Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

Exotica LP available for download

Pages: 1 2 71 replies

K

Those of you who are fans of old exotica might like the Warren Barker album that's now available for download at milwaukeejohn.com.

http://milwaukeejohn.com/featuredalbum

:drink:

S
SES posted on Fri, Jan 16, 2004 9:57 AM

Thanks! Will have to check that out!

Yeah baby! Mahalo!

K

Here's another freebie by the Blue Shadows:
http://www.retrolicious.com/exl/semsinatra/

:drink:

You rule! What a treat! Mahalo!

S
SES posted on Sun, Feb 8, 2004 12:20 PM

The Blue Shadows is a great batch of music! Thanks!

K

More free exotica!! I really like this one. Hurry and dowload it because it will only be up for about a week!

http://www.bellybongo.com/links/sharity.html

[ Edited by: Juno on 2004-02-17 06:59 ]

A

I put mp3s of another full LP up for download if anyone's interested. I'll probably leave this up for a few weeks and then replace it again with another LP.

It's called Tempos of Tahiti by the Catamaran Serenaders, and it is here.

Many familiar Hawaiian melodies on this LP, not the fast percussive sounds you might expect from an LP named for Tahiti. But I like this one because the steel guitar on all the tracks is pretty whimsical or even downright wacky.

This thread seemed like a reasonable place to post. Unless anyone objects, I'll just post here again next time too.

-Randy

[ Edited by: aquarj on 2004-07-19 01:28 ]

B

[ Edited by: BaronV on 2004-09-09 20:08 ]

A

BaronV, glad you could see the album cover tag - that's part of the fun! The LP has a gatefold cover, and actually the back has almost nothing on it - just a b&w repeat of the album title and songs but no graphics. Then the inside has the usual stuff about where the instruments and microphones were laid out during recording, and some text for each track.

-Randy

M

Thanks for the download! I'm listening to it right now. Thanks for including the album cover art too!! What year was this released? That is the one thing I've noticed about all the old records...no dates, not even a copyright year notice.

THANKS AGAIN!

[ Edited by: mriddle on 2004-05-27 09:55 ]

A

Right, no date anywhere on the sleeve or the vinyl label just as you guessed. Since it features two songs from Mutiny On the Bounty, and that movie came out in 1962, I guess at least we know it was 62 or later. Enjoy!

-Randy

T

MAhALO for the download!! I love it! It has me going out to find more.

Thanks Aquarj! I dig the wacky Yaaka Hula Hickey Dula! Wacka-do tiki-hoo! Many Cheers to you! K

[ Edited by: Kalikiana on 2004-06-03 22:14 ]

A

Here is another great LP - Chango & the Polynesians do Polynesian Percussion!

The music is available here. Great collection of Tahitian style Polynesian music. Many of these songs like Vana Vana, Minoi Minoi, Tahitian Festival, and Papio seem to be standards on a bunch of LPs with Tahitian music. There was a discussion about this on another thread in fact, since one of the best recordings of some of these standards was on the Polynesia! record by Charles Mauu & his Royal Polynesians on Capitol records. Anyway, feel free to have a listen. As usual, these mp3s will just be up temporarily for a few weeks or so.

-Randy

[ Edited by: aquarj on 2004-09-12 17:43 ]

M

"An Evening At The Royal Tahitian"
Ok, so here is a memento for those of you who are avid collectors of long gone Tiki watering holes! This is an LP that features the entertainers at the Royal Tahitian which was in Ontario California (east of Los Angeles). The LP appears to be produced by the RT itself. Featuring a very slow version of "Quiet Village"

CHECK IT OUT - but hurry, this will only be up for a short time!
http://www.gearconcepts.com/rt

[ Edited by: mriddle on 2004-07-19 16:28 ]

[ Edited by: mriddle on 2004-07-19 16:29 ]

[ Edited by: mriddle on 2004-07-19 16:30 ]

Thank you very much for posting the album of the Royal Tahitian. I live about 15 minutes away from the building (which is now a golf course) and I am always trying to learn more about it.

The golf people that are there now are rude, and could give a crap less about the history. In fact the city will tear down the building soon to make a new club house.

Nothing cool is left except the structure. The bridge out front is still there along with an old bent gas torch. Some big lava rocks in the back......but nothing else really cool.

Thanks again for the album

M

Erich,
Sorry to hear about how little remains of the original place. Its sad to hear that the city is going to tear it down soon too. Get out there and take some pics of what's left. I've been wanting to take a drive out there and see it for myself. I guess I better get out there soon. Glad you like the LP!
Cheers

Wow!!!!!! Great stuff!!!! Thanks for the Exotica. Beggars cant be chooooosers, but does anyone have a copy of Hawaiian Tattoo by Martin Deny that they could put up? I love that album and can't find it anywhere.

Thanx

K

Thanks for the "previews" of the LPs! It's always strange when you hear the ambient noise of the turntable emenating from your computer.

D

Kingslod,
Yeah I know what you mean! I had made the digital move back in the late 80's and hadn't put needle to vinyl in more than 10 years! I've got back into LPs after realizing that most of the exotica out there will probably never be on CD. I'm trying to balance my digital bias with my growing collection of analog LPs. I must admit I have grown to accept a kind of retro-cool aspect to hearing this older music with a few pops and clicks.

[ Edited by: Digitiki on 2004-07-22 09:51 ]

There's an obscure Les Baxter album called 'Alakazam the Great' available for download here:

http://www.basichip.com/

It's a childrens album about a monkey with Rat Pack-esque songs. Not his most Tiki album by a long stretch, but an interesting one for completists. (And those whose kids are into Sinatra).

Be quick, though - it's another that's just up for a week!

Trader Woody

A

Here's yet another semi-exotica LP for download!

It was the cover that originally attracted me, thinking it would be yet another Crown Records surf cash-in LP where they present some generic instrumental twist music and wrap it in a surfy cover. But it's not surf at all! From the beginning of the first song, I heard the percussion and thought "oh cool, this sounds like good exotica!" But then in other songs the flute comes in with the sort of slow mambo rhythm, so doubts creep in that maybe it's latin jazz. Well, you can decide for yourself! There's one song in particular I can't get out of my head - Polynesian Hayride. Just keep humming it over and over.

As usual, this might be just for a few weeks or so, and then it'll be time to post another one!

*Update - the tracks above ain't on the web anymore, although the cover image will stay. The music download link above will always lead to something, just not the same LP in this old post.

-Randy

[ Edited by: aquarj 2005-08-01 23:46 ]

Hey Lavapants, (responding to your shout out for Martin Denny's "Hawaii Tattoo".)

I have Mr. Denny's "Hawaii Tattoo" (as well as most others of his if anyone's looking for something in particular) and I am more than happy to share anything from out of my collection but I am a caveman when it comes to computers and have not yet figured out how to transfer an LP to my hard drive, let alone put it out on the web. So if there is anyone in the L.A. area who has it down to a science and wants to offer an assist, let me know.

[ Edited by: WheelerIsland on 2004-09-13 21:37 ]

[ Edited by: WheelerIsland on 2004-09-14 10:22 ]

K

Here's yet another semi-exotica LP for download!

What a SUPER exotica album! This is the kind of exotica I dig the most. Thanks for the post!

Thanks, aquarj -- downloaded the album and am enjoying it very much -- agree it's more "loungey" than surf -- but just love every bit of it!

What a SUPER exotica album! This is the kind of exotica I dig the most. Thanks for the post!

Indeed! This is an excellent album. Thanks for sharing it.

D
davew posted on Fri, Sep 17, 2004 9:53 AM

very cool,thanks for sharing!

Tak Shindo's "Mganga" is now up at http://www.bellybongo.com/links/sharity.html

K
Kono posted on Fri, Sep 17, 2004 7:53 PM

On 2004-09-17 18:44, Selector Lopaka wrote:
Tak Shindo's "Mganga" is now up at http://www.bellybongo.com/links/sharity.html

Yes!!! Thanks for the heads up!

Thanks, Lopaka.

I've grabbed it too. One of the few exotic albums I don't have yet.

[ Edited by: Sabu The Coconut Boy on 2004-09-17 22:33 ]

V

[ Edited by: vegasvic on 2005-03-04 08:10 ]

K
Kono posted on Sat, Oct 9, 2004 7:10 PM

Thanks vegasvic, Kapu's a favorite of mine. I actually digitized it myself but my copy was pretty rough. These tracks sound much, much better. Mahalo! :drink:

I just wanna say how much I love this thread! It's made me go out and finally purchase some good speakers for my computer...

And , having just finished most of a scorpion bowl by myself, I think I'm in a proper state to declare my love for all of you who supplied these links to these splendid mp3's. I love you guys!

Mahalo! Mahalo! Mahalo!

[ Edited by: Slacks Ferret on 2004-10-10 00:43 ]

V

[ Edited by: vegasvic on 2005-03-04 08:11 ]

many many thanks for another fine gift...
even tho I have an insanely huge music
collection I really look forward to these
nuggets from Vic.

K

Hi, I'm new to the board. I've collected exotica lps when I was in college (late 80's early 90's), and since then have lost most of them due to "lending" them to friends, selling some for quick dough, etc. I would like to know if there is a place for people to trade cdrs of unreissued or non commercial exotic music, so I can start rebuilding my collection. I hope this is a proper question to ask in a public forum!

bump

i can vouch for kinggab, he's a swell guy :tiki:

if you want to pm him or me, that would be cool too

mahalo

I can vouch for J$.

i vouched for you first, secretly...

V

[ Edited by: vegasvic on 2005-03-04 08:11 ]

Sah-weet downloads. Thanks for sharing!

Vic, Thanks again. The MP3's sound nice and clean.

I always look forward to these gifts from Vic. Thanks again!!

M
Moki posted on Tue, Dec 28, 2004 1:09 PM

Mahalo for sharing!!
Happy Holidays.

Thanks for sharing with us, Vic. That's one of my favorite album covers. The font is just perfect too.

There's some interesting Michel Legrand
soundtrack music that some of you exotica
fans may like....you can find it by
visiting our friends at "bellybongo.com"
and following the link to "space debris"...
not exactly tiki exotica...but pretty
nice nonetheless.
Thanks Vic...really enjoyed your latest gift!

[ Edited by: congatiki on 2004-12-29 10:56 ]

K

Say Vic,

I hate to ask you to relink something...

I love that Leo Addeo album you put up, but for some reason "Third Man Theme" and "Harbor Lights" are screwed up tracks for me. I have no idea why. They seem to just end abruptly when played or cut off half way through. Don't suppose you might repost those two tracks?

Thanks for all the great stuff, I appreciate it!

Ahu

Pages: 1 2 71 replies