Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Pics from Chinese New Year @ Trader Vic's

Pages: 1 7 replies

Great to see everyone last night at Vic's. The dragons were awesome, the music relentless, the drinks strong.

TackyTiki: That neon sign we were talking about is The Ivy Room. Another popularone one is The 500 Club in the Mission. I've even seen that one on album covers.

Dragon:

Dragon & musical accompanists:

Two dragons take over the bar!

Rebecca & Martiki admiring dragon finery:

Mr. Smiley smiles it up with his dragon pal:

A startling, wild creature celebrates the new year...and a dragon:

Great pics! Sorry I missed y'all.
Aloha,
:tiki:

H

I wondered how they were going to fit a dragon in the bar... that has got to be the shortest dragon I've ever seen. It's darling, though, looks like it was a lot of fun. I wonder how much one of those dragon costumes goes for?

T

Yeah, the costumes looked to be pretty high quality. The eyes blinked, mouths opened and tails wagged. Sometimes the "dragoneer" in front would jump up on the legs of the crouching dragoneer in the back, acrobat-style, and make a vertical dragon about 11 feet tall. They even did this in the bar, which was kinda scary.

They started their performance in the covered valet/entrance area outside with firecrackers, then through the bar, then all throughout the restaurant and back through the bar. I'm sure some dining geezers in the main room were less than thrilled with the very loud drum & cymbals accompaniment.

O.k.-here's a thought that occured to me while waiting for my drinky at the bar at TV's last night-instead of a dragon/lion, how about a tiki! For International Tiki Day, Crawl, whatever. I envision a procession emerging from the Bamboo Bus with a drunk, weaving tiki, drums, cymbals, whatever, and the whole crowd of TCers following along headed to the nearest tiki bar. 'Hey, Tiki Central has arrived!'

:drink:

Tacky

M

I think the overall effect of the bus emptying out is very similar as it is!

Also, they're short because they're Lions, not dragons. Dragons are longer.

M

On 2004-01-23 18:46, martiki wrote:
they're short because they're Lions, not dragons. Dragons are longer.

I could tell those were lions because they are obviously not grand dragons! eeks!!!

On 2004-01-23 13:59, Tiki-bot wrote:
Sometimes the "dragoneer" in front would jump up on the legs of the crouching dragoneer in the back, acrobat-style, and through the bar.

That's going to be the name of my next band - The Dragoneers...or better yet The Sons of the Dragoneers!
Mahalo Tiki-bot

Pages: 1 7 replies