Tiki Central / California Events

SHAG-TIKI-SHAG-TIKI

Pages: 1 23 replies

T

August 30 ­ October 4, 2002
SOPHISTICATED MISFITS: Fifteen Years of Shag
BREA MUSEUM
Brea, California
Exhibition Opening: Friday, August 30, 2002, from 7 to 9 p.m.

I know I am going.

Anybody else?

S

Oh yea!

Aloha,

Uncle Arty

Sounds good, we're in.
Al

Although I will miss the opening, I will be there in spirit: Yesterday I selected some artifacts from my collection for the show that will be displayed under the theme "Objects that inspired SHAG". Mostly Tiki, a few modern examples of the kind of cool stuff that inhabits SHAG paintings.

T

But I guarantee you will not have a lady with a bird in her hair in your collection.

Damn, if only I was more follicularily blessed, I would DO that bird-in-the-hair-thing. That's beyond cool.

Will make it.......(Angelo and Alison)

I love to be with my TC peeps whenever possible. I'm in.

Attn: all who were at the Gathering. Bring Sven with you!! He Will be there in spirit!!
aloooooooHA!

Is everybody ready to SHAG?
Remember between this Friday and TIKI Farm there is nothing happening in SoCal, tikiesk that is.
Or did you foreget to invite me?

I noticed that, too. No tiki events for a freakin month!

Have a good time tonight everyone, we cant make it. Tonight is my dad's B-day so The Lady and I are going over to celebrate.

I will be there with my gal pal flora!

T

Hey all
I was the first one in the door last night with only about 35-40 folks behind me. When I turned around, there must have been 200-250+. Being the claustraphobe that I am, I had to make a quick exit-stage left. So sorry to have to bail like that as Bax & Sara had just met Al & Shelly at the door. Shelly, you looked becoming in blue. Exibit was great, tunes were rockin, room was a little cozy. I don't think they were expecting the turn out to be so large. Hope the rest of yall had a great time.

Trustar

So besides being crowded, how was it? Was there any room to view the paintings? And how were my artifacts displayed that I loaned them? Looking good?

BB

It was very crowded and hard to view the art! I'm going back to see it on a one on one basis. Big Bro, your collection rocked out next to the surf band. Actually, it was in the middle of the gallery. Shag must be beat from signing and standinng all night. All in all it was a nice show for him to us. Mahalo to Shag, the people and Brea.
p.s. the cop I was talking to said he has never seen that many people Ever at the gallery.

T

BigBro, It was like the 6 shows I have been to all rolled up into one. Your, "how it all got started", artifacts were a perfect companion. Seeing all the originals was simply amazing. Seeing the transition from the early works to now. Like going from your brownie camera to a new digital. The only pieces that you could not see real well were behind the Shag line, or the store line or behind the band. It did get a little tight.
If Josh did not want to think that people liked his works before (modesty wise) he has no choice now!

A

That Brea Gallery was real nice. a very new, modern and good looking venue. The place was packed and there was a good deal of shag art.
BigBroTiki had loaned some of his collection and it was displayed in little plexiglass boxes, very cool.

Sophisticated Misfits

Shelley, Don and Cherry Capri

Sven's Tiki stuff

Uncle Arty

Baxdog's Tat

SmogBreather, BaxDog

Cool Shoes

Shag Stingray

Gallery Ladies

[ Edited by: alnshely on 2002-09-02 12:13 ]

This event was great, just too many people all up in the Cheerrios. I loved the art and was trying to study the artifacts in the glass case, but decided to grab something to drink and head outside. That was where the real show was. King Kukulele was messing with folks and having a ball. You gotta love that guy. Then Bamboo Ben and King Kuku go and heckle the press, but in a nice way with 9 inch fangs. The best was seeing King Kuku holding Otto's baby. I never would have imagined that King kuku had a soft spot for kids. I think he was just trying to bum a ride. Rumor has it that King Kuku had his international rally car on two wheels the whole way over to the gallery after it lost a wheel. I hope the vert is ok now Danny.

[ Edited by: thechikitiki on 2002-09-02 21:38 ]

[ Edited by: thechikitiki on 2002-09-03 20:11 ]

[ Edited by: thechikitiki on 2002-09-04 14:42 ]

S

Great pics, Al.

An amazing show and an incredible body of work!

Holden said it best -- "I think someday we'll look back and be happy to say that we 'were there' as I'm thinking that particular Shag show will go down in history!"

Aloha,

Uncle Arty

I particularly enjoyed hanging with Ben... and the cop... while Ben and I were pounding beers! Billy Shire (Soap Plant Whacko/La Luz de Jesus) should be commended for ultimately being an integral part of recognizing the talent and starting the craze that has brought Shag to us - Shag's work stands alone by itself but Billy is a guy who is known to recognize a lot of good talent first. Sorry I burned out early at the Continental but I was on day 5 of a nasty summer cold! Nice to see all of the good tiki centralites - dangnabit - those are great folks!
Holden

I would have to agree with Ben. Tunes were great, Shag looked a little tired from the signing. Enjoyed the wine and California rolls. Was a little crowded (should have seen the gift shop!!). Just awesome to have all Shag's great works in one room. Thanks BigBro, was also neat seeing some of your collection. -Angelo

A

Uncle Arty sent me these great pics.

The Dynotones,great band

Cherry Capri. I got a kick out of the fact Cherry was recognized by 4 enthusiastic, very cool Japanese fans. they looked like the 5678's. They obviously dug the Thurston Howlies

Shag Swag.

Alnshely
Thanks Uncle Arty (stentiki)

dredging up a topic from the past...

did anyone have any other pictures from this event?

S

Hey Futura Girl,

Man, this brings back some great memories! I first met you at the Brea show, and I remember taking those pix of you and Shelly. I believe I still have some of those pix on a CD somewhere at home (I'm at work now).

I'll look for them and send them to you.

P.S. Love your webpage!

Pages: 1 23 replies