Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Schoontiki Mug

Pages: 1 17 replies

Can anybody tell me some info / history on this mug?

[ Edited by: atomicchick 2005-07-31 23:11 ]

From what I understand, this mug was created by an art student for a private party in New York in 2001.... there used to be a web page with pics from the party, guests drinking from the mugs, but it is long gone. I believe there were less than 50 made. Great find if you're lucky enough to come across one.

bottom reads: schoontiki made exclusively for The Enchanted Luau 04-01 Brooklyn, NY

[ Edited by: Traderpup on 2004-01-21 09:43 ]

A

I know a few TCers who have this mug. Schoon is a Dutch term meaning clean, it represents an artistic principle of pure, uncluttered design. I read in an Ebay auction that this mug was made for a private function. The mug had won a contest at an art school for creating an object that was "Schoon". Thats what the auction said anyway.
Mahalo,
Al

[ Edited by: Alnshely on 2004-01-21 09:47 ]

I think this mug is pretty groovy! If anybody has one they would like to trade, I have a tall Shag Rotango to trade for it.

I remember when the person that produced these mugs had them up for auction on ebay. I think she sold about 4 or 5 of them. The face is supposed to be a self-portrait, if I'm not mistaken.

On 2004-01-21 11:14, tikigreg wrote:
I remember when the person that produced these mugs had them up for auction on ebay. I think she sold about 4 or 5 of them. The face is supposed to be a self-portrait, if I'm not mistaken.

TG is right. We actually were able to win 3 of these on ebay (this was a couple of years ago), 1 we kept, and the other 2 went to some very close friends for their collections. The Gal said it was a self-portrait and that it was created as a part of her final thesis. There was one on ebay a while back that went for double what we purchased ours for.

I also have either a green or yellow Shag Mondo tiki mug to trade for it. :)

T

sometimes tthings are so ugly that their cute. Or soso ugly that they are prized for their bazaarness

T

They also make fantastic cucumber holders!

On 2005-07-31 06:49, tikifish wrote:

If I wasn't mistaken Fish, it looks like your admiring that cucumber a lot more than the mug. :)

On 2005-07-31 12:19, Unga Bunga wrote:

On 2005-07-31 06:49, tikifish wrote:

If I wasn't mistaken Fish, it looks like your admiring that cucumber a lot more than the mug. :)

I think she mught have a thing for cling wrap...

FA

I think just because a woman has a large piece of produce no one should question her intentions for how she plans to spend quality time with her LARGE green vegtable, I mean she could be some kind of vegan, I heard that some will not let ANY meat near their bodies, wink wink. Beauty of a mug, and one heck of a cuc, hope what ever salad that got tossed had the pleasure of that cucs being in the mix.

T

I had forgotten about the Tiki Toe Torches.... I wonder if any of those were for sale?

D

Well,hats off to a gal that's practicing safe produce.

wait. are there two strings on the schoon tiki? here is where I psoted some more background info: http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=9588&forum=5&hilite=schoon

T

Thanks for the fantastic info and clarifications. Many members will be thrilled you joined TC and added to the thread. Aloha!

I wonder what one would go for on ebay nowadays.....

Pages: 1 17 replies