the list of non-classic (premixed, flavoured) ingredients, this seems more like an 80s Frat Pack cocktail of the "Tiki Drinks"/Adam Rocke type.

That's what I thought. I'm a big fan of Banana Liqueur, and have been looking for something that's sweet, but still strong, and has that flavour. This drink was pretty good, but dosen't have that hoity-toity feeling most fabulous tiki drinks have. I'm not a big fan of tequila either.

I'm almost ready to bottle our first batch of Hefeweizen(a beer with a banana/clove aroma) but that's just not good enough. :)

Hola,

There is a banana licqueur called "99 Bananas" that is 100 proof and is quite nice. Tastes a little smoother than Dekuipers to me.

Makes rich Bananas Foster, too.

K
Kono posted on Thu, Jan 15, 2004 6:56 PM

On 2004-01-15 18:07, Geeky Tiki wrote:
There is a banana licqueur called "99 Bananas" that is 100 proof and is quite nice. Tastes a little smoother than Dekuipers to me.

Substitute 99 Bananas for the rum to make a wickedly delicious strawberry daquiri that will pummel your senses.

Did I say "wickedly delicious?" :oops:

Oooo! Sounds tasty!(and dangerous)

Too bad it's probably not available anywhere in Canada...
Any other Canadians seen it around?
I'll have to put it on my list for the next time I'm down south.
Last trip I picked up Marachino Liqueur, Creme de Noyeaux, and a nice dark rum.
Stupid BC Government run Liquor stores.

H

Tikiwahine -- Just checked the BC & WA liquor store websites... looks like BC indeed doesn't have it, but WA does. Here's the WA state website so you can check and see inventory the next time you're stateside:

http://www.liq.wa.gov

Thanks humuhumu!

much appreciated! I'm just on my way to check that website out :)

M

Yes, it is a real drink. I live in Los Angeles and there are at least 2 Mexican restaurants here that offer a Cosuela. One offers it in a large Mexican clay pot, very much like a scorpion bowl. The other place just gives it to you in a very large glass. However, the Conseuals I've had don't have as many ingredients in them. But I can say, the ones I've had are VERY tastey and certainly qualify as a tiki-like drink; sweet, tropical and knock you on your @*$#.

Hiya mriddle!
That's really cool, I had a feeling they weren't specific to that one bar, but couldn't find any information online. I'm happy to see that they're enjoyed all over the place :)

The bowl and straw really got my attention. 'If only there were three chupacabras supporting this thing' I thought.
Using each ingredient in a long island iced tea would make a much tastier concoction, the mix just seems to be used as a time/cost saver.

M

Tikiwahine,
I love the idea of a Consuela bowl that has 3 chupacabras supporting it!!! Oh that is a cool idea! Any mug makers reading this? If so, get started!

mriddle, if I get some time, I'll see what I can come up with. Fimo may be my prototype material!

On 2004-01-21 10:10, mriddle wrote:
I live in Los Angeles and there are at least 2 Mexican restaurants here that offer a Cosuela.

Care to tell us where? I'm always on the lookout for a new tippling sensation. Thanks!

-Weird Unc

M

The one place that serves them in an extra large "glass" is called Tequila's. Its in the SF Valley on Victory, 1/2 bock east of Woodman Ave. Its a very understated place, but the Consuela's are good.

The other place...for the life of me I can't remember the name!! Its in Burbank...I can see it in my head. It is west of the I-5 freeway. It is where 2 major streets split...either Burbank and Vanowen or Burbank & Victory...oh man, I'm suffering from CRS (can't remember sh&%*#!) Anyway, THAT is the place that serves the Cosuelas in a mexican scorpion-like bowl. I'm going to have to go there so I can remember the name.

M

Ok after meeting with Weirduncletiki on friday, I think he nailed the name of the place in Burbank. Granada Mexican Restaurant on Victory.

M

Got it folks. The drink is called a "COZUELA" The mexican restaurant I went to last night listed the contents as:
Rum, Tequila, Vodka, Gin, Cranberry Juice, Orange Juice, Genadine. Potent!!

Pages: 1 15 replies