Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

viewmaster reels

Pages: 1 14 replies

D

is there a way to make prints from a viewmaster reel?

you could put them in a scanner and then print them out on photo quality paper

I had a bunch of old Viewmaster reels that I wanted to do something with a while back. I found one of those old Viewmaster projectors at a thrift store. I showed the reels onto a screen while I had my camcorder set up on a tripod and made a movie out of them. Then I dubbed a soundtrack onto the video. It turned out great, and it is a lot more fun to watch than using those old viewers.

S

I have a scanner that has a lighted top for scanning slides. I plan to use that to scan all our Viewmaster disks. We set up the Viewmaster projector at parties, but I wish it would advance itself.

So, just go buy a new scanner!

That's project #107 of my list... Actually, Kiliki's list.

Speaking of which, if you can track down the reels from the Polynesian Cultural Centre (I found them on Ebay for like 5 bucks) You won't be disappointed. I spied at least a half dozen photos with Tiki's in it. One is even of a tiki carver. Reel one alone is worth the price of admission. The rest contain photos of other great stuff like Hula Dancers, Tapa, Grass huts, etc.

Go find it and thank me later...

[ Edited by: Slacks Ferret 2006-01-11 20:03 ]

D

I've been collecting View Master reels for awhile now. I bring them out for parties and gatherings, sadly no one ever seems interested in them but me...ho-hummmm... Some people just don't get it!

I think the Tiki Gardens Florida viewmaster reels are the most sought after by Tikiphiles, I wonder if there are any other Tiki location ones...

S

I think the Kahiki viewmaster reel is the most sought after! At least by me. I saw it on Ebay a while back. Jeff Central may have been the winner. I can't recall.

I just got myself a set of the Tiki Gardens viewmaster reels and they are teh roxor!
My only complaint: I can't see any tiki mugs in the photo of the shop interior. It looks like there is a shelf that might have mugs on it about 60 feet away from where the photo was taken, but one can't be sure.

Still a great set if any of you collect viewmaster reels.

I have some View-Master reels of Disneyland, but they don't have any Tiki Room stuff on them. I'm sure I remember seeing some Tiki Room images on some old reels, though. There were lots of Disneyland sets they put out.

BTW...if you guys have red/blue 3D glasses and want to see that moai-like head from the Submarine Voyage in 3D, I can post it.

On 2007-04-19 19:20, Slacks Ferret wrote:
I just got myself a set of the Tiki Gardens viewmaster reels and they are teh roxor!
My only complaint: I can't see any tiki mugs in the photo of the shop interior. It looks like there is a shelf that might have mugs on it about 60 feet away from where the photo was taken, but one can't be sure.

Still a great set if any of you collect viewmaster reels.

I scanned some of the Tiki Gardens Viewmaster so I could get a better look. Here is the inside of the gift shop.

The only tiki I was able to find is the carved one on the counter

Got this 1958 view-master reel with #7 "Exotic food at a luau at Don the Beachcomber's". Sorry but I don't have a negative scanner.

Trad'r Bill

Another Tiki Gardens View-Master set up is for auction...still sealed (RARE!) and current bid is $27 (not bad for this set, especially considering its condition):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261049219283

Update: The auction closed for $38.26. No doubt this particular set will resurface with a $50 markup soon. :)

~cs

[ Edited by: Tiki Wachee 2012-06-26 16:06 ]

[ Edited by: Tiki Wachee 2012-06-26 16:09 ]

[ Edited by: Tiki Wachee 2012-06-27 08:18 ]

For those still looking, here's another copy of VIEW MASTER PACKET A974: TIKI GARDENS on eBay. The seller for this particular set doesn't bother with an auction. This one is Buy It Now for $34.99 plus shipping.

It's the right time to buy. I've seen no less than SIX of these sets on eBay in the last three or four months and THREE of them were still sealed NOS. All sets have been selling for about $35, which is considerably less than the $100 price I've seen mentioned elsewhere. So, again, it's the right time to buy. Jump before it's gone!

Earlier in this thread, from a post TEN YEARS ago, someone mentioned a View-Master reel with the Kahiki Supper Club as its subject. Since I came across the post, I've been doing some digging and I can't find any information to corroborate its existence. My View-Master reference books don't list it. And my View-Master collector contacts have been silent.

Can anyone tell me if there actually IS a View-Master reel on the Kahiki Supper Club ? If so, is it a consumer-level reel (i.e. one that was sold in stores) ? A commercial / promotional reel (i.e. distributed by Kahiki as advertising/promotional material) ? Or a Personal reel (i.e. personal photos in View-Master format.) ?

Any information would be of great help. Thanks.

Pages: 1 14 replies