Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Kwikeeze to clean mugs

Pages: 1 4 replies

i have had very good results cleaning unwanted residue off of mugs with this product. i was playing around with stripping the enamel paint off of these westwoods that someone had tried to cover up blemishes with. i would rather have a chip exposed than a poorly matched, overpainted cover up. letting the area that was painted sit in a tupperware tray with the kwikeeze for 5 minutes disolved the old enamel, and with a brush even the hardest parts came off easily. it turns out that most of the spots were not chips, they had just covered up manufacturer flaws where glaze was too thin or had not taken. next i took it to a few other mugs that 99% alcohol did little on. i am speaking of old adhesives from flea market tags, some general nasty, and oil pencil markings from the goodwill. it removed all of these things.
the good news is that it is mild enough to not craze glass or glaze, and it is water washable. i used a little dishwashing soap, and it left no residue. the thing to definitely watch for are restraunt logo decals, overlustres, non glazed covered colored areas and overenamels. you will remove these if you are not careful. i also tried to avoid the exposed foot, though it did not do any harm, because of its porosity it will absorb the kwikeeze. if this happens you will need to let the solvent flash off, especially if you intend to drink out of it soon.
it is available at art stores and hardware stores in the paint section. definitely test a spot first.

to remove unwanted sticker residue and unproperly washed mugs I personaly remove it with either "Goof Off" or "Goo Gone". It's a citrus baised cleaner. I use a citrus cleaner that's 10x stronger, i get it at work. I dip a q-tip in and it's enough for rubbing the gunk off. I then clean it with windex to null the citrus from possibly eating away the enamel from sitting there for years.

I've used the goo gone method as well as other citrus based glue removers with great sucess, on everything from records (vinyl) to book covers. I found that you have to be careful not to get one that is a heavy chemical remover. The citrus ones worked the best. That and you dont need a resperator to use them!
Later
JAy

I swear by Goof off & Goo gone. Before I discovered those products I was using WD40 and lighter fluid (not nearly as efficient...or safe).

forgot about the citrus based products, i have used gojo(without pumice) and pax remover for other things. seems like there are more than one good way to skin a tiki. i will say for oil pencil, the kwikeeze can not be beat. i tried gojo on oil pencil on a non tiki related statue and it did not completely eradicate the black marking.

Pages: 1 4 replies