Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

New Tiki Shag Print

Pages: 1 16 replies

Shagmart has a new tiki print up. I think I might pick it up because it has a siamese cat in a mug, which just makes me happy.

http://shagmart.com/pages/prbigm.html?oid=15348f

I

Christ almighty. Shag craps these prints out faster than Jim Varney spat out his "Ernest P. Worrell" movies.

R.I.P. Jim Varney

So I was going to buy it and then I saw the awesome Greek mythology print that's coming down the pipe and thought it might be a much cooler purchase, and as everyone is aware, Greek is always better.

-g-

K

Sold out!

I

Sold out? Don't worry. Shag will have yet another print for sale really soon. Goofy tiki here, pokey-breasted chick there, maybe throw in a monkey this time... maybe a scooter or two and... and bang! You'll get another chance to drop $350!

B

[ Edited by: BaronV 2005-07-19 17:02 ]

Well, seeing as I can't afford a sold out woman on tiki print, and I love the tiki mugs shag does in his paintings, and the cats, I'll take what I can get. $125 is a nice price for a print I like, even if it is a regurgitation of a former painting.
No one who comes to my house even has the foggiest idea of who Josh Agle is, or what tiki is. I see it as my duty to educate, inebriate, and fornicate. I mean spread aloha throughout the north west. This makes me happy too, so I do it! If my happiness rubs off on others, then my work here is done. Mass production can sometimes be a good thing. Now, how do I get my hands on one of those new Enchanted Tiki Room shirts?

M

On 2004-01-22 12:15, Tikiwahine wrote:

I see it as my duty to educate, inebriate, and fornicate.

Wow. Um...can I come over? Your house sounds like a fun place.

:wink:

Of COURSE! Join in the debauchery! Muhahaha!

As long as you promise not to slag my shag :wink:

S

Pardon my ignorance, but does it look to anyone like many Shag prints have the same pics in them just mixed up? Like cut and pasted on a computer? This girl with that tiki, etc? I dig it anyway, but I think I'm noticing some patterns.

That makes me think...

Is a print still a print if there is no original painting?

A

I don't get the point of these posts that complain about too much Shag merch. Just what exactly is the problem? Oh boo-hoo, it's another product that YOU DON'T HAVE TO BUY OR EVEN EVER LOOK AT! Oh the pain and angst! What if the prints were $3500 each - what difference does that make to someone who doesn't like them anyway?

Personally, I'm much more interested in hearing about what people like than what they don't. Even negative comments carry much more weight if they're expressed with justification (eg, a bar review). But plain old disparagement, whether it's because of envy or bitterness or sanctimony or whatever, still comes off as just plain old disparagement.

Over the years Shag has kept a consistent style, and the only changes have been the level of his success and refinement of his technique. I've liked him all along, and don't personally get insulted when someone says Shag is now too mainstream or whatever, because it's probably just one of many areas where our tastes differ. But I'm still perplexed by the need to announce this kind of resentment on TC.

-Randy

S
SES posted on Fri, Jan 23, 2004 8:21 PM

I love Shag!

If Shag were a woman that looked like Anna
Kournikova, I would shag him!

I bought the Big Mug print, for I love most things Shag. I just wish they'd make a print to fit a regular size frame. The prints are more affordable than the custom frame that you have to buy afterwards. Granted, the interesting sizes do look cooler.

S

I wasn't complaining, just curious. I dig it all just the same.

Pages: 1 16 replies