Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

First Carving in 10+ years

Pages: 1 22 replies

B

Well I finally dug up all the tools and begun work on this little Maori guy. It is about half done and I hope I can finish it up in the next few days. It is 1 1/2 inches tall.
Here it is from yesterday.
Here is current state and The wood looks like Walnut, but has a fairly open grain.
Is It gonna turn out any good?? I'll have a long way to go to get there,

[ Edited by: Benzart on 2004-01-30 20:51 ]

Well, it is about freakin time! Don't stop champ. You'll be at fighting weight in no time. Like in 10 minutes by the looks of your latest carving.

8T

Wow man that's some intricate work. Now I remember you....you're the guy who wrote The Lord's Prayer 28 times on a grain of rice.
Couldn't you find a smaller piece of wood?
What did you prop up the sofa with when you chopped off the leg to make that?

OK seriously, that is nice. What is it going to be, an amulet or ????
He's ready to carve & gouge a new masterpiece folks....CAN SOMEONE DONATE BENZART A FEW GOOD LOGS?

Benzart, that really is cool! To me, the fact that it is so small adds to its appeal as well. The design would make a great chunky silver ring.

http://www.samgambino.com

That's the tops...Glad it was here for all to witness! I'd say all of us other guys should brace ourselves to be put to shame...Wanna do a big Hale Tiki tiki? I know Brad needs stuff and the sources are limited..

Benz, you still got it (in the voice of ralph the mouth)
That is really cool, would like to wear that as a charm.
more please.

B

Thanks, I doubt though anyone is gonna be Put to shame , Especially you BK.
I don't think I'm up to anything Big, though I'd love to be able to do some Hale Tiki stuff. Let me know how I can help.
Tikitanked, thanks, when I finish this one I'll definately do some more.
Gotta work my way back up since my tools are very limited for now.
There is a Wood Carvers show next weekend in Port Saint Lucie and maybe I can squeeze a few bucks from the wife to get a few tools ..

Hope you score some good tools. let me know if you make more of the maori heads and are willing to sell or trade one.
thanks

T

Benzart, that would make a great necklace. Glad to see you back at it!

B

Thanks, tiis one is already on a leather neck loop. When it is finished, I have some white Oak that may turn into some Maori carvings, there are many I would like to try.The Maori art is very intricate and demanding. I hope I can do it justice.BasementKahuna has met the ancient carver spirit and he knows the beauty of the maori.He has the carvings as proof. When I get more done I'll have to toss around what a fair price would be.
benzart

you rock dude! Great detail, I think I smell Ben Davis limited edition Tiki Farm mug...

Ben, I saw a stock of old Tropicana postcards today, but the wrong era..(1960's?). I'd love to have one with one of your carvings in the photo...Do any such postcards exist that you know of?

B

BK, None that I know of were made, but it sure seems likley they would have made some.
I will ask around to see what is available, I'd like some too.
We may just have to make our own.
Benzart

[ Edited by: Benzart on 2004-02-01 07:05 ]

Nice start Ben. So how did it feel? Are you excited about getting back into it, and did you ever think that you would carve again after ten years?
I'm still planning on coming to see you at some time, but right now I have commissions piled to the ceiling. Do you plan on going to Hukilau in Fort Lauderdale in September?

Nice - look forward to seeing more.

B

Heres a Short Updateand
Flounderart:Thanks,Fantastic,way too much, OK, and Big yes..
I'm not sure this was the right oiece of wood to use on such a small carving, the grain is too difficult. Hopefully I can manage to clean it up enough.
One thing I had'nt thought about wasjust posting photos of my old work got a great response and now that I'm creating another piece, it's like will it be as good as my Old stuff. That fearcame up and almost stopped me from showing the thing. Oh well, there it is.

C

Are you kidding?

We're all thrilled to see your new stuff.

I hope others aren't holding back their new works, it's a big part of this forum's appeal.

K

great to see you carving again. Cant wait to see more!

C

Looks like carvin' is like riding a bike Diggin the details Benz. Make a couple more of thse things offer to the TC Ohana and you will have some chisel change in no time.
Keep it up, I too want to see more of your work .
Chongolio

B

Thanks, but I need to keep it small. I definately will be butchering up some wood and anything I do, you guys get first crack.If I caan carve enough to sell and make enough money to break even then I;ll be alright. I'll need a Big first-aid kit to cover the band-aids ans emergencey room sewups. So far I've cut my fingers about 5 times and most were pretty ugly(no stitches yet). This is an aspect I had not really thought of that is painfully reminding me.
But I still loove it...GEt In Line.

K
Kanaka posted on Mon, Feb 2, 2004 2:38 PM

Glad to see you back too, and with such detail!

It's hard to believe you took a 10 year hiatus, this carving is top notch. I'd love to see your other work!

Thanks for the pictures and keep updates coming.

B

Bump, I'll see if I can match some pic's to these pages in the next couple weeks.

Pages: 1 22 replies