Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

T.V. Pow! and Creature Features

Pages: 1 17 replies

In a fit a nastolga I came across this link http://www.tvparty.com/lostSF.html

It should appeal to the lucky people that grew up in the Bay Area in the 60's - 70's and were allowed to watch tv.

I used to rush home to catch T.V Pow! in the afternoon. It was great.
Pow, pow, pow, pow, pow, pow, pow, pow, pow,pow, pow, pow, pow, pow, pow, pow, pow, pow, pow, pow, pow, pow, pow, pow, pow, pow, pow, pow, pow...

Anyone remember "Barney" from KTVU 2 in San Fran? Not the Purple Dinosaur, but a peanut-shaped puppet?

A

I remember two puppets, but don't remember their names. One was a sort of wrinkly bulldog. The other was some kind of jackass, er, maybe horse or mule, which was white with big nostrils and wearing a sea captain's hat if I'm remembering right. Both voiced by Pat McCormick, aka Mr. Dialing-for-dollars.

-Randy

M

On 2004-01-16 15:37, aquarj wrote:
I remember two puppets, but don't remember their names. One was a sort of wrinkly bulldog. The other was some kind of jackass, er, maybe horse or mule, which was white with big nostrils and wearing a sea captain's hat if I'm remembering right. Both voiced by Pat McCormick, aka Mr. Dialing-for-dollars.

-Randy

I thought the bulldog wore the hat. But otherwise, yep, that's it.

Now- how about Buster & Me! Remember that?

No I'm pretty sure that the horse wore the hat. I think the bulldog had a sweater, or something bulldogish like that. I can't remember the name of the bits but they were little shorts, kinda like PSA's for kids with a little moral lesson. I liked the one where the dog was being chased by a "herd" of bees and the horse asked if he'd "heard" of bees...
I digress.
Pat McCormick was a man ahead of his time...
:tiki:

Charley and Humphrey. I remember almost verbatim the PSA about "borrowing without asking is stealing." and the Humphrey (bulldog) stating, "...and I have to pokes yous in the nose to show yous I am right"
as he give the horse a paw in the eye.

That's my brother Buster. Buster and me. I watched it a lot, but never really did like it. Pretty creepy really. It was the only thing on at 6:00am on Sunday. That, Big Blue Marble and Viva Alegre.

Anyone back in NY/NJ remember the "Uncle Floyd Show"?

THE RAMONES!

On 2004-01-16 16:02, Sam Gambino wrote:
I remember The Ghoul and Sir Graves Ghastly in Detroit...

CLASSICS !!! I used to watch them all the time. Remember "Bill Kennedy At The Movies"?
I used to live down the street from him.

-Z

On 2004-01-16 21:07, Feelin' Zombified wrote:

CLASSICS !!! I used to watch them all the time. Remember "Bill Kennedy At The Movies"?
I used to live down the street from him.

-Z

I sure do! I used to like being home sick from school to watch Bill Kennedy. I remember how he used to have to stretch an average movie over 2 days to accommodate all of the time he'd spend on movie trivia and commentary.

http://www.samgambino.com

T

Oh Ya, I remember Creature Features. It used to scare the hell out of us kids back then--today's kids would just smirk at those flicks. I grew up in San Jose in the early to mid 70's--it was a great time to be there..I remmeber "Dialing for Dollars" too. I now live in the lower deserts of southern California where life is slower paced...I do miss my Bay Area days though... does anyone recall listening to radio AM KLIV in San Jose and KFRC in San Fran? Rock and Roll, baby, Rock and Roll....! WHat happened to those Stations???

Hey thegarz,
I'm not too sure about KLIV but KFRC is still going as one of the "Oldies" stations. Oh, remember cutting up KFRC bumper stickers and using them to spell out "new" words... or KOME stickers. Rock on!
Aloha,
:tiki:

M

My friend's big brother had his ENTIRE bedroom wallpapered with KOME stickers. In all kinds of funky patterns. It must have taken years.

That room must have smelled like plastic when it got warm.

We used to get stacks of them from 7/11 and cut and paste pieces of one sticker onto another creating new words while preserving the arrow and "our decal". I made one that said "Jim"!

[ Edited by: Primo Kimo on 2004-01-18 18:38 ]

On 2004-01-18 18:05, martiki wrote:
My friend's big brother had his ENTIRE bedroom wallpapered with KOME stickers. In all kinds of funky patterns. It must have taken years.

I had a friend who worked on KOME in the long ago & far away. KOME had the classic tag line: "Don't touch that dial, it has KOME on it!"

On 2004-01-16 20:54, Atomic Cocktail wrote:
Anyone back in NY/NJ remember the "Uncle Floyd Show"?

THE RAMONES!

I remember getting it on our TV on Staten Island only occasionally since we lived on the wrong side of a hill. Uncle Floyd & Oogie the puppet. I can remember him singing "Deep in the Heart of Jersey," was he wearing a cowboy outfit? It's been twenty-mumble years & I can't remember it too clearly. I remember the cameramen always cracking up in the background @ Uncle Floyds jokes.

T

Hi Tiki Royale--
Thanxs for the info...glad to hear that KFRC is still around....man, it's been 26 yrs that I left the Bay Area...I guess you really can't go home again...place is overgrown with people and cars, cars, cars....thanks for the fond memories....maybe I will find KFRC on an Internet link....
Tiki on, dudes!

Pages: 1 17 replies