Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Please help me identify this bowl

Pages: 1 6 replies

Here is a couple of pictures of a bowl that I have. It's old, and has some slight crazing. The weird part is that the feet were never painted. They are still a rough white texture. There are no markings anywhere.

Anyone know anything about it?

Thanks
Erich

It looks like an Orchids style bowl to me- although the glaze isnt very orchids-like. I have a few non-orchids varieties of that style of bowl (the Kon Tiki/Trader Vic style figure) that differ slightly in the appearance of the figure (some are fatter, some are cruder, etc)

Its possible it was a hobby-made bowl- usually you can tell this by excessive warpage of the bowl to where it looks like it got jiggled before firing.

Anyway the reason the feet arent painted is because they have to leave the parts that touch the kiln unglazed, or it will glaze itself to the kiln shelf during firing.

C

Is that gold color? Looks very modern if it is, not that I know anything about vintage tiki yet. If it is vintage, yowsa.

K

Here is a bowl I just won off ebay for 9.99 that looks just like it. I was wondering the same thing. No markings

hey, those bowls look very similar. Mine just looks like it has more of the darker paint. Same style though.

Erich

The color on my bowl is more yellow/tan than gold. I think the camera flash made it look like a bright gold.

[ Edited by: ErichTroudt on 2004-01-21 01:14 ]

M

I agree with fatuhiva- that most definitely looks like a hobbyist project. Cool colors!

F

well.. im not saying it IS a hobby bowl.. just that it could be.

Either way its most likely no older than sometime in the 70's..

usually hobby items have somebody's name scrawled in them somewhere- w/o that i might have to lean towards it being a restaurant piece.. you see this type of bowl in alot of menus, so it could have come from pretty much anywhere

Pages: 1 6 replies