Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Who is Kevin D on Queer Eye?

Pages: 1 37 replies

O
Otto posted on Fri, Jan 23, 2004 12:57 PM

Apparently there is a Kevin D who is a lover of Lounge and Tiki culture who will be [edited by martiki 2/24/04 to avoid further misunderstandings] on QE on Feb 24.

Most likely the guy lives in the greater New York area as that is where the show is based

Kevin are you out there?
Does anyone know Kevin?

[ Edited by: martiki on 2004-02-24 15:18 ]

This is him.

Hi Kevin,
Welcome to TC! (sorry about that "broken link".)

[edited to fix broken link -martiki 2/24]

[ Edited by: martiki on 2004-02-24 15:20 ]

[ Edited by: Unga Bunga on 2004-02-25 12:36 ]

K
kwdjr posted on Tue, Feb 24, 2004 8:26 AM

Hi Otto,
i'm Kevin from Queer Eye. tried to contact you yesterday.
How's it going?
You can reach me at
[email protected]

You poor, sorry bastard!

I mean, um, so how was that experience for you?

-Z

D

yes, welcome!

from link above: "his dusty, over-cluttered [living accomodations] is both an allergist's nightmare and a minor fire hazard." - doesn't this describe all of our places? :) j$

Kon: i think that term doen't have any true sexual content, it's just a more visceral version of the term meaning something like "get raked over the coals" or "get the shite kicked out of..."

[ Edited by: Johnny Dollar on 2004-02-24 09:25 ]

K
kwdjr posted on Tue, Feb 24, 2004 9:26 AM

Hello everyone and thanks for the greeting!

It was the BEST experience of my life!! SO groovy! WAIT until you see what they did to my place- I can't give it away, (legally, or I'll get sued and they will take away my fake tan), but it's unbelieveable!

Kdjr

Kon: i think that term doen't have any true sexual content, it's just a more visceral version of the term meaning something like "get raked over the coals" or "get the shite kicked out of..."

[img]

Apologies to Feelin Zombified & all - comment retracted

[ Edited by: Kon-Hemsby on 2004-02-24 09:43 ]

On 2004-02-24 09:04, Kon-Hemsby wrote:

Why the homophobia?

I don't think it's homophobia, just being protective of Tiki. Anybody remember this thread:

https://tikicentral.com/viewtopic-new.php?topic=5701&forum=1

on a related topic, anyone see Straight Plan For The Gay Man last night on Comedy Central?

-Z

everyone all together: Grunt. Scratch. Belch. Repeat.

OK, NOW is when I wish to tiki I had cable!!!!!!!!!

Kevin, welcome to Tiki Central! We eagerly await you and your apartment's transformation! (I'm crossing my fingers that they keep a swank lounge thing going for you. So when's the Tiki Central housewarming party?)

Of course, "...dusty, over-cluttered [living accomodations] is both an allergist's nightmare and a minor fire hazard" DOES describe my place, too! Do they have a show "Dusting Whirlwind for the Straight Girlfriend"?

Did Ted massacre a Mai Tai?

On 2004-02-24 09:52, Formikahini wrote:
(snip)

Of course, "...dusty, over-cluttered [living accomodations] is both an allergist's nightmare and a minor fire hazard" DOES describe my place, too! Do they have a show "Dusting Whirlwind for the Straight Girlfriend"?

hey formikahini,just do like donna reed did, put on your best poufy dress, pearls, and a small apron, and the house practially dusts itself! :P teehee j$

K

I PROMISE that NO ONE reading this will be disapointed with what the Fab 5 did to my abode! I was so excited I almost vomited, (in a good way)!

I hope the toilet bowl had that cleaner in it that turns the water into a Blue Hawaii. I use that in my Enchanted Pee Pee room

On tonights episode even!!! I always get a good laugh out of that show...does anyone else think the one guy looks a bit like Sal Mineo?

Matt

On 2004-02-24 10:03, Johnny Dollar wrote:
your best poufy dress

another fine phrase that becomes offensive through the atlantic looking glass.

On 2004-02-24 11:54, atomictonytiki wrote:

your best poufy dress

hee hee... hadn;t thought of that... how about

shag rug?
buying a ginger beer?
git outta here?
out-of-bounder?

j$

don't forget, the "lost in translation" goes both ways:

ever smoke a fag in the loo?

-Z

M

Whoa! We are getting off track here- Kevin is in the house! Mahalo and welcome to Tiki Central. Personally, I'm really looking forward to seeing the episode. Glad to hear it was a good experience- I'm a big fan of the show. I trust Ted will do right by the Mai Tai. He did some nice cocktail work a few episodes ago, even if the guy they were helping screwed it all up.

Stick around Kevin- there's some cool TC people in Manhattan who I'm sure would be glad to show you a good time at the NYC places. Plus, you're bound to find a world of information here about this that and the other.

Aloha!

[ps - I'm going to edit Otto's original post a bit to avoid any further misunderstandings]

Yeah, Go Brooklyn!

W

martiki wrote:
(Ted) did some nice cocktail work a few episodes ago, even if the guy they were helping screwed it all up.

Was that the geeky kid who dropped the super swell vintage cocktail shaker (mint condition, as in never had been used before) and smashed it to bits on his kitchen floor? My jaw literally dropped open in shock and I had to call a cocktail afficianado friend (in another time zone, even) and relate the horror I had witnessed.

Some people should just be given a case of Zima and a stack of plastic cups.

H

Wasn't that sad? The poor fellow was appropriately devastated at having broken it. I felt so bad for him, I almost cried a little.

No cable here now that I'm no longer at Dr. Z's -- can someone recap the tiki bits?

Welcome to the gang, Kevin! I can also vouch for the hospitality of the New York tikiphiles -- they're swell! Be sure to connect with them for a Monday night at Otto's (keep an eye on the Tiki Events forum).

Kevin,
Wow, much better than I would have thought.
very cool room, I love the walls.
Congrats on your engagement. just one question though, what did they do with all the Stuff?

-Z

J
JTD posted on Wed, Feb 25, 2004 6:06 AM

Kevin,
Great, great show! Glad it turned out so well, and the room was nice too! Keep it tiki. Honeymoon at the Hukilau.

JTD

On 2004-02-24 12:19, Feelin' Zombified wrote:
don't forget, the "lost in translation" goes both ways:

ever smoke a fag in the loo?

-Z

I once got taken by a friend to a gay bar in S.F. and got into trouble when i asked the barman "were they any fags behind the bar? because i couldn't find a machine that sold any".

S

Loved the wallpaper on the show and the bamboo wall covering.

As for the "fag" thing...

I was at a bar once when a girl from the UK asked in a very slurred voice "You 'av a fag?" Which sounded to me like "You're a fag?" To which I said "No, I'm not gay." So she asked again. And this went on for a while... "No no, a fag, a cigarette. I wasn't calling you a puff." I was confused...

More craziness from those wacky Brits

http://www.mrbrainsfaggots.com/faggot_family.htm

M

I love the faggot family! I haven't seen that website in a while. It's an old favourite.

I once got in trouble in a british pub for ordering two pints with my fingers raised in a v and the back of my hand facing the barkeep. Mistakes were made.

Damn! Off track!

Still there, Kevin?

I liked the bedrooms wallpaper too! Kevin your rotating bar is very cool, glad they used it! Did they stock it to? If so, that alone would have been woth all the abuse you went thru :P

Welcome to TC Kevin - and Congratulations on the new look and the ENGAGEMENT!! I cried! I always cry during the reveal on QE, though. They did a great job, and you and Matilda are very cute! I love the QE guys, and I love the show, the best part is they really respect what's important to the straight guy, and even though they are brutal at the beginning they aren't really judgmental about it! PLUS - mr. pineapple learns a lot from them, for instance after one show where they took the SG to Bumble and Bumble, a fancy salon in NY, and I made a big fuss about how great the chichi product is, he got me some for Christmas!
I suggest you and Matilda come out to the TIKI OASIS in Palm Springs for your wedding! We got married there last year and it was a blast!
Good luck, and again, congratulations!
mrs. pineapple

On 2004-02-24 12:14, Johnny Dollar wrote:

On 2004-02-24 11:54, atomictonytiki wrote:

your best poufy dress

hee hee... hadn;t thought of that... how about

shag rug?
buying a ginger beer?
git outta here?
out-of-bounder?

j$

...And how many do come in a fanny pack? :lol:

Kev's gotta post pictures of everything that didn't get shown on-air, you know how they hack those reality shows up in editing...

K
kwdjr posted on Wed, Feb 25, 2004 3:43 PM

Hey everyone! Thanks for the nice posts and kudos!! The Boom-boom Room is still clean and GROOVY! Have enjoyed much decadence in it! They don't really throw everything away, they just put it in bags and i got to go thru it and keep want I want.
Thom LOVED my rotating bar and YES they stocked it with Mumm's champagne. He got me a couple more tiki mugs too, (the fu-manchu looking ones). I can't believe I have a Boom-boom Room! WOW!

I caught the show last night and thought it was fantastic. The only thing I was curious about was that the Fab 5 turned the pink room into a bedroom, the main living area into a tiki wonderland, but they never explained what happened to the old bedroom? Did they just dump all the junk in there?

-g-

Hey Kevin, would it be possible for you to take some pix of the walls in the Boom Boom Room? I want to show them to a friend for decorating ideas. They are perfect!

This episode of QEFTSG was aired in the UK yesterday. Great show.
Kevin..I loved the bar and the bamboo wall covering looked great.

Really loved the Betty Page/I dream of Genie picture of Matilda. You one lucky guy!

i saw it to, but only from half way in, bloody listing magazine said that episode was on next week now i'm going to have to check every time its repeted.

K
kwdjr posted on Wed, Apr 7, 2004 1:07 PM

Hello,
I posted but I think I fup duk as it didnt' appear.
Anyhootenany, sorry for the delay in responding and thank you for your posts! Yes, Matilda is a doll and I'm quite lucky, thank you!
Someone asked for pics. Email me and I can email pics of the Boom-boom Room to you soon.
Thanks all, (cheers if you're British).

KDjr

K
kwdjr posted on Fri, Apr 9, 2004 7:40 AM

Oops, I guess my email would help-
[email protected]

Pages: 1 37 replies