Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Indoor Habiscus

Pages: 1 4 replies

R

Okay, every year I have a couple Habiscus plants outside, and I've brought them inside the last couple winters in my sunroom. One of them started as a 10 gallon plant and is now 3 years old and 6 foot tall! Anyway, has anyone had any sucess with indoor Habiscus in a sunless room? Our new library has a tropical theme (or at least it will) and very limited sunlight.

this should be posted in the Planting Tiki forum.

Seriously, what climate do you live in? I've been wanting to do something similar but my wife thinks it's a waste because it'll die. When you bring them inside, in what kind of conditions are they living?

-Z

R

Okay, we have a sunroom. Basically, it's just another room of the house but it has 7 windows and a door with a bunch of windows. It is a part of the house (with heat vents) and stays just slightly cooler than the rest of the house (the windows must not be very thick). You can keep any plant alive in this room, just make sure the lowlight plants aren't in direct sun through the window (this can "cook" them). Anyway... it provides a lot of light. All of our plants actually grow indoors. Some herbs will grow there, but Basil doesn't. Lavender has done pretty well, as has rosemary.

Mine was doing great here in Wisconsin through September... I brought it in for the winter and it dropped all it's leaves and the branches dried out. The base is still green, but I hacked off the branches. I'm just keeping it moist and hoping the when I put it out in May that it will grow back. It has been potbound since last May and was doing fine... it wasn't cheap and I am kinda bummed.

On the other hand... my average room temp is 65-68... (old house... badly insulated, high heating bills) and my Bird of Paradise does extremely well in a pot indoors. It is now 4 feet high... Go figure.

On 2004-01-16 09:05, Feelin' Zombified wrote:
this should be posted in the Planting Tiki forum.

:)

Pages: 1 4 replies