Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

$1.75 Bali Hai Mai-Tai, Christ on toast!!!

Pages: 1 29 replies

Thats right, the finest Mai-Tai south of LA for Buck and six bits. WHOO DOGGIES!!This is one fine Mai-Tai. Who's in for dinner?!!!
Mahalo,
Al

M

Too bad it's only one per person. :) Count us in...just name the date and time.

ModMana :drink:

[ Edited by: ModMana on 2004-01-24 23:43 ]

Were in and this time Im drinking diet coke.

They do mix a mean Mai Tai!

I can't remember ever having more than one. I've been told I did, but I don't remember.

Cheers!

Damn! Not going til March.....they should have that special for the whole year.

Better hurry...only one week left! I'd be up for next friday. I'll try to be more punctual this time than I was on T-day- after.

R
Rain posted on Mon, Jan 26, 2004 6:22 AM

it's too early, i can't remember -
is the bali hai near boston related in any way to the bali hai out west?

M

Friday works well for us...maybe 7:00 PM...how does that work for everyone else?. Saturday might be a problem.

On a related note, I found this really great old guide to San Diego with the Bali Hai on the cover. This thing is full of great stuff including tons of tiki references. I'll upload more when I have time. Here's the cover:

[ Edited by: modmana on 2004-01-26 15:30 ]

T

Hey, you guyz invitin' any newcomers??? I'd be willing to make the drive from El Centro if the scheduling works out...LMK!

Dave

M

Since you guys are making an event of it...guess where I'm moving this thread?

[ Edited by: martiki on 2004-01-26 16:00 ]

O

We're in too. Ric will try not to get a head start on the Mai Tai's that way he will remember the whole evening.
Let us know.
:drink:

mmmmm...Bali Hai Mai Tais.

T

Need some clarification: This Friday (1/30) or Next friday (2/6)? Fridays are good for me...7PM is great, just need to know the time...

DZ

On 2004-01-25 00:03, Geeky Tiki wrote:

"Mean" is right! When we were there after Thanksgiving, someone ordered the whole table a round (Ona Tiki - was that you?), but they were mixed really poorly, I'm sorry to say - they tasted like gasoline! Always appreciative of free booze, I drank mine down, but just barely. Then other folks started slipping their nasty concoctions my way, pawning them off on me to make it look like I was the one who couldn't/wouldn't drink his. (Ahhh... what are friends for, right?)

Now I know that the Bali Hai can mix a decent Mai Tai - I've had a few there in my time - but for your own sake, I'd check first to make sure that the $1.75 ones don't taste like nuclear waste before ordering a bunch!

I agree with Doc Z...
The 2 times I tried their Mai-Tai it was gasoline like...

Ran

Wish I could join in on the cheap-booze fest at the beautiful Bali Hai with you lovely Tiki Centralites. I will, however be in San Diego from Monday the 2nd until the 4th. If anyone survives $1.75 night, it'd be swell to meet up somewhere for more tippling. Feel free to e-mail me at [email protected] Hope to see some of you next week!

-Weird Unc

T

I prefer the Good Punch myself.

M

On 2004-01-27 11:48, thegarz wrote:
Need some clarification: This Friday (1/30) or Next friday (2/6)? Fridays are good for me...7PM is great, just need to know the time...

The ad that Al posted says the special is only running in January so it has to be this week or else...pay full price. I don't mind paying full price but they really do taste better when you pay less.

O

Yep, the round of "gasoline Mai Tai's" came from us. Figured that was the best way to introduce ourselves. Although the waiter was pretty entertained when we told him that the table had to own up to their TC names before he could hand over the drinks. I think Tiki Bong & Humuhumu were his favorites.

T

On 2004-01-27 17:15, OnaTiki wrote:
Yep, the round of "gasoline Mai Tai's" came from us. Figured that was the best way to introduce ourselves.

I can't think of a better way. I already had 2 good Mai Tais at Tom Ham's happy hour, and a Goof Punch at the Bali Hai so the "gasoline" Mai Tai went down easy! Thanks!

Dale and I won't be joinning you guys at the Bali Hai this time, but you're more than welcome to come by our place before or after for even cheaper drinks (free).
E-mail me if you plan on coming (so I know how many lemons/limes/juices to get).

Ran

O

Is this really happening? Who's taking head count and making reservations? 7:00 this Friday works for us. Will this be drinks only or dinner and drinks?
Ran, thanks for the invite. We'll PM you.

On 2004-01-27 13:31, Doctor Z wrote:

On 2004-01-25 00:03, Geeky Tiki wrote:

"Mean" is right! When we were there after Thanksgiving, someone ordered the whole table a round (Ona Tiki - was that you?), but they were mixed really poorly, I'm sorry to say - they tasted like gasoline!

Make mine premium unleaded please...with a twist.

M

Not sure we'll be able to make this after all. Mrs. ModMana has relatives coming into town Friday morning. Unfortunately they're not the type that we can just drag along with us. We'll do our best to be there but chances are only about 50/50 right now. Either way, we hope to see all the San Diego TCers again very soon.

M

Disregard my last post. After some deliberation, we decided that we will be there after all (sorry to go back and forth like that). It's been a tough couple of weeks and we could really use a good strong Mai Tai. Since no one expressed any objection, I'm assuming that Friday 1/30 (tonight) at 7PM is OK. Not sure how many others are committed but we'll be there (even if it's just us). I'd be happy to make a reservation if I could get an accurate head count, or we could just show up and see what happens. Here's the list as it looks from previous posts:

Alnshely?
Monkeyman
Shipwreckjoey
thegarz
Onatiki
Bamboo Bob?
ModMana
Any Others?

Weird Unc, sorry you can't make it. We'd love to hang out but unfortunately we're out of town all next week. Enjoy SD!

Ran & Dale, I hope we'll see you again next time.

O

We're in! Ran we'll see you after.

I will be dining in downtown with my family but would like to stop by and share a mai tai with you all between 7 and 8.

If you need to coordinate schedules call me on my mobile 760-458-3687

A family birthday dinner came up (postponed from yesterday) so I'm gonna have to pass on Bali Hai tonite, but will make it by Ran's later. Maybe we'll catch you there.

Have fun in the Bali Hai, we'll be expecting anyone who's coming at around 9:00 pm.
Mod-Mana & Monkeyman, feel free to join in if you can and want to. Phone number is 619-295-3932.

Ran

M

Well, there was a lighter than expected turnout for this "event". However, the OnaTikis did join up with us for a most excellent evening of drinks and dining. Thanks again you two for a fun night. We were half looking over our shoulders a good part of the evening expecting to see more TCers straggling in. I hope we didn't miss anyone. Oh, the $1.75 MaiTais were better than I remembered and well worth the price! This event was extremely loosely organized and I suppose that explains the low show (sorry about that). We'll do better next time...cheers!

Pages: 1 29 replies