Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Tangaroa baby Tiki Disney's Tiki Room Ebay

Pages: 1 27 replies

Since Tangaroa is the hot subject now has anyone seen this baby Tiki from Disney's Enchanted Tiki Room? http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2220619197&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:US:1

I have a visual with a guy and wire cutters..

I tried bidding..... lost out at $200, and reserve still isn't met....

Ouh yesss...BOT on page 195 is one that's similar, but I have never seen it dressed up like this.
At some point they were actually selling ALL 4 types of Tongaroa's babies (see the new Shag print) in Adventureland as souvenir statues.

The small ones (6-7 inch) were made out of clay, the big ones (ca. 16 inches) were out of some kind of fiberglass, and all were painted in dull off colors.

As with other Tiki collectibles, the combination of Tiki with another highly collectible pop culture genre (Tiki Bob-Elvis, War God-Frankoma) spells DEATH for the pocket book...

For that price, he'd better make it his REAL god!

F

Wow! Closed at $717.00!

T

That one was real guys - not one of the molded ones for sale in the 60s.... Bonbonvic's bolt cutter quote is probably more accurate than you'd thnk...

"Oh mystic powers - hear my call...
From my limbs, let new life fall..."
http://www.christophermerritt.com

[ Edited by: Tangaroa on 2004-01-28 13:41 ]

Arrgh! A case of baby-napping! Tiki temple desecration!
But then again, Disney used to put quite a bit of precious stuff out to pasture, unaware of it's value (for some nutty folks like us).

I went last Thursday and checked to see if they're were any missing tangaroa babies at the tiki room, but they were all there! I waited around to get pictures of each of them as they dropped down from the tree. It was fantabulous. I think I'll be going back to enjoy the tikiroom very soon, before they "update" it. I could definitelly see someone clipping one of those babies very easily though.

T

On 2004-01-31 23:15, tikitony wrote:
I went last Thursday and checked to see if they're were any missing tangaroa babies at the tiki room, but they were all there! I waited around to get pictures of each of them as they dropped down from the tree. It was fantabulous. I think I'll be going back to enjoy the tikiroom very soon, before they "update" it. I could definitelly see someone clipping one of those babies very easily though.

hey tikitony! i'm the bastard that bought the Tangoroa tiki baby. i haven't been to the Disneyland in a while...could you post some of the pics that you mention? although this may have come from Tangoroa, there larger tiki figures were used throughout the attraction over the years. they date from 1963 however you can still find a few placed around the building's exterior. it's probably one of those.

tanks!

T

congrats on the buy, Sure, I'll post the pictures, but I used old skool film, so it'll be a while before I actually develop them. I was actually taking the pictures because I wanted to copy it to make a tangaroa baby tiki lamp. It's far different than any of my other carvings, so I'm not sure how it'll turn out.

T

So, did the seller give up where they got him? What's the height of him? Resin, right?

T

[ Edited by: Tangaroa 2007-12-08 18:51 ]

Tone Loc, that's funny, cause I just saved all the pics . I thought to myself,"I gotta carve one of those!" See you Fri? Oh yeah, congrats on the purchase! I think the seller did an inside job. Probably a uke playin' elf!

T

On 2004-02-02 11:10, Tangaroa wrote:
Highly possible it came from the Tahitian Terrace too - thats where some of my stuff comes from....

hmmm...ok. did you use the same set of wire cutters?

Isn't anyone afraid of an item being stolen property or a clever fake as the dollar amount paid for things like this or the Skipper Kent's bowl goes up and up and the temptation to unscrupulous dealers increases? I've seen this happen in other collecting hobbies.

T

well tikijakalope...

i've been collecting tiki and disneyland items for almost 20 years and i never thought fake mugs would be made. there was a time in los angeles when you couldn't walk thru a thrift store and find at least 10 - 15 mint mugs on the shelves. i do know that some of the 'rare' tiki and disneyland items you find on ebay now are fakes or at least repro's. i'm amazed that a tiki bowl can go for over 500 clams. as in all collecting, knowledge is the buyer's only weapon.

T

Here's a photo of the Tangaroa tikis dropping down.

Looking at the one you bought, Tiki63, I'd guess that it probably isn't one of these, but was maybe a tiki from somewhere else around the building. I've got a few pics of some of the smaller tikis (like near the exit stairs) that most people don't ever notice.

A very cool piece of Tiki Room though! Congrats!

TikiHula - are those photos of the smaller tiki's near the exit posted anywhere online?

X
T

Yep, there's one that I took awhile ago. I think Tiki63's was one of those! How cool!!

Mahalo...and don't forget to visit the huge Tiki Gallery at:
http://www.tradervic.com
http://www.tikiroom.net
http://www.tikimug.net
http://www.tikimugs.net

[ Edited by: TikiHula on 2004-02-03 17:12 ]

T

thanks fellas...yeah, i have seen those on tikiroom.net. great pics. of this type of tiki, i've seen four different styles. they measure around 15+- inches and are made of fiberglass. the same ones seem to be used for the exterior of both the tiki room and the tahitian terrace. a friend of mine has three except the swingin' tiki pictured above. some were removed during remodeling and some were knapped like little bits for forbidden booty!

you'd be amazed to find out how much of the tiki room is in private hands!

On 2004-02-03 17:33, tiki1963 wrote:

you'd be amazed to find out how much of the tiki room is in private hands!

WHERE is UTI !?

T

Tiki hula, dude, someone did lift that one at the exit. I took the same photo, and no hanging tiki. Since everything in the Tiki rOom is made from molds, and molds are a negative of the object. There's a store room somewhere with the entire Tiki roOm in reverse. Completely assembled as the exact opposite of the Tiki rOom as we know it. It'd be like the haunted mansion faces that stare back and follow you. Okay, maybe not, but that was going thru my mind, right before the thunder hits and makes all the little kids cry.

T

yeah, much of the tiki room is from molds, but you'd be surprised how much there is from '63. when the front thatched hut that covered the entrance collapsed a few years ago, Uti and some other parts were scrapped. i know where one of the pieces went and it was the exact original from '63...that thing had been exposed to the elements for almost 40 years and hadn't been replaced. these days, the only things disney replaces are things they can reproduce on an epson printer.

T

[ Edited by: Tangaroa 2007-12-08 18:50 ]

T

wow tangoroa....

you're pretty sour on those swell chaps! i personally think disneyland is run about as well as the rest of the company! sheesh!

T

Why you....!

HL

Many of the California Tiki Room tikis are used as decorations at the Polynesian Resort here in Florida. There's about 5 or 6 Utis there, in different places.

Upstairs on the way to the monorail there's what looks like a fresh Pele and Rongo, so I'm guessing they have duplicates of the molds here in Florida at Central Shops too.

The best thing about seeing them here is that you get to look at their backsides too. Rolly Crump detailed the backs -- one of them has a smiley face on its ass.

Pages: 1 27 replies