Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

What is this thing?

Pages: 1 10 replies

K

I picked this up at Goodwill the other day. It's flat, metal on the back and the top is some sort of heavy plastic or something...almost feels like tile. Any idea what it is?

T

A trivet, perhaps?

Actually it's vernex made by the Art-Sten Corporation around 1982.

I know because my uncle used to work there and he gave my great-grandfather one when he graduated high-school.

G
GECKO posted on Thu, Jan 15, 2004 4:25 PM

nice info Kev!

So is it a vernex trivet? Or a vernex wall plaque? Or is it 'a vernex'?

Howya doin? Vernex!
Hey baby, I'll vernex you if you vernex me.
Vernex and coke, please!
Here, Vernex! C'mere boy! Good boy, Vernex!

I have a new favorite word. I may have to change my name from one manmade countertop material to another.

Yours,
Vernex DuBois?
Vernexini?
Vernexina?
Vernexus Lexus?

K

I thought it might be a trivet too. But shouldn't there be something underneath besides just flat metal? I'm not a trivet owner so I don't really know. Thanks for the vernex info...what exactly is vernex?

:drink:

[ Edited by: Juno on 2004-01-15 17:06 ]

DZ

On 2004-01-15 16:41, Formikahini wrote:

Howya doin? Vernex!
Hey baby, I'll vernex you if you vernex me.
Vernex and coke, please!
Here, Vernex! C'mere boy! Good boy, Vernex!

"Hey, no cuts! Vernex in line!"

The word Vernex comes from joining the term "vernacular", meaning the local language, with the term "perplex".
When Bong's uncle made this object at Art-sten in the early 1980s, nobody knew how to describe it to the local community, which was rightfully perplexed. So...

Say Bong, wasn't you uncle's name Werner?

On 2004-01-15 15:52, Tiki_Bong wrote:
Actually it's vernex made by the Art-Sten Corporation around 1982.

I know because my uncle used to work there and he gave my great-grandfather one when he graduated high-school.

Your Great-Gran'pa graduated from high-school around 1982? Cool, so did I! And I'm only a Gran'pa!

I did a search for Vernex on the web. They are a manufacturer of high quality plasma TVs. This obviously is an early prototype model that displayed only one picture.

K

Well, whatever it is, I think it's headed for Ebay.

:drink:

Pages: 1 10 replies