Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Comments about Ikea rattan furniture?

Pages: 1 7 replies

Here are a rattan chair & table. They are reasonable priced & fairly attractive in my opinion. The chair costs $40, & the table costs $20.

They are also Ikea. I'm half-way considering buying these for an area that I intend to 'tiki-fy'.

I don't love/hate Ikea, & I certainly have a few of their products in my home.

I can't afford to go vintage; I can't wait around for a bargain or garage sale; & I probably can't afford shipping from California or elsewhere.

I'm just wondering what TCers reactions are to the chair & table. I'm not in love w/ them, but I think they maybe could work in a tiki space.

Let me know what you think & if you have any better sources of inexpensive rattan furniture.

Thanks in advance,
Tiki Chris

[ Edited by: Tiki Chris on 2004-01-30 17:35 ]

S
SES posted on Fri, Jan 30, 2004 2:31 PM

I bought the papasan chair from Pier 1 and their foot rest sans the cushion. I added a nice round heavy glass top(purchased at Michael's crafts) over the foot rest and created a nice table. I like the round better than the one above. I can't tell if the chair is for one or two people?

D

Tiki Chris, I'm not in love with them but you could Dr.(wink) that chair up to look pretty good! I am also in the market for 2 reasonable priced rattan/bamboo chairs. I might have to go get two of these untill I can find chairs that I really want to spend my money on. I'm off to Ikea. BYE!

T

I ALWAYS see vintage rattan chairs at the Goodwill. You mayt want to check there first, you might find something cool. Then again, the IKEA ones will be in better shape.

D

Yea, I hit the thrift stores often. Last summer I found a old dilapidated rickety living room set. I am sure it was great in it's day. But it was too far gone for even redoing. Plus Goodwill wanted 299.00 for it. I was pretty sad to see it just sit there unwanted, I tried to talk (more like begged) the manager into lowering the price, unfortunately I am the worst haggler. No luck, he just saw it as making it more valuable, the next time I went into the store they had raised the price to 350.00 :roll: it figures....

[ Edited by: DawnTiki on 2004-01-30 15:04 ]

Thanks for the tips, y'all. I'm checking the thrift stores pretty regularly. nothing so far. I did, however, find a huge rattan table & a thick glass top on the side of the road w/ someone's garbage. It's as good as new. I reckon it's worth a couple hundred easy.

Whatever furniture I get will be for commercial use. So sturdiness & perceived cleanliness/newness will be pretty important.

susane: I've got the Pier One papasons in mind too.

DawnTiki: How would you "doctor" them up?

Thanks,
Chris

[ Edited by: Tiki Chris on 2004-01-30 17:34 ]

D

Make some cool barkcloth cushions, or maybe some natural colored hula skirting around the bottom to hide the legs. I talked myself out of going to Ikea today, its an all day trip for me when I make it to one, so I'll go Monday instead.

T

The last time I was at the goodwill, thay had about 50 rattan chairs, all identical, all new. It loked like a tiki bar just went out of business! But more like a Fikipino furniture shop. In any case, I don't need any. But it was kinda fun to see...

I see the papasan chairs at goodwill all the time too.

Saw an Eames recliner once, but the bastards knew what it was, and put it in their 'auction'.

Pages: 1 7 replies