Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

tiki carving ideas? are tiki's copyrighted?

Pages: 1 12 replies

I have recently been scouring the carving posts taking notes on the carving info. I think I am going to try to start the art of carving my own tikis and am trying to get as much info as I can. Your carvings are so good on this site that it has inspired me to work for the same- especially BK, Gecko, and Lake Surfer just to name a few (I know there are many more though!!!). The questions I have had now looking at the posts:
1- Where do you find your ideas? Do you try to authenticate old designs? Do you just sit down and sketch until something comes out? Just curious where you get your inspirations for your designs.

2- Are tiki designs copyrighted? A question that I have wondered about now getting into carving. Do any of you carvers actually copyright your designs? What is to keep another person from just ripping your design off. The designs I have started to come up with are basic classic designs but some of the carvers here have definite unique styles.
Can't wait for the blood, sweat, chips in the eye, and all that which comes with carving!

tiki junkman

B

Hello tiki junkman, those are All good Questions.
when I first started carving Tikis, I didn't have this Forum or any books, just had seen some tikis. It is best to get some books on Tiki and just look at carvings new and old to see what inspires you. You will find most carvers end up carving Tikis that are from Original carvings, changing only as their style suites them. Just carve what you Feel and let it flow. Don't worry about copying anybody elses art,you couldn't do it exactly anyway. Now that doesn't mean you can amke a Mold of someones work, That is stealing. But If you carve it you will see your additions coming thru. All our local "Master carvers do work that is Identifiable from Ancient pieces and they have t Specific names and meanings , but they also produce Individualized pieces that are Authentic but different, their own style.
Just get a piece of wood and some tools and draw your tiki and start cutting it out. If you would like help, answers or advice , you are in the right place.
Welcome

Thanks so much B! That is some good advice. What you say does make some sense. Just got to get to that hunk o' wood and see what manifests.

tiki junkman

B

Just keep in mind that there are Some people who downright try to Copy some guys work and sell it on ebay, just don't go there and you're OK

I am also wanting to learn to carve and was worried about the same thing. There are certain styles of tiki I really like and want to try to make for my self. Glad to see so much info avail and great people willing to help a tiki rookie

you said it newtotiki! I have met nothing but great people here and the info here is just invaluable. I can't wait to get starting carving. Yea, Benzart, know what you mean. Those "copy" artists are just no good... like school in the summer... no class.

tiki junkman

The best thing to do is like they say in the Nike commercials..."Just Do It". Get some tools, get some wood, and hop to it. You'll eventually come up with your own "comfort zone" of techniques and style, and can go from there. But carving is the best way to learn to carve...you'll improve really fast once you have the hang of it. I'm sure you'll do great. If an idiot like me can make a piece of wood look like something, then anyone can!

B

Oh Yeah to be an Idiot like you with a block of wood, was like Jesus taking a loaf of bread to feed 2 million hungry people.
Yeah we can do it,,riiighht.

Puhleeze....

B

Seriously, BK is right, Anyone can make a block of wood look like something. Just start chippin' away and soon you will have a Tiki.

R

Just remember, if you want to you could look at a picture of a Picasso, paint your own, put it on your wall and enjoy it. However, if you tried to sell your copy, then you're in trouble. It might help to "copy" a style to begin with, just don't be too rigid. Go from there and make your own style. (This is how bands start as cover bands, then they are just ripping off others style... see Creed's impersonation of Pearl Jam)

K
Kim posted on Wed, Jan 28, 2004 1:18 PM

A while back a TC carver had some work lifted directly by another carver and sold on ebay. That particular situation was resolved, but it did prompt me to post a bunch of information about copyrighting original work.

Here's the thread:
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic-new.php?topic=3120&forum=1

That should help a little!

B

That does clarify it quite a bit. However most All of us would not be caught doing anything like that, but we know there are professionals who are always on the lookout for a product to rip off.Protect ourselves , we must.

Pages: 1 12 replies