Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Nitpicking. (or, Kris Kristofferson is a dirty stinker)

Pages: 1 6 replies

So I'm flipping thru channels last night and I come across the Stars and/or Encore True Stories channel. I saw this painfully acted, made for TV mini-series called BLOOD & ORCHIDS (I think) that tells the story of a 1937 crime in Hawaii. There's a scene where Kris is having a Mai Tai and invites his love interest to have one as well. They actually make a big deal about it, "They call this the Mai Tai, I'm usually a whiskey drinker but, blah blah" etc, etc....

And then it hits me, the Mai Tai was invented in 1944 (Vic said so) there by making Mr. Kristofferson a dirty stinker in Trader Vics' book.

ah crap, I guess this is evidence of my pure geekdom. Much like in The Simpsons when Homer (the voice of cartoon dog "Poochie") is asked by the Springfield nerds about inconsistancies in Itchy & Scratchys' plotlines.

Ah Crap! I'm making it even worse by making Simpsons references. Someone please help me. I'll quit rambling now.

anyway, incorrect representation of Tiki on TV or other media.

Discuss...

-Z

T

I was watching this fiarly new movie called "Dinner Rush" on the Independent Film Channel. It's about this Italian Restaurant and bookmaker joint. The bartender at the restaurant was very annoying. He thought he was real smart so he would have his customers pull out a $5 bill and ask him a question. If he knew the answer he would keep the 5 bucks. So, someone asks him where the Mai Tai was invented. He answers "in New York" and takes the bill! The screenwriter obviously doesn't know his cocktail history!

He is a dirty stinker. I'm tellin Homer!

I have been doing some extra-particularly intensive research about Easter Island lately for a new project I am working on.

Just discovered, like last week, that Kris had a 1978 LP called "Easter Island".

The cover had his face against a background of clouds; no EI imagery. The title track has a few lines that vaguely reference the island, but nothing much.

But, given this, and that movie, perhaps Kris was a Tiki-boy in the 70's?

Who knew?

I found Kris' Easter Island record at a Goodwill yesterday. The back cover has a photo of 4 moai on an ahu. Right behind the K.K. record was Jimmy Buffett's Volcano LP. (I bought the former but not the latter).

L

"And then it hits me, the Mai Tai was invented in 1944 (Vic said so) there by making Mr. Kristofferson a dirty stinker in Trader Vics' book. "

ya think Kris would know better; he mainly resides in Hawaii...

On 2004-05-21 17:43, Sweet Daddy Tiki wrote:
I found Kris' Easter Island record at a Goodwill yesterday. The back cover has a photo of 4 moai on an ahu.

See?

That's what I get for only looking at the front cover (on-line)!

Now I gots to go find a copy of this platter from Big Stone Head!

Pages: 1 6 replies