Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

World's Largest Mai Tai and Tiki Mug

Pages: 1 24 replies

I proposed this to Chiki Tiki WAAAY back at Tiki Farm's "Big Ole Tiki Bash" and the TIME HAS COME...

Tiki Diablo (aka chiki tiki) as many of you know has carved the most beautiful and largest tiki mug we'all have ever scene...

So I think we HAVE to do the Guiness World record for largest mai tai mug this year at Tiki Oasis. There is time this time around to set it up... It has to be applied for roughly 10 weeks in advance of the event. There is no entry fee if you apply far enough in advance + plus it'll get our master carver Chiki some good publicity.

I did a search on guiness for "tiki mug' and "mai tai" and there were no records.

So Chiki - are you down? Do you want me to start the application - or do you want to?

Also who's wants to donate some booze etc. for it...

Chiki we'll need to figure out just how much that mug'll hold.

[ Edited by: Futura Girl on 2004-02-01 03:43 ]

I remember talking to Danny about this last year. I think its a great idea for Tiki Oasis! Would be cool to see that thing in the Guiness Book of World Records --

I have a lot of booze left over that I don't drink, so I will bring some.
And to quote Dr. Frankenstien "how big should we make it?"
What are we going to mix it in?
You guys will want to drink it the rest of the weekend.
Will Bacardi sponsor? Capt. Morgan?
If everyone brought some would we need a sponsor?
What do ya think?
We could mix it in a giant kiddie pool.
(from Toyz am be-in We)
Then we take 5 gallon buckets and fill Danny's mug.
I can't wait to see Bong lick the pool dry when we are done.
Please Sir, may I have another S-press-O
triple shot please???????????

I gots me an idea, how tall is that mug?

TG

LET"S DO IT! I'll get the capacity and get it prepped for food safe service. Oh yes, it is 51" tall at the front. You should have seen Octavio(135lbs?) wrestle this sucker. He's scrappy!

okay - let's do it...
and getting a sponsor is a great idea -
i am gonna ask cherry to spearhead this campaign :wink: she's just the kinda girl for the job!!! what a kick - Tiki Central will go down the history books.

[ Edited by: filslash 2008-09-10 13:48 ]

W

Youza! that is one heavy gigantor Mug. It took 3 guys and a dolly to bring it up to the second floor where the photostudio is. And a lot of painkillers the day after...

Lets say, we make the biggest MAITAI and get a couple of gals to wrestle in it!

*On 2004-02-01 13:08, filslash wrote:*KPOI, our radio station made the World's Largest Mai Tai a few years ago...(2001)
I remember that the main problem was finding a place to put the tank we rented for the event. when filled with liquid, it was so heavy, it had to be on concrete.

However, The Guiness People did not certify the results, even though we had filled out the paperwork, snapped all the pictures they requested, etc!
I'll try and find the pictures. It was rough job, and we did it with the help and sponsorship of Bacardi.
The Hawaii department of health, and the liquer comission both sent representatives to check it all out.

how big was your mai tai then? i guess we'll just have to go for "largest mai tai in a tiki mug"

S
SES posted on Sun, Feb 1, 2004 2:40 PM

hah with a live drink stir stick person

I've been in correspondance with Basement Kahuna, about the idea of carving a Trader Frank's swizzle stick to mix the drink with, and hes very hip to the idea.
So if you want to make the worlds largest ( ok maybe not the largest in an industrial tank ) Mai Tai, I'm offering to stir it with the worlds largest ( ok I don't know that its the worlds largest, but cut me some slack ) swizzle stick.
The visual alone would be both hilarious, and awesome!
Tiki Gardener
http://www.exotic-tiki-gardens.com

[ Edited by: TikiGardener on 2004-02-01 17:58 ]

T

On 2004-02-01 10:12, thebaxdog wrote:
I can't wait to see Bong lick the pool dry when we are done.

Baxdog, Baxdog, that wasn't the pool...

I think the swizzle stick idea is absolutely fabulous! Take lots of pictures of you creating the piece... maybe we can get a repeat performance by the girl in Winky's photo for a little added bonus!

Swizzle me ! BK make it ORANGE or FUSCHIA babee !

[ Edited by: thechikitiki on 2004-02-01 23:15 ]

G
GECKO posted on Mon, Feb 2, 2004 7:03 PM

dats wun schweeet tasting idea! good luck Chiki and da rest of you who help in da project! GREAT IDEA! take lotsa pics! Send me a pic Chiki.

Just checked and I can get the kiln-dried white oak (non-toxic, what they make whiskey barrels from)in 6-foot lengths for 21.00 each. It's 1x but would work. So???

I assume we want this with the Trader Frank's tiki top but without the Trader Frank's logo?

Hmmmmm. Maybe just a plain cylindrical shaft. Would it be possible to give it more of a blade end? It would help the stirring of large volumes of rum.

I'm torn though. Having a huge Trader Frank's swizzle in the corner has its appeal!

Flip a coin and surprise me!

TG

DZ

For a Mai Tai, wouldn't a Trader Vic's swizzle be more appropriate?

Let's do this then. I'm going to carve up the back with a logo or script like them ole' time mugs. Any suggestions peeps?

[ Edited by: thechikitiki on 2004-02-04 01:03 ]

S
SES posted on Wed, Feb 4, 2004 12:35 AM

On 2004-02-03 23:57, thechikitiki wrote:
Let's do this then. I'm going to carve up the back with a logo or script likt them ole' time mugs. Any suggestions peeps?

Shecky?

T

DOn't put any ladies in the drink without a hairnet or you'll have the health department on your ass!

Also, I don't think I would drink any if someone had been bobbing around in there already.

On 2004-02-03 22:54, Doctor Z wrote:
For a Mai Tai, wouldn't a Trader Vic's swizzle be more appropriate?

Indeed! Hey BK, would you be averse to doing the Trader Vics swizzle, for the effort? I still want a giant Trader Frank's one.
This way, the swizzle I want would have the logo, and be a faithfull repro.
The only catch to this is I couldn't afford to fund a Trader Vic's and a Trader Frank's.
Maybe you could auction off the Trader Vic's. Given the pedigree it will have, you could make a mint on it.
IDEAS people? chime in...
TG

Jungletrader, I made this mug out aof a palm log. No hardwood but it was hard as hell. Go for a bigger one fo sho!

Sure, I could do the Trader Vic's. Would you want a Menehune, a Sali, or a Paddle?

Pages: 1 24 replies