Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

2 Unknown (to me) Tiki Mugs, Any Information Anyone?

Pages: 1 6 replies

Hello,
I found these 2 tiki related items recently and was looking around and couldn't find any pictures of them. Does anyone have any information for me or have you seen these before?
The first is a cannibal decanter that Mrs. Lava found, similar to some decanter sets I have seen but this looks different. Its apparently a dead cannibal head and has a leather strap so you can hang it on the wall! Nice thick ceramic with black matte paint and some gloss details. Has cork stopper and decal on the back that says it is Liqueur, product of Italy and was imported by Liqueur Specialties of So. San Francisco. I like cannibal items so I was stoked that Mary found it!

Next is a mug that looks like a budget Steve Crane but could just be a souvenir of Canada. Only marking is a "Japan" stamp on the bottom. Its decidedly totem pole-esque in its red clay ceramic brown finish and the paint colors but it looks a bit tiki-ish to me. I am not very picky when it comes to definitions of whether its tiki or not but I would just like to know if anyone has seen this or has any reaction.

Thanks all!

[ Edited by: Larry Lava on 2004-01-18 22:32 ]

Yeah, that's (the 2nd mug) Pacific Northwest First -Nations.
I've seen a lot of that mug up around here.

There's also salt and pepper shakers in this style which often get refered to as "Tiki".

It is interesting to note the similarities between Polynesian and First Nations carvings...

Thanks. I figured it must be just a Canadian mug but I haven't seen it around CA before. Since it wasn't marked I just wanted to be sure. Sorry if its a common item in other parts. So if anyone knows about the decanter that would be great.

I have seen the cannibal decantor in 2 different sizes and I have a small mug that looks just like it. It must have been some sort of set.

Erich

M

I've seen that decanter set several times and I believe it originally came with 2 shot glasses that complete the set...here's a pic:

As for the mug...I've seen it marked "Victoria Ceramics". There are quite a few other pieces made in that same style. That style always struck me as more of an Indian Totem imagery. I like both pieces though...nice find!

ModMana :drink:

here is a pic of the smaller decantor. It is about 4 inches tall, actually, it almost the same height as the mugs. Wonder what exactly came in the set, or if it was sold piece by piece.

Erich

A

Brallata Demi Sec was the liquer in this decanter.

Pages: 1 6 replies