Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Shameless Bid for Compliments

Pages: 1 21 replies

K
Kim posted on Wed, Jan 28, 2004 12:46 PM

Tikitronic and I, having determined that:
a) living in the blah-white-walled apartment was lame and lacking in style
and
b) we're not going to move for a while (our rent is absurdly cheap-- a mortgage, even with the tax savings, would be more expensive)

decided to paint our apartment. We started with the bathroom, which required:
1 coat of primer
2 coats of dark pink on the cieling
3 coats of red on the walls
plus touching-up, and painting the cabinet, which I haven't done yet. It was a loooong process, since, on average, one coat on the bathroom walls took 4 hours, with all the corners and heaters and painting around the toilet.

But now, at last, our bathroom is a glorious deep red, with paint curing at glacial speed, because it's in the bathroom being perpetually moistened, and I want some people to say "Wow! That looks great!", so I feel better about having slaved away on this project for a week.

Therefore, before:

And after:

Incidentally, the Catholic decor in the bathroom is a sort of outgrowth of the tiki in the living room/kitchen. We're appropriating Polynesian pop in those rooms, so we're appropriating Orientalist pop in the bedroom and Catholic in the bathroom. The explanation is not intended to start a religious discussion-- it's just so you know why there's a gold Jesus on the back of the toilet.

8T

OH YEAH, that's more like it!
Paint really grabs that tile color too!
And by the way, We also mix the holy family around with the polynesian decor. Guess we Catholics can't help ourselves. We've started assembling a sort of " Jesus paint-by-numbers gallery" in the entry hall too.
You've got a nice place to enjoy now. (considering all the time you gotta be in there, why not?) You did the right thing for sure!

likes the color. understand the catholic art thing, have many peices myself. not for the religion, just for the quality of work. though jesus and the saints do not get to hang out in the bar.

Great job!

Not enough people realize that paint is the least expensive way to redecorate, yet offers the biggest impact. Don't be afraid of color!

That bathroom is hot!

Red walls is a bold, but scary option at first. We painted our den a deep dark red, "Raspberry Truffle" I beleive it was called. It turned the worst room in the house to my favorite.

You have redefined "From blah to FABulous!"
What a HUGE change - it WAS worth it, YES!
now ya wanna come paint mine?????

(I collect Mexican 'retablos', the paintings of saints on tin. Many friends have (incorrectly) assumed I'm Catholic, just by the large numbers of Mary's et al in my Moroccan/Spanish/Mexican living room!)

Coolio!

Nice shade of red, too.

I like Catholic art, it truly conveys the passion of the artist. Very vibrant and iconic.

Sounds like a great mix in your house.

C

I love bold colors. My master bedroom in the house I just sold was purple, the laundry room painted aqua. The colors became bolder as I went, I liked the boldest colors the most when it was all done.

I envy your burgundy trim tiles, my new abode's bath has pink tile with grey trim. It's rather dull.

I

I'm also one of those, who along with lots of tiki, also has a Jesus-themed bathroom in my home. This pic is from a few years back, and only shows a portion of one wall. The Last Supper PBNs are each 3 feet long - the bottom one is painted over a 3-Dimensional surface. Since then I've added much more to the room - 3-D lenticular photos, completed jigsaw puzzles, decorative cake toppings, statues, etc. The room reflects both my Catholic and thrift-store shopping heritages

I also have a bathroom that has nearly 300 plastic carnival ducks displayed on the wall -- the kind you lift up to see the number underneath to win a prize.
Someday I'll post a picture of that room too.

Vern

On 2004-01-28 12:46, Kim wrote:
We're appropriating Polynesian pop in those rooms, so we're appropriating Orientalist pop in the bedroom

Orientalist Pop.

Good term.

I've been calling it "50's Chinese", but I like O-pop better.

I have my living room slowly becoming more Orientalist Pop every day (visitors who saw the place during Exotica 2003 wouldn't recognize it now: painted the lving room red and the Aku Hall green; added more Chineese stuff and a rug to the living room).

I wonder how many TC people who have a Tiki Room have a far east room too?

Anyone other than Kim and me?

tikibars wrote:
...I wonder how many TC people who have a Tiki Room have a far east room too?

Why yes, yes I do!

On 2004-01-29 00:58, tikibars wrote:

On 2004-01-28 12:46, Kim wrote:
We're appropriating Polynesian pop in those rooms, so we're appropriating Orientalist pop in the bedroom

Orientalist Pop.

Good term.

I wonder how many TC people who have a Tiki Room have a far east room too?

I also like the term Orientalist Pop.
Lady Velour has also painted her Bathroom red. It is slowly becoming more decorated as space is VERY limmited. She accualy based the bathroom around a $9.99 plastic haning lamp she found in Chinatown in San Francisco. The lamp was destroyed after the neighbor upstairs left her tub running and the water pressure pushed the hook out.

K
Kim posted on Thu, Jan 29, 2004 10:33 AM

I figured "Orientalist pop" would be a more accurate description than "Chinese" or even "Asian", since we're trying to create a room that evokes the sense of hedonistic luxury that's portrayed in Orientalist art from the 1800s. It’s “real” Oriental even less than the 50’s faux-tiki is “real” Polynesian. It’s a very flexible mishmash of Middle-to-Far-East, including Persia, Iran & Iraq, Egypt, northern Africa, and Asia, just to name a few. It’s sensual and velvety, and most appropriate for a bedroom (nudge, nudge). When we’re finished with our room I’ll post some photos of that too—the bedroom is next on the painting list.

There are lots of online sources that show examples of Orientalist art
http://www.orientalistart.net/index.html
http://www.orientalist-art.org.uk/

Sugar Caddy Daddy, I noticed your Asian dining room photo in the Thrift Shop Finds thread—very nice!

KK

"Ain't no messing with the Jesus, maing"!
Very nice remodeling. Whether renting or buying, it's better to be in love than to simply tolerate (that probably goes for a lot of things).

Love the bathroom! May I suggest a decadent toilet seat bearing some kind of embellishment, and a shower curtain of crushed velvet, perhaps? The outside curtain, of course. I also say let there be big fat tassels on the curtain, to make a dramatic statement.
TikiGoddess, living vicariously through other people's decorating

#
#54 posted on Fri, Jan 30, 2004 8:08 PM

Is Jesus no longer religious?

On 2004-01-30 20:08, #54 wrote:
Is Jesus no longer religious?

Jesus Who?

B

"Oh, Save Me Jebus!!"

#
#54 posted on Fri, Jan 30, 2004 9:52 PM
Tiki Central - Exception

Oh no.

An error occurred. Site administrators have been notified of the error.