Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Tiki @ Target

Pages: 1 25 replies

I was in Target last night and saw (or should I say bought) these really cool tiki boxers and tiki pj bottoms. The boxers are dark army green with three tiki's in the corner and it says "dance with the natives". The pj bottoms are the same but with just the pictures of the tiki's all over. The boxers were $4.99 and the pj bottoms were $9.99. Super tikirific!

Thanks for the tip - I think I pick up a pair or two.

Extend the time that much longer to do my laundry.

Target also has a string of patio lights with cylindrical wooden covers made up of sticks lashed together. And, they have a metal and glass pineapple sculpture that might fit well on an outdoor tiki bar. They've also resurrected the old burlap-look insulated plastic glasses - not tiki, but if you favor insulated glasses these are less in conflict with the theme than most.

On 2004-01-30 11:26, Atomicchick wrote:
....The boxers are dark army green with three tiki's in the corner and it says "dance with the natives". The pj bottoms are the same but with just the pictures of the tiki's all over....

Hmmm..naaaw, those are not Tikis, more like cartoony characters with square humanoid faces. Disappointing, after there is so much good Tiki source material out now. The stuff old Navy had out in the late 90s was better.

T

On 2004-01-31 23:01, bigbrotiki wrote:

....The boxers are dark army green with three tiki's in the corner and it says "dance with the natives". The pj bottoms are the same but with just the pictures of the tiki's all over....

Hmmm..naaaw, those are not Tikis, more like cartoony characters with square humanoid faces. Disappointing, after there is so much good Tiki source material out now. The stuff old Navy had out in the late 90s was better.

Sven, I agree. Yesterday was much better than today could ever be (unless it becomes a 'yesterday' tomorrow).

K
Kono posted on Sun, Feb 1, 2004 8:17 PM

I miss the late 90s. :( The late 80s were even better. I bet the late deuce double oughts are gonna suck. Oh well. :wink:

[ Edited by: Kono on 2004-02-01 20:19 ]

[ Edited by: Kono on 2004-02-01 20:22 ]

The stuff old Navy had out in the late 90s was better.

I agree. My Old Navy tiki boxers are a much better representation to tiki.

However, I can't let the perfect stand in the way of the tiki. I still got the drawstring pajama pants (didn't find the boxers).

Why is olive green the color of choice?

They remind me of the comic book "Milk & Cheese," but only a little...

T

I got my pair of the boxers and they are super-comfortable to sleep in, tiki or not.

The late deuce double oughts. I like thay. In the military people say Balls for two zeros so the 80's the 90's this decade is the balls. Have a good balls 4.

Why do the boxers say "Kuta Beach, Bali?"

I believe that Bali has substantial tiki similarities, although I didn't go to Kuta Beach, yet am I missing something?

"Sven, I agree. Yesterday was much better than today could ever be (unless it becomes a 'yesterday' tomorrow). "

"It" already has. But yes you're right, the glory days of the late 90's where something else, with old navy and all.

the only way to settle this is to see pictures of atomicchick in the above mentioned clothing.....

They remind me of the comic book "Milk & Cheese," but only a little...

Milk and Cheese creator Evan Dorkin is a bit of a Tiki fan.

MERV GRIFFIN!

Hi all, i'm new to the forum. I came across this topic and thought I'd throw my 2 cents in. I have a pt gig at Target and we just got in some very cool bamboo stuff. Look in the candle section (Green world) and you will find various bamboo and pineapple candles and holders. Very cool a 2 foot bamboo candle holder with a hurricane glass inside. I just got this job, so I am still looking around the store for tiki related items and would be happy to post what I find if you folks would like! :)

Dimethios! We would LOVE! Of course we may, also, strike your findings to the ground and curse them as being "Not Worthy" or "Unauthentic" (speaking for the entire room now) but we'd rather hear about it than not! Some, as a matter of fact, would probably rather post what they know about how HORRIBLE some of it is than go without knowing about it to begin with.

I was given a pack of Cocktail Napkins last summer that came from Target and has Hula Girls on it. By the time I got over to Target to see if they had more they had already warehoused all of the Summer stuff. These things are BEAUTIFUL! They make Shag Napkins look like Ridiculously Overpriced Pieces of Toilet Paper! I have also purchased much glassware from Target and Plastic Cocktail Animals, as well. Target is, while perhaps not Tiki-Centric, a very "Cocktail Culture" Aware retail chain.

On 2004-03-13 22:13, Traitor Vic wrote:
Target is, while perhaps not Tiki-Centric, a very "Cocktail Culture" Aware retail chain.

Well, Target's motto for it's employes is "fast, fun and friendly" I dunno about fast but what's more fun and friendly than drinking an exotic drink out of a tiki!

Look in the Target flyer in Sunday/ todays paper. The middle page, under the flap, bottom right hand corner, black model with bikini. We were there when they were filming it. Can anyone tell me where we were?? Look close. It's kinda blurry.

(maybe some photo pros can post a pic of it)

Ask and you shall receive... though I have no idea as to the location...

C

Let's see....treeless mountains in the background...dark brown two story hotel building with walkways in front of rooms...palm trees...bamboo surrounding pool...possible tiki in background...really it looks familiar to me so I'm going with my first instinct here.

Caliente Tropics. Final answer.

[ Edited by: Cultjam on 2004-03-14 17:37 ]

We have a Weeeeener!!! They should be running them till the end of spring/summer. Look for more in da future.

I'm going to have mr. pineapple photshop our wedding picture into this!!! that's us, getting married on the stage, crazy al blowing the conch, beachballs flying, oh my...

Attention Traitor Vic and anyone else interested. You mentioned wanting hula girl napkins from Target. Well they are back. Hurry!! They are on an endcap in section C37 (should be the same or close in any Target) (Blue world) I just set the entire end cap 2 days ago. There are also Hula girl and Hula guy figures, palm tree swizle sticks and other various hawaiian themed items there. This is a new batch, added to the current Hawaiian theme. Other items of interest... a Tiki air freshener for the car (look in automotive isle and endcap) a dancing hula girl air freshner (bottom half swings back and forth) also surfboards, Hawaiian shirts and palm tree fresheners. Unfortunatly my Target is out of stock of the Tiki ones so I have no idea what they look like. Today was my last day there so, I will have to check back to see if they come in. I still have friends keeping an eye out for anything Tiki/Hawaiian etc.. so I can still inform everyone of stuff. They are starting to put some pineapple and various palm tree items on clearance. Check the endcaps in domestics. OH OH I almost forgot!! I found a TIKI JOE'S T-shirt for my son. :) There are none in adult sizes sorry! :( I was bummed about that. I will post a pic of it in my next post if I can figure it out! :) On another note. I was at an A.J. Wrights recently (which is owned by Marshall's and TJ Maxx) looking for Tiki stuff and found a TIKI windchime. Nothing worth buying. No sign of Tiki anywhere on it. It's just a green wooden windchime. But they had some nice Hawaiian shirts in 1x-5x. Just thought I would pass that along.

On 2004-04-16 18:50, Dimethios wrote: a Tiki air freshener for the car (look in automotive isle and endcap) a dancing hula girl air freshner (bottom half swings back and forth) . . . .I found a TIKI JOE'S T-shirt for my son.

Excellent Target shopping tips. There is one right by me, so I will have to check it out.

On 2004-04-16 18:50, Dimethios wrote:
I was at an A.J. Wrights recently (which is owned by Marshall's and TJ Maxx) looking for Tiki stuff and found a TIKI windchime. Nothing worth buying. No sign of Tiki anywhere on it. It's just a green wooden windchime.

Just curious -- if it didn't have any sign of tiki anywhere on it and it was just a green wooden windchime, why do you call it a TIKI windchime?

The box says, "Tiki wind chime" on it. After further inspection on my part, I determined it wasn't Tiki at all. Sorry I wasn't clear on that before.

Pages: 1 25 replies