Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

unusual moai mugs that were up on ebay

Pages: 1 17 replies

not my auction, nor did i bid. out of my price reange. i have never seen these before. searched tc, did not see reference to these. anyone know the story?

[ Edited by: tikitanked on 2004-01-25 13:23 ]

is the auction over? do you have a link to it?

yes, the auction is over. the description did not give any info as to the mugs origins. if i see them ever again on ebay, i will put a link up to them, that is, of course, unless i can afford to buy them. lol

Wow! He's Puppy Maoi You-Know-What NOSE, not ears!!

Kinda cool. Either it looks like a leopardy moai, or a moai with pock-marked or acne-scarred skin.

FYI-unless the images gets stored on someones shutterfly, the above images will disappear within the next 90 days since it's a direct ebay link. Just thought I'd mention it for "historical"(?)mug purposes if anyone cares.

F

hmmmm those look new to me

T

I'm partial to moai mugs, and would like to see the link to the auction, even if it is over.

Mahalo!

Those mugs were so nearly mine,but i got outbidded then forgot to bid again, by looking at the bid history they were picked up by a sniping programme in the end.

T

And the link to the auction is...

Does anyone else think they look like Dustin Hoffman in a Snoopy costume?

Mr Freelance, that type of humor is not appre.......... ah your right, dustin hoffman ala midnight cowboy.
Tikigreg, here it is
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3654505603&category=1010&sspagename=STRK%3AMEBWA%3AIT&rd=1

T

Thanks for the link, tikitanked. I don't know why it didn't show when I did a search for it on ebay.

Having slept in and missed my chance on those tiki mugs, i searched around and found this mug miss-listed as a Sylvak celery vase..

.. it has a strong cook island look about the face but ditinctive Moai ears, another puzzeling brit-tiki mug or has anybody seen its type before?

[ Edited by: atomictonytiki on 2004-02-13 07:09 ]

Hmm, interesting. I've got one of those mugs too, Atomictonytiki, and like you, I got it in the UK. It's actually a design that has been around in various permutations (See Tikiquest for a few), but this one could indeed have been used at a UK Tiki bar. But which one...???

Trader Woody

yes, i have seen that variation on ebay, seems to be the third incarnation. almost looks like it is from a second or third generation mold, as the detail is muted. if I remember correctly, the second variation is the omc, of which your mug may be a dupe of.

I have an orangey one similar to that, not marked at all. You can see three different colours of them here:
http://www.tikiroom.net/gallery/unmarked/aee

yup mines unmarked as well, and that it could be a copy is very possible, european tiki mug makers seem quite happy to knock off others designs.
As to a possible Brit-tiki bar, well I don't think butlins ever served cocktails in tiki mugs but the design and age of the mug in my imagination could easily place it in the scarred fist of Ronnie Kray as he stands at the bar in the Mayfair Tahitain room.

R

The second one I bought one just like it in Thailand for 75 Baht (around $2). But I don't know anything about it except it holds rum well :D

Pages: 1 17 replies